FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bags

What kind of bag do you use?
backpack
70%
 70%  [ 26 ]
messenger bag
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
suitcase
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
handbag
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
other
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
none
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 37

Sphaerenkern
In my school, the young children use knapsack, the older ones use rucksacks and the last to classes mostly use messenger bags.
I find this bag-hierarchy kinda funny. I myself used a messenger bag (by Freitag) for a quite long time while I was primarily riding a bike, I thought they're quite casual but now I'm skateboarding and when I carry something heavier than a few sheets, a messenger bag seems pretty unpracticable to me, especially when you need to balance while you're skateboarding Smile
Now I use a backbag (again) because they're balanced, comfortable and I can carry more weight with them.

So, what kinda bags to you use in your everyday life - and why?
Magicman
This is an odd question. I use a backpack for school but I only use it to bring things to and from school and I rarely actually carry it. I have a few other bags that I use for sports equipment and clothes sometimes but my backpack is my main bag.
Sphaerenkern
Magicman wrote:
This is an odd question.

Why that?
BPrice
I use a rucksack because its balanced and stable.
Magicman
Sphaerenkern wrote:
Magicman wrote:
This is an odd question.

Why that?

Because it is just a very random question to ask.
minty
I use a backpack to carry my school supplies for the day (books, sprial notebooks, folder w/ handouts and homework) and to carry my day to day work life (laptop, noise canceling headphones, camera [recently lost Sad at a Subway resturant], weekly planner, spiral notebook for work notes, and boot cd's). I tried wearing a messenger back for a while, however, I hated it. It would always bounce against my thighs and annoy the crap out of me. Finally, I purchased a backbag with a laptop protector enclosed (a matted area with a velcro strap to keep the laptop in and protect from other items in the bag). Even though it makes me look like I am 14 or so, I love the bag because it is roomy, has an adequate amount of storage compartments (a few more wouldn't hurt), doesn't hurt my back, can run with it (just tighten the straps).

--minty
ocalhoun
A hard-sided briefcase, of course.
It looks professional, has locks, and works well for what I need it for.
Afaceinthematrix
I use a backpack, I love them. I use one to carry stuff to an from school. I use it to carry things around when I'm trying to save gas by riding a bike. I have another big one for when I go camping/backpacking/trekking. They're extremely useful.
lethaltriad
I usually use a backpack.. convenient for me to keep my hands free and just have my bag on my back. I barely carried any books to school though so anyone of them would be good lol. I just noticed the older I got.. i carried less books... when i was very small.. my bag would almost be the same size as myself
Sphaerenkern
lethaltriad wrote:
I usually use a backpack.. convenient for me to keep my hands free and just have my bag on my back. I barely carried any books to school though so anyone of them would be good lol. I just noticed the older I got.. i carried less books... when i was very small.. my bag would almost be the same size as myself

Yeah, funny to see these little kids with huge knapsacks. A friend joked that the knapsacks are packed by careful mommies so they're perfectly balanced, otherwise the kids would just fall over...
meet in rio
I use a shoulder bag which lies across by body (is that what you mean by messenger bag?) because

a) I don't own a sturdy rucksack,
b) It gets bloody cold here in winter and I would keep having to readjust the straps in order to fit it over my coat/thousand sweaters and
c) it's easier to reach into it for keys/purse/a pen without having to take it off and unzip it fully.

I ride a bike, which would make it difficult if I didn't have a basket/panniers. Backpacks are great for carrying shopping, though.
nivre
i generally use backpacks to have carry my school stuffs. have lot of books and paper works to do so its very useful if you have a big one...
Sphaerenkern
meet in rio wrote:
I use a shoulder bag which lies across by body (is that what you mean by messenger bag?)

Yes, it's called messenger bag. I used that term cause it's shorter than yours Smile
Xzoz
I use a messenger bag. Mainly because it was the only type of bag that had a Hammerfall logo on it Wink And I like the closeness of it, never too hard to reach and grab a pen or anything from inside if you have to write something down, and also rather easy to pack down thing even if you have it on you, not too hard to pull it to the front and just stuff it full with books Laughing
Used to have a backpack, though that really became unnecessary once I got up a bit in school, didn't need to drag as many books around.
But that's my view of it all, think it's more a matter of personal taste and functionality than style or fashion.
Fishbowl444
I'm in high school, I need a backpack
PatTheGreat42
I usually use a backpack, but for a while there I was using a messenger bag. Don't really know what I thought the advantage was, except that I thought it was kind of cool. Used it for about a year before it fell out of use in favor of a very simple, old standard backpack. I like simple things.
vonvincent
i would prefer to have sling/messenger bags. itsvery easy to grab your things from your side. it is also comfortable not putting wieght at your back. also good for laptops when your carrying them around. Bad side is, when your riding a public utility vehicle like a bus and you have no seat and standing, its annoying to sway from side to side because it will be bump by people passing by....
tijn01
I normally use a backpack because it is a lot nicer on my back, since you carry the load symmetrically. When I go to the shop I often take cotton bags, to safe the environment on plastic bags. I find it unbelievable how may people still use plastic bags, they should be banned all together!!!!!
Afaceinthematrix
tijn01 wrote:
I normally use a backpack because it is a lot nicer on my back, since you carry the load symmetrically. When I go to the shop I often take cotton bags, to safe the environment on plastic bags. I find it unbelievable how may people still use plastic bags, they should be banned all together!!!!!

