FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

orcaz
As I was editing my forum profile, I wanted to upload an avatar from my machine. I think 10kb is too small a limit for any picture. I think the admins should increase the size to about 40kb, because my avatars are all 30kb big.
althalus
Maybe make a smaller avatar and/or use less colors.. My avatar is just over 4k... I find that resonable Wink
orcaz
It is because my avatar is made by Adobe Photoshop... Usually more than 20kb.
tidruG
orcaz wrote:
As I was editing my forum profile, I wanted to upload an avatar from my machine. I think 10kb is too small a limit for any picture. I think the admins should increase the size to about 40kb, because my avatars are all 30kb big.

There could be 2 reasons for your file size being that big:
1. Your pictures are large (In case you haven't noticed, the maximum avatar image size is also restricted to 100x100 pixels... so if you're trying to use larger images, they won't be uploaded anyway)
2. Your images are of the wrong type. Generally, PNG and BITMAP images (and other similar file types) take up a lot of space even for small sized images. If you have a BMP image, you can easily save it as a JPG in Paint. JPG preserves enough colour to make your picture look pretty much like your BMP (considering the size), and take very less space too.

About increasing the limit or the allowed size, highly unlikely. Because larger avatars are not pleasant to look at, and if they're too many heavy avatar images in one page, it'll slow the page down, and suck a lot of bandwidth.
althalus
tidruG wrote:
If you have a BMP image, you can easily save it as a JPG in Paint.
This isn't always true. Older versions of Windows (95, 98, etc) doesn't support jpg/gif unless another program is installed first (dunno which one, something to do with Office, if I'm not misstaken. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Wink)

On the other hand, he said the image was made in PS, so it shouldn't be that hard to load it up and save it with a different format / lower quality.
tidruG
althalus wrote:
tidruG wrote:
If you have a BMP image, you can easily save it as a JPG in Paint.
This isn't always true. Older versions of Windows (95, 98, etc) doesn't support jpg/gif unless another program is installed first (dunno which one, something to do with Office, if I'm not misstaken. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Wink)

On the other hand, he said the image was made in PS, so it shouldn't be that hard to load it up and save it with a different format / lower quality.

I dunno... I've used Win95, and am still using Win98... never really encountered a problem with the system not supporting that particular image type... hmm...

Anyhow, I hadn't read his reply before I posted. I think he replied when I was writing my post.

@orcraz, now I'm assuming you know a lot about graphics (considering you made you own avatar in PS), so just save it as JPG or reduce the size to 100x100.
Bondings
orcaz wrote:
It is because my avatar is made by Adobe Photoshop... Usually more than 20kb.

Go to "save for web" in photosop, save it either as a jpg or gif and recuce the quality. You most likely won't see the difference.

Just image someone browsing on dial-up with 25 users with 30KB pictures. That would be really fast. Wink

My avatar is 1.9KB. I'm sure you can reduce yours too.
Harrowed
User the "Save for Web" feature of Photoshop.. Or was that Paintshop?.. Grr.. never remember.
orcaz
tidruG wrote:
orcaz wrote:

1. Your pictures are large (In case you haven't noticed, the maximum avatar image size is also restricted to 100x100 pixels... so if you're trying to use larger images, they won't be uploaded anyway)
2. Your images are of the wrong type. Generally, PNG and BITMAP images (and other similar file types) take up a lot of space even for small sized images. If you have a BMP image, you can easily save it as a JPG in Paint. JPG preserves enough colour to make your picture look pretty much like your BMP (considering the size), and take very less space too.

About increasing the limit or the allowed size, highly unlikely. Because larger avatars are not pleasant to look at, and if they're too many heavy avatar images in one page, it'll slow the page down, and suck a lot of bandwidth.

My avatars are all JPG...
LostOverThere
My avater is around 8KB as a PNG file.

If your avater is animater, that takes up a bit of space aswell.
tidruG
orcaz wrote:
tidruG wrote:
orcaz wrote:

My avatars are all JPG...

OK now I'm stumped. The only thing I can recommend now is that you check your avatar size again. Make sure it's dimensions are not more than 100 X 100. Avatars bigger than this will not be accepted. Also, try reducing your JPG quality to around 80-85%. For a file that small, you are not likely to notice much difference if you reduce the quality a little bit. If you're still getting errors, send me a link to your avatar, and I'll try taking a look at it. (or at least get someone with more experience to take a look at it)
babumuchhala
i am a real dumbo on this, but my friend who makes pics & stuff for me always sends it in GIF format saying these are really small in size and have great commpression.
tidruG
But from what I know, GIF reduces the quality greatly. GIF only allows the use of 256 colours, due to which it is only used for low-quality grphics and icons generally. I prefer JPG for Web Graphics, and GIF only for stuff like Favicons and other icons or animated buttons (which are only supported by GIF), and stuff like that.
Dustwars9
Try uploading it too a free image hosting server and post it here. Maybe then we can find out why the image is so big.

Edit: My signature image is only 8.5 kb and it is alot bigger than 100 x 100.
mOrpheuS
orcaz wrote:

Let's see...imagine a bitmap of 100x100, 24bit color.
it takes 100x100x24 bits = 30000 bytes
that's around 29 kB.
I can't understand how your JPG comes to be more than 40 kB. Confused

I'll try to put an end to this...
@orcaz, just post the image in question to some free image host,
post the link here,
somebody here will be glad to convert it into a 100x100 jpg, under 10 kb for you.
You can then use it for your avatar.
Wink
orcaz
Finally got to upload my avatar on the forum. I found out that GIFs are generally much smaller than JPGs. Juz managed to squeeze in with a size of 9.53kb. Anyway, thanx for all your comments. Any admins or moderators can lock this topic up now...
tidruG
orcaz wrote:
Any admins or moderators can lock this topic up now...

done.

-locked-

BTW, nice avatar