FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Super Mario Galaxy... gripes? (Thread now contains spoilers)

Fire Boar
Just a thought: who else found Super Mario Galaxy far too easy? About the only challenging level I thought was the Loopdeeswoop Galaxy (one of the three trial galaxies), and even that gave you four easily-accessible 1-up mushrooms.

My main gripe about this game is that there are far too many 1-ups. You start off with 4, get another 5 for talking to the mailtoad as soon as you start, there are 5 more in the hub area if you have the red star powerup unlocked (not hard), and most levels have at least 2. Plus, you get an extra 1-up every time you get 50 star bits in a level (something that happens almost all the time).

Getting 99 marios should only ever be a little known hack! Not something that everyone can do really easily!

Apart from that though, I think it's a fantastic game, and the fun factor makes up for its lack of difficulty. Does anyone else have anything to add?
eday2010
I find the game a bit easy as well, but that is okay with me. I don't seem to have the patience to sit for hours on end anymore playing a game. So the fact that I can progress through the game at a decent pace while only playing a couple of hours at a time suits me fine Smile. I am not very far along, but so far I am glad the boss fights aren't terribly hard. I have never liked boss fights. I did have a bit of difficulty on the Sweet Sweet Galaxy, constantly falling off and miscalculating my jumps when going for coins, as well at the galaxy early on where you are surfing on the manta ray. Oh, and that mini game in the galaxy that looks like a big rock mountain where you have to blow up the garbage with bob-ombs was a huge pain in the rear.

However, the fact that it's not overly difficult means I can relax while I play the game and just enjoy myself without stressing out. On top of that, there will be tons of hidden stuff to find once I get through the game the first time Smile
Fire Boar
One thing I do like is the sheer amount of stuff there is to do. Although you need to get only 60 stars to "complete" the game, there are

*spoilers* 242 *spoilers*

stars to get in the whole game. That's a lot!

Bah, maybe I'm being too hardcore. I just feel like games are getting easier nowadays. Perhaps I'm just getting better at them.
eday2010
That's more than double the amount Super Mario 64 had. Awesome! Looks like I will be playing this game for a long while then. I'm not looking forward to playing the Space Junk area when the Speed Comet is activated. I hate playing against the clock.
Loghete
Quote:
Bah, maybe I'm being too hardcore. I just feel like games are getting easier nowadays.

YES! They are!
I've been thinking about exactly this the last days. I bought myself Super Mario Galaxy the day after I bought Super Mario Bros. 3 for the Virtual Console, and I'm playing them simultaneously. SUper Mario Galaxy is fresh, nice and new, but it's just too easy. Super Mario Bros. 3 is fun and challenging, and doesn't annoying cut scenes all the time.

Let's compare: In SMB3, I'm dying and dying, and struggling to get 1-ups by collecting coins and the precious 1-ups. Failure keeps me playing, just so I can feel the real joy when succeeding.
In Super Mario Galaxy, in most levels you die at most 3 times, but you just have so many tries that you don't care.
Myself I sometimes just ignore coins and 1-up mushrooms, because I don't need them. The coins are completely useless now, as it's much easier to collect 50 star bits to get a 1-up, plus you can do other things with those.
The ONLY time I've had a Game Over (and I've completed the game; 61 stars) was on the Sweet sweet galaxy, that one was actually challenging.

I can only hope it's harder to get the other 60 stars, or I wont even bother playing as... you-know-who, and just try to beat SMB3 instead.

So yes, I'd say video games are getting easier, though they might last longer, because of cut scenes and bonuses.
Fire Boar
Talking of you-know-who, the scenes in which you meet Luigi (when he's found a power star, in Ghostly Galaxy and in the hub area after rescuing him for the first time) are just hilarious, when playing as you-know-who!

@eday2010, personally I think that the speed comet is pretty cool. I find playing against a timer quite fun, and the Space Junk galaxy is a great challenge... but even that's not as hard as Space Junk's purple comet! 1 minute in which to gather 100 purple coins, with disappearing platforms? ZOMG! Yes please!
viviemaster
mario galaxy is the best game ever!!
i got it for the wii and it have a good gamplay
and your can play co-op with 2 controllers
from me it gets an 9.5!!
eday2010
Fire Boar wrote:

@eday2010, personally I think that the speed comet is pretty cool. I find playing against a timer quite fun, and the Space Junk galaxy is a great challenge... but even that's not as hard as Space Junk's purple comet! 1 minute in which to gather 100 purple coins, with disappearing platforms? ZOMG! Yes please!

