FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"Reborns".....discuss !

wellerchap
Blimey, I just saw a documentary on TV here in England about people (mainly women) that buy the lifelike dolls of babies called "Reborns" & actually dress, nurse & push them around in prams as if they were real children.
OK, these ladies are obviously filling a void in their lives with these things, but to see grown, mature relatively "normal" women behaving in such a way was truly bizarre!

Here's an example....now imagine a lady carying this past you in a supermarket while you're out shopping!

dray101
That's a toy Shocked

That's rather creepy. What will come next. We seem to live in a society that rather than discouraging such things instead feeds them. Anyone heard of the life-size play dolls for single men that feed some urges?
Nameless
Okay, it might be unusual but it's not like it's actually harming anyone.

And on the upside, it's one way to deal with population growth in overcrowded areas.

Still, that can't really be psychologically healthy ...
ehecatl
wow... I prefer the real thing... That's creepy.
watersoul
I saw the TV documentary as well,
but couldn't really believe if what I was watching was real or made up!
Yep it was mostly women who couldn't conceive and carry a child either because they left it too late, or some other problem, so of course I felt sorry for them as I cant imagine what it must be like.
I perhaps felt more sorry for them being exploited by a production company on national TV though.
They obviously have issues going on, and opening themselves up for more insults by our sometimes cruel society doesn't really help these poor souls in my opinion.
Wouldn't a pet like a cat or dog fill their void better, at least they interact with you?
Confused
tidruG
Quote:
I perhaps felt more sorry for them being exploited by a production company on national TV though.
What about the exploitation by the company that manufactures these dolls? How does caring and attempting to nurture a lifeless creature help with the woman's emotional distress? As watersoul said, in my opinion, the correct treatment would be for her to seek professional help, and probably get a pet.

Then again, this is just my opinion, and it might not be the right professional one.
paul_indo
Seems like some companies will do anything to make money. These women are obviously not coping with the lack of a child in a healthy way, what will happen when the so called baby they are "nurturing" fails to grow and progress? It doesn't actually have any needs to be fulfilled, it can't play. This may well create even more stress and problems for them than they had in the beginning.
erlendhg
Sounds strange to me.
Although, it really is a strange world we are living in.
All the time we hear about new crazy stuff from such documentaries.
I don't know what to think about it anymore.

I agree that it sounds reasonable that these persons should have a good conversation with a professional instead of carrying baby-alike dolls around.
Vlien
A good proof of the fact that there are too many women and not enough men to fertilize them :p
You're a single male? Now you see there are lots of des.pe.rate. women out there Cool
tidruG
Quote:
Now you see there are lots of des.pe.rate. women out there
Even though that was probably meant as a joke, I didn't quite find it so funny (and trust me, generally, I have a very liberal sense of humour). The women who buy these dolls are those who are generally unable physically or medically to get pregnant, not because they didn't have a male to impregnate them. They can always buy your precious sperm from a sperm bank if required, you know Razz
urbanbuddha
I think that the women who buy these dolls do so because it is a hobby. From what I know about Reborns, they are quite expensive and unique and there are different artists that can paint the faces on the dolls, etc. Treating them like the real thing is probably only something done by a few people in the hobby (which the creators of the documentary obviously sensationalized in order to gain more public attention and profit). It's like those silly documentaries on anime fans who are the epitome of still-living-with-my-mommy geek-dom when a majority of people who watch anime are not like that. XD
tidruG
Ah yes, that's an excellent point you've made, urbanbuddha!
This could be quite possible indeed. And it's good to get an opinion from someone who knows a little more about the topic on hand than the rest of us.
achowles
The dolls themselves I don't have a problem with. I find things like that a bit freaky, but it's not like I have any around. But if people are treating them as if they're real then there are potentially some real psychological issues there. It's obviously not healthy. No matter how much they want a real baby, that thing isn't going to fill the void.
Zombie
When I first saw this thread I thought you were referring to the level system on Conquer, in which your character can be reborn to become increasingly stronger in their second life. Anyway, I've seen some of these reborn babies on ebay, they are insanely expensive, but i think it's just a trend, like beanie babies were. But if thats how you get your jollies, by all means...
Vrythramax
tidruG wrote:
Quote:
Now you see there are lots of des.pe.rate. women out there
Even though that was probably meant as a joke, I didn't quite find it so funny (and trust me, generally, I have a very liberal sense of humour)...

Shocked

I hate to add to this spam, and this topic should be closed for many reasons....but I just couldn't resist.

sorry tidruG.
Vlien
tidruG wrote:
Ah yes, that's an excellent point you've made, urbanbuddha!
This could be quite possible indeed. And it's good to get an opinion from someone who knows a little more about the topic on hand than the rest of us.

