FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"Advertise Your Website" Section

richard270384
This is just a little suggestion, and not sure if it is possible.

I think it would be a good idea to set up the "Advertise Your Website" topic so that when a new thread is made, a poll is automatically attached to it with options such as:

1. Great Site
2. Ok Site
3. Average Site
4. Poor Site
5. Terrible Site

That way, all web sites that are posted in that topic can be rated on exactly the same scale, really easily.
rvec
one small problem, if you redesign your site you should post that in the same thread. You are not allowed to make multiple threads about the same site. So when you have noobish looking site and you redesign it you still have the bad rating.
richard270384
Good point. Never thought of that.

Maybe they could set it up that the poll can be removed or reset.
rvec
and do you think everyone would want such a poll? Some users might just need comments on one small section of the site. The header for example, would the poll then be about that section or the total site?

I think it's best to keep it the way it is now.
richard270384
The person who started the thread would say in the first post whether they wanted the poll to be about the entire site or just a specific portion. Thats not really a problem if you ask me.

The poll wouldnt have to be used but could be. Just becuase there is a poll there doesnt mean the person who started the thread has to look at the poll results.

I just think it would be good for everything to be rated on the same scale. I know I wouldve found it useful to be able to compare my site to other sites that had been reviewed/rated by other frihost members.
tidruG
Quote:
The person who started the thread would say in the first post whether they wanted the poll to be about the entire site or just a specific portion. Thats not really a problem if you ask me.
In which case, it's just much easier to let the user create a poll of his choice, wouldn't it? Razz
Blaster
Also you have that fear of someone having low self esteem and going and not feel good that there site might not be good. The threads should be about feedback not just "dissing" the sites. Just my opinion
The-Super-Freak
great idea! I think that'd be great. Theres heaps of established webdesigners on this forum and so the opinion would be of very high standards- which is good. I think, though, that as well as giving a vote, the person has to put some feedback. Theres no point someone telling someone else that their site is crap without telling them how to improve it.

But, yes, thats a great idea Razz
misterXY
or how about a panel of volunteers who actually show some creditability and honest, u resume in, they contact u, tell u what u should upgrade or its good to what YOU are looking for, websites shouldn't be run just for clicks by strangers or $ .
my THREE cents Boo hoo!
rvec
so what would be the advantage of a selected group over a much bigger probably partially interested group again?
zellfaze
rvec wrote:
so what would be the advantage of a selected group over a much bigger probably partially interested group again?

You would know that the group you have chosen is unbiased for the most part. On the other hand, you will have a more accurate depiction of the site using a larger group.

If you ask me, I think the small groups a good idea, and I think the entire thing is a good idea. It would be a great way to help people improve their sites. I think though that any person should be able to comment on the sites though, just have a small group do the ratings.
rvec
ok if someone makes a post where people can sign up for this group I'll sticky it.

Just put something in it like: People who want to be in this group have to put at least 5 links in their post to comments they made in the advertise your website forum. Then when 2 people sign up I'll sticky it. The one making the topic has to put the nicks in the OP and keep the list accurate (Notify me when a reply is posted might be a good option there Wink ).
misterXY
rvec wrote:
ok if someone makes a post where people can sign up for this group I'll sticky it.

Just put something in it like: People who want to be in this group have to put at least 5 links in their post to comments they made in the advertise your website forum. Then when 2 people sign up I'll sticky it. The one making the topic has to put the nicks in the OP and keep the list accurate (Notify me when a reply is posted might be a good option there Wink ).

where would this sticky be located @ ?
rvec
the advertise your website forums looks like a suitable place to me Razz
misterXY
rvec wrote:
the advertise your website forums looks like a suitable place to me Razz

what was i thinkin of a stupid Question Shocked
Edit: i have a post for those who want to review peoples sites http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-88437.html