I love a challenge, but I hate to be rushed. Space Junk is a fun area, but i still hate racing the clock.

And by the way, there are 120 stars, not 242. Nice try.
Magicman
I think its actually 121 stars but I'm not sure. The game has been pretty easy (I'm just past beating it and have about 64 stars) but the purple comets do provide a nice challenge, as does finding the hidden stars in levels.
eday2010
Any guides I have browsed in the store and magazines say it's 120 stars, but who knows. They could have hidden a very very secret one, or started that rumour so people would keep playing Smile
Fire Boar
There are in fact, 121 different stars. But due to an ultra-secret thing that you unlock after getting 120 and completing the game, you get another 121 to find. You have to find 240 stars before the final one (or two) turn up.
carlokes
Hi there,

This is probably th eonly Super Mario game i have never played but now i really got curious and i think my nightbor is going to see me more times than he ever has Razz

Stay COol !!
dangerdog
i think my biggest gripe is that 'cosmic mario' really should be called 'stario'. :p anyone with me?

it's like when mcdonald's released the 'big 'n tasty' when it totally should've been the 'big mctasty'.
kicy
The game was too tedious but anyways we beat it 100%. Hard mode.. should of been hard Smile
eday2010
Maybe I am rusty from not having played games for a while, but I find some parts easy, some moderate, and some really hard. I found the battle with Bouldergeist in the Boo Mansion Galaxy difficult enough when I had 6 units of health. Having to beat it with the Daredevil Comet flying by, giving me only one unit of health is going to suck marbles. Unless there is a trick to beating him fairly easy?

Overall I find the game challenging, but not too challenging.
Yjaxygames
Some games get easier. Back in the ol' days, you where dead when you ran into something, but now, you'll have lives and a healthbar.
eday2010
Well, for the Mario games, the health bar takes the place of getting a power mushroom and growing from the little wiener Mario to Super Mario. When you got hit, you shrunk. Now you lose of piece of health. I don't know about other recent games since before the Wii, i didn't play anything current since PSone. Lots of games back in the day had health bars though.
Loghete
Fire Boar wrote:
There are in fact, 121 different stars. But due to an ultra-secret thing that you unlock after getting 120 and completing the game, you get another 121 to find. You have to find 240 stars before the final one (or two) turn up.

It's Luigi.

Just so you don't get too excited.
eday2010
I read about playing as luigi. I didn't know that you would get something for beating the game over agai nwith him.
st-games
I do not have a Wii, but I am sure this is great game. Best game of 2007 !
Ghengis
Anybody who calls SMG "easy" has clearly not completed the game. Getting to the "last" boss is easy; beating him is easy. Getting all the stars is insanely difficult, and if you can do it without consulting e.g. the YouTube video guides for getting purple coins, you have earned the title "hardcore" and can wear it with pride.

That said, there are plenty of "easy" stars to get -- there's just a handful of really, *really* hard ones.
enygmasoft
Mario galaxy is a great weekend killer, right now i have no time to play since I have Workwork- Homework from work. Great weekend killers as well.
Loghete
Ghengis wrote:
Anybody who calls SMG "easy" has clearly not completed the game. Getting to the "last" boss is easy; beating him is easy. Getting all the stars is insanely difficult, and if you can do it without consulting e.g. the YouTube video guides for getting purple coins, you have earned the title "hardcore" and can wear it with pride.

Well, I have got 70 stars now and I'm bored of SMG, I don't want to play the same levels again.
Beating the galaxies the first time is easy - the second time it's repetitive.
Ghengis
Loghete wrote:
Ghengis wrote:

Well, I have got 70 stars now and I'm bored of SMG, I don't want to play the same levels again.
Beating the galaxies the first time is easy - the second time it's repetitive.

