FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Xbox 360: Red Ring of Death?

Ghengis
My Xbox 360 just "Red Ringed" on me -- 3 blinking red lights indicating a hardware failure. I bought mine in December 2006 and it died this past Monday (just barely outside the regular warranty, though I know it's covered under the new additonal warranty).

I'm wondering how many other people out there had the same problem. Please, post if you've had a failure. If you own a 360 at least as old as mine (bought before 2007), and *haven't* had a problem, I'd hear from you as well -- consider it an informal poll. Microsoft claims the hardware failure rate is "commensurate with other consumer electronics" which should put it below 10%, but some sources quote over 60%. I just want to see what FH users have experienced.
HalfBloodPrince
That's what they get for trying to release it a year before the ps3 and wii.

I'm still a 360 fan-boy though and have had no problems, but I only bought it this summer 2007.. Confused
Yjaxygames
I think after the commotion about the Ring of Death, Microsoft worked on it, and if you have a newer Xbox360, getting a ring of death is a small chance. Over here, when people get the Ring of Death, they can always send it back to microsoft.
Maddo
I bought my 360 on the release, no rings of death, not a single problem with it. Just once my DVD drive wouldn't open, so I used a knife to open it. Razz

I just don't get it, lots of people have problems with it after a month or three, but I do not after 2 years or something... (and lots of gaming) Confused
eday2010
May parents bought theirs in 2006 and have had absolutely no problems with it.

Incidentally, they bought a PS3 sevral months ago and had to exchange it because of the noise it made and the fact that it always overheated.

360's aren't the only console with hardware problems. The precious PS3 has problems too Razz
Ghengis
I think the widely-held theory is that the older 360s had heat problems (I can't remember if it was the CPU or one of the Bridge chips) that were fixed with a bigger heat sink in later models. I actually bought a co-worker's red-ringed 360 for cheap and sent it in for repairs, then resold it for profit. I told him ahead of time that there was a repair problem, but he said he "just didn't want to deal with it". I guess there's a silver lining Wink
andersonshatch
Mine died (not with rrod - the graphics card died) and it wasn't covered under the extended warentee - this was around August '07. In the end I bought a new one - but it did annoy me that the warentee only covers this one thing. A video games console that can't show any video is pointless in my opinion!
eday2010
Your case is a rare case where the extended warranty the stores offer would have been worth it!
Agent ME
Ghengis wrote:
I think the widely-held theory is that the older 360s had heat problems (I can't remember if it was the CPU or one of the Bridge chips) that were fixed with a bigger heat sink in later models. I actually bought a co-worker's red-ringed 360 for cheap and sent it in for repairs, then resold it for profit. I told him ahead of time that there was a repair problem, but he said he "just didn't want to deal with it". I guess there's a silver lining Wink

About not wanting to deal with it - when my console first broke, I thought it would be hard to get it repaired under the warranty - it was the easiest call ever to the customer support - once I told them the problem, they sent a box for me to ship it to them in (with prepaid shipping too). Dropped it off and it was back and repaired in a few weeks... (BUT apparently the real problem was with my power cable, and it caused the 360 to break two more times and then we realized to get a replacement power cable too... at least by that 3rd repair they sent it on overnight shipping all ways so I got it back in a week.)
st-games
wow, it is really great that now XBOX 360 has 3 years for that problem
jtayl153
I don't own an Xbox 360 myself but my friend says that his had the same problem.

His was about 2 months past warranty

He called up microsoft and they said it was a fatal hardware problem and they would fix it free of charge even though it was past warranty
Ghengis
jtayl153 wrote:
I don't own an Xbox 360 myself but my friend says that his had the same problem.

His was about 2 months past warranty

He called up microsoft and they said it was a fatal hardware problem and they would fix it free of charge even though it was past warranty

Well, you have to remember that Microsoft extended the warranty for Red Rings (only!) by 1 extra year. So if you have old hardware, hope yours fails before next September!
st-games
nope,
Microsoft extended the warranty for Red Rings by 2 extra years
Ghengis
Oh right, my bad. I think I was right about the cut-off date, though -- I got a console that was manufactured just after launch (end of 2005), so the 1-year "regular" warranty ended 2006, which means my extension will run out at the end of this year. Most "problem" consoles were made before the middle of 2006, which means that the extension will run out on the worst batch around the middle of 2009.
Coclus
I didn't have any problems..but that sounds pretty bad..
coyote
meh...I've had probably at least 8 friends with red rings who called up microsoft and waited weeks for the box, then weeks for them to ship it back. I had the red ring, about 3 times. So I unplugged it, made sure it was in a cool area with plenty of oxygen, and plugged it back in. Works like new.