Yes!!! I wish more people would think like us! I work at a store and people use so many bags! They'll buy a t-shirt and then ask me to double bag it "in case it rips" and I'll refuse. The other day someone wanted me to give them a whole new bag because the one I gave him had a little whole in it. The whole was about 1 centimeter in diameter and his item was about 12 centimeters in diameter, so there's no way it could have fallen out. Americans are so wasteful! It annoys me.
GeoS
I've used these messenger bags for four years. My shoulders feel strangely unbalanced...
Liu
I've been meaning to pick up a leather or black cloth messenger bag since it looks more professional in the IT world. However, I've been sticking with a backpack for now.
Sphaerenkern
It's nice to see that you try to avoid plastic bags Smile
With a backpack, you seem so heavily loaded... I'll try some belt pouch like this when I'm just skating.
For Laptops + accessories, a backpack seems most practical, though.
Jaan
Backpack for school. When I'm going somewhere I try to go 'no-bag-nito' and not carry a bag at all.

Okok, bad joke. Evil or Very Mad
arquivo
I use a messenger bags... first reason i like it and the second one is: to hold all my stuffs in my hands would be terrible... cell fone, pendrive, some magazine, papers, camera, the cat and the dog... yeah, i need that bag...
Anyway, once days ago, a woman who was selling something in the streets, said me... i liked your bag, it,s a "man style" look that guys there, i dont think that king of bag is for man... so be carefull in choice a bag..hehehe
ZenFountain
Usually a messenger bag, but sometimes a backpack if I have a lot of books.
mina
I use a messenger bag, because I needed something for work that would hold all my random stuff, and that didn't look too unprofessional. I like using backpacks when I'm going to need to carry more stuff, but i also get irritated sometimes by them.

Sometimes I just carry a purse, but it's too small to hold all the things that I want to carry with me, so now it's getting big holes in it from stuffing too much in there... Sad

But my messenger bag is my favorite... plus, it's got a cute logo on the front. Very Happy
JohnCarlo
I am comfortable with messenger bag, that is what i used when i was still in school and even now that i am working
hlavco
I use backpacks. Even if you're not carrying much, it's nice to have extra space just in case you wind up needing it. Same reason I got a soft cover for my pickup instead of a hard cover. You can just unroll it and use the bed wherever you are. I like to be prepared.
william
To carry everything, I prefer backpacks. The reason being is that I carry a lot of stuff, and backpacks are convenient. I really don't like holding stuff in my hands (I like to keep them free) and in addition to that, I dislike shoulder straps. In my backpack, I carry all the stuff I would need, plus my laptop. However, often I'll carry a messenger bag if I either have nothing but my laptop, or a lot of stuff in my backpack and no space for the laptop. Occasionally though, backpacks get heavy, and the convenience of having my hands free is outweighed by the weight. It's not hard to carry, it just gets a little annoying after a few hours. If I didn't carry a lot of stuff, I would get a relatively large and high quality laptop messenger bag with space for my laptop plus accessories, other pieces of tech (smart phone, multimedia device, etc.), a couple books and some other everyday stuff, such as keys. I tend to use my pockets a lot. Sometimes by the end of the day I'll have sheets of paper, my phone, pencils, small booklets, headphones, and a lot of other random stuff in there. Very Happy Usually I'll just keep my phone and wallet in my pockets though.
hofodomo01
Backpack most of the time. My school also randomly handed out one of those laptop bags, but I havent really had occasion to use it.
Sphaerenkern
hlavco wrote:
I use backpacks. Even if you're not carrying much, it's nice to have extra space just in case you wind up needing it. Same reason I got a soft cover for my pickup instead of a hard cover. You can just unroll it and use the bed wherever you are. I like to be prepared.

Yeah, that was exactly my reason for a backpack back then Smile
gumkiss
I go to school and I either use a fashionable handbag or an stringy bag Wink
Sphaerenkern
In concept arts (like this one) or games (see here) I often see these belt/shoulder strap bags. I have, however, never seen them being used in reality. Did you?