Why can nobody just read what I wrote? He even quoted it to me. GETTING TO THE LAST BOSS IS EASY. Well over half of the stars you can get as Mario are easy -- even 80% of them might be easy. But the last 20-30 stars are really, really hard. If you just want to play through your game on easy mode then walk away, that's your prerogative. You haven't even gotten all of them ONCE. If you want to get all the stars, get yourself a case of Mountain Dew and set aside a free weekend. Some of them *will* take you 10+ tries, and some of them will make you want to throw your controller at the screen.

Aside: never running out of lives does not make the game "easy" -- a reviewer said (correctly IMHO) that the series had outgrown the concept of 1-ups, and I tend to agree. Most of the hard levels make you start over completely if you die anyway, so whether you have to "continue" or not after dying makes absolutely no difference. So the "hard" part is just getting the damn level done at all.
eday2010
For me, the 1-ups serve as a bit of retro flavour, since I always amass a large amount of them. They don't make things easier though. they just give you more chances to finish a level without having to go back to the title screen.

I have enough stars now to go to the centre of the universe, but I decided to finish the rest of the galaxies first. Otherwise I feel like I would be ruining the rest of the game for myself.
vonboy
the vast majority of the game was easy to me, but there were mayby like 10 or so that were a real pain in the rear-end.
enygmasoft
fun games for the Wii are the great zelda and also the mario series both always rule. Resident evil rules as well.
Fire Boar
Ghengis wrote:

That said, there are plenty of "easy" stars to get -- there's just a handful of really, *really* hard ones.

242 stars in my purse. I'm hardcore and proud.

I think there were about... 4 stars. 4 stars out of 121 that I really had trouble with (not counting the repeated ones with Luigi).

"Luigi's Purple Coins" in Toy Time Galaxy was pretty tough first time, but when I realised that there were 150 in total, not 100, it was pretty straightforward.

The Speedy Comet for Toy Time Galaxy I had a few problems with - I hate those boxes that move really fast. Same goes for the speedy comet in that galaxy with all the wind (I forget its name).

Loopdeeswoop Galaxy was just plain fun. I really enjoyed that, despite dying about 20 times before getting the star. But as a slight hack, they cheekily put not one, but TWO easily accessible 1-up mushrooms within the first 20 seconds of the course. So really, every time I had to try again, I had gained at least 1 life in total. In all, there were four mushrooms. This is really my only gripe - I know I'm good at games; but the constant supply of 1-ups make it possible for anyone to get the really tough stars with enough perseverence.

Apart from that, there weren't really any I had trouble with. I guess it was kinda hard in Freeze-Flame galaxy to find the hidden fourth star, but that's about it.
eday2010
Fire Boar wrote:

I think there were about... 4 stars. 4 stars out of 121 that I really had trouble with (not counting the repeated ones with Luigi).

How did you manage to beat Bouldergiest in the Boo Galaxy during the Daredevil Comet? I had a bitch of a time killing him with 6 health, let alone trying it with 1. Part of it is probably impatience on my part, but I am wondering if there is a trick to it.
Ghengis
eday2010 wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

How did you manage to beat Bouldergiest in the Boo Galaxy during the Daredevil Comet? I had a bitch of a time killing him with 6 health, let alone trying it with 1. Part of it is probably impatience on my part, but I am wondering if there is a trick to it.

I have all the Mario stars except a few of the Purple Coin ones, so I can answer this: be really, really patient. Yes, you have to do it without getting hit -- just watch very carefully for his "tells" and take your time dodging his attacks, and only hitting him when you're *sure* you can get away with it. I probably spent an hour or more fighting him, and the battle I actually one definitely took more than 5 minutes (where I could beat him in 2 or 3 minutes with full health).
eday2010
Ghengis wrote:

I have all the Mario stars except a few of the Purple Coin ones, so I can answer this: be really, really patient. Yes, you have to do it without getting hit -- just watch very carefully for his "tells" and take your time dodging his attacks, and only hitting him when you're *sure* you can get away with it. I probably spent an hour or more fighting him, and the battle I actually one definitely took more than 5 minutes (where I could beat him in 2 or 3 minutes with full health).

Man, that is gonna suck big time. But I'll have to do it at some point. what bothers me about those kinds of fights is that you do really well for a half hour, and then somehow you die, so you have to go through it all over again, having wasted that half hour. Frustrating! Razz