Doesn't make it less pathetic Rolling Eyes
Sphaerenkern
And I thought these japanese women treating their dogs like they are their children are weird Very Happy
When I saw a woman carrying around this "reborn" like a real child, I would really think she's weird 'cause I would expect dolls in the hand of little girls.
But I have no idea what this hobby is around, so when they just keep them at home or paint them (like model making or something) I would think of it like a normal hobby.

(please note that "normal" is not meant as "good" and "weird" is not meant as "mentally retarded" or something)
JustCarol
Sphaerenkern wrote:
And I thought these japanese women treating their dogs like they are their children are weird

Laughing but at least dogs can walk, bark (I don't know if this is the correct word) and do cute and funny things, so it's possible that a dog can bring happiness to a family or a person.

Reborns are cute Smile They are very well-maded (again, I don't know if it's right to say it) and everything... I would like to have one to put on my bed or to give it as gift to my mother (they can make a reborn that looks just like you as a baby) but I certanly wouldn't nurse them... LOL they're toys... I would dress my reborn as a newborn baby so it would look nice in my bed... And no, I would absolutely NOT carry a fake baby in a supermarket.
Sphaerenkern
(OT)
JustCarol wrote:

bark (I don't know if this is the correct word)

It is.
JustCarol wrote:
They are very well-maded (again, I don't know if it's right to say it)

Close - it's "well made" Wink
coolclay
Hey if makes them happy, and doesn't harm anyone else, and helps global overpopulation, I am all for it, no matter how weird.
standready
As long as they are quiet, who cares. A woman at the post office today had her little one in a carrier. It looked like one of those dolls until it decided to wake up. That little one definately had a good set of lungs.
nivre
yeah..its a little wierd though. maybe its just for fun and emotional purposes. For those who wants to have a child but can't and have their adoption papers on the line waiting...but its really wierd for some grownups to play toys like that..
heartbeat
Nameless wrote:
Okay, it might be unusual but it's not like it's actually harming anyone.

And on the upside, it's one way to deal with population growth in overcrowded areas.

Still, that can't really be psychologically healthy ...

of course it is harming! it is harming the person itself that should be helped in a psycologic manner not in such a practical manner like substituting a real baby for a doll. Also I would feel sick If I saw this on the street, so maybe there are more people like me that get sick out of these kinds of things and that is very unfair. Also it may influence other women to do the same instead of getting over it in a natural way even if it means grief!!!
D'Artagnan
my god!!!, a doll that look like a baby like this freakme out, these women need a psicholog
raine dragon
*shrugs* I'm not sure that it is much different then a person who gets a pet and treats it like a baby.

Granted, if one is already at a point where they are this upset about not having a child, and if the doll then comforts that hurt, I'm not sure it's totally bad. After all, the condition has to pre-exsist the doll for the doll to actually be used to comfort it, so, I'd imagine that while they most likely could use some professional help, I don't think the doll specifically is the issue, it's just a visible manifestation of the problem.
endless
man, everyone who has a doll like that is pathetic, and it doesn't start there, look at these 5 year old kids with those thing Shocked
whats the world come to, a plastic people factory Shocked

and yes, that woman should seek professional help, just take a pet. (if she wanted a child that bad she should've made one while she could, and if she couldn't she should find a man with childs Razz or take a pet)
IceCreamTruck
Void? what void? This is just another example of just how messed up we are as a human race.

Kids starving in the streets...rich mothers carrying around plastic dolls feeding it real food. Do you see my point. Almost anything makes sense if you bend your mind around it enough times.

These women would probably test as OCD, but this energy should be put to better use. Have them look after and care for the child victims of what ever war is going on... and trust me... there is always a war going on. remember? we are messed up people.

LOLz I would just tell the ladies with the babies that it's stopped breathing a few minutes ago and hand it back to them just to destroy the illusion for them!! Twisted Evil

Never forget it's just a doll!!! Shame on you

Twisted Evil Look at that picture...would you be able to put a pillow over that and hold it down? Twisted Evil

Question how real is it to you just because it looks real Question

To me it's not real at all, hense the jokes.
wellerchap
it seems most people then do find this sort of thing strange & more a manifestation of the woman's weakness/vulnerability of character.
eday2010
coolclay wrote:
Hey if makes them happy, and doesn't harm anyone else, and helps global overpopulation, I am all for it, no matter how weird.

I agree. And while a company is making money from this, it's not their fault. They make something there is a demand for. nothing wrong with helping those women and helping yourself too. And I am sure these things are way more cheaper than having a real baby.

Though if these broads really wanted a baby, they could...you know, adopt. Unless they only want to pretend they have a baby and not have al lthe responsibilities.