FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Webmaster mods

truespeed
I suggest specially assigned mods whose sole purpose is to help out in the scripting forums and the seo/advertising forums,this is afterall a webmaster forum,everyone here has a site,its the thing that links us all,so these forums should take priority.

Too many questions in these forums go unanswered,so my suggestion is that you find users who have the necessary knowledge,give them special titles and/or mod status and hopefully when someone needs help with codes,seo or whatever,the help will be available.
ocalhoun
Why is mod status needed?
Perhaps a special rank could help motivate experts to help the inexperienced, but after a while, answering stupid questions gets very old and boring.

Personally, in the interest of fairness, I try to contribute to helping someone once for every time I ask for help.
truespeed
ocalhoun wrote:
Why is mod status needed?

Mod status isn't needed really,a special rank of some kind would suffice.
mathiaus
ocalhoun wrote:
...but after a while, answering stupid questions gets very old and boring.

I used to help out a lot more than I do now. The reason I got bored is the stupid questions. Not everyone wants help. Many post questions juts to make posts & points. Then there are those who request help but never post code so the next 5 replies are just requests for code. Then there are those who post code and are using some script and not using their support forums (they know their own software better than anyone else!). Those that write their own code often have horrible looking code and time is spent just making it look better (indenting etc) so it can actually be read. There are many people who want to learn PHP or HTML etc and just ask for tutorials instead of reading one of many existing threads or looking in the tutorials forum. Many of them want code to be given so they don't have to actually learn anything themselves.

All of these problems and more create problems which means there people who usually help out, but don't anymore.
truespeed
mathiaus wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
...but after a while, answering stupid questions gets very old and boring.

I used to help out a lot more than I do now. The reason I got bored is the stupid questions. Not everyone wants help. Many post questions juts to make posts & points. Then there are those who request help but never post code so the next 5 replies are just requests for code. Then there are those who post code and are using some script and not using their support forums (they know their own software better than anyone else!). Those that write their own code often have horrible looking code and time is spent just making it look better (indenting etc) so it can actually be read. There are many people who want to learn PHP or HTML etc and just ask for tutorials instead of reading one of many existing threads or looking in the tutorials forum. Many of them want code to be given so they don't have to actually learn anything themselves.

All of these problems and more create problems which means there people who usually help out, but don't anymore.

Maybe an idea would be to remove points from these forums,if they want genuine help then they will post anyway,if they are just asking questions as a way of getting points then the removal of the option to gain points would solve this.
garionw
Quote:
Maybe an idea would be to remove points from these forums,if they want genuine help then they will post anyway,if they are just asking questions as a way of getting points then the removal of the option to gain points would solve this.

But that could also kill the forum(s) altogether
truespeed
garionw wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't of thought so,if someone needs help,genuine help,rather than a way of gaining their points,then they will ask anyway,the tutorial forums don't have points,but people still post in there.
garionw
truespeed wrote:
garionw wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't of thought so,if someone needs help,genuine help,rather than a way of gaining their points,then they will ask anyway,the tutorial forums don't have points,but people still post in there.

But what about replies - Why should I help someone here when I can go over Yahoo Answers and get a rating for it?
Xeter_Design
My little suggestion to stop these...whats the term? Post ******? From posting just to make points is to toughen the post per character limit.

OR

Points are enabled after so many characters or sentences.

I don't know if the cash mod is that complicated though, but the options that it has enables the admins to restrict and expand where needed.

Regards
truespeed
garionw wrote:

But what about replies - Why should I help someone here when I can go over Yahoo Answers and get a rating for it?

Well if you volunteered yourself to help out in these forums then i wouldn't think you would begrudge helping people out. If your not a volunteer then your unlikely to post anyway.