FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Must cpanel be 2082? I can't connect

mirzapirza
Hi guys.. I just moved into my dorm. The university has very strict internet policies and I'm unable to connect to cpanel.. I'm wondering if cpanel really needs to be myhost:2082 or if there's an alternative to it?

myhost/cpanel/ sounds great, but that simply redirects to myhost:2082 so it's useless.

little help, bitte?
dan751
Hi! I can help!Very Happy I'm in high school and they won't even allow me to connect to proxy 2082. We're only supposed to use the computers at school for school work, but who says working on a website from school isn't work? Anywhoo, I found this awesome little php script that will let me connect to cPanel, not through port 2082, but through port 80!Very Happy School computers have to allow port 80, otherwise, how can you do any research without needing to go to the library? Anywhoo, the script is called cPanel Proxy. You can download it right here http://cpanelproxy.net/cPanelProxy.zip.
The instructions are as follows:
Quote:
- Create subdomain "cpanel.yourdomain.com" (You'll probably need access to
cPanel for this, so install it before you need it!)
- Download and unzip cPanelProxy.zip (if you haven't already)
- Upload the files to the subdomains directory, probably "public_html/cpanel"
in FTP. Be sure to remember .htaccess!
Needed files: cpanelproxy.php .htaccess php.ini (<= These files must be in the subdomain's directory in order for cPanel Proxy to work!)

There you go!Very Happy Enjoy cPanel while on the campus' network.Very Happy
mirzapirza
Hi dan751! Thanks, that looks promising.. I guess I'll have a chance to install it if I get off the local network some weekend. The autoinstaller on the website gave me a nice and helpful error message:

Quote:

Connecting to mirzapirza.frihost.com...
Success
Could not install.

Any admins thinking about making this thing standard for everyone? Would be pretty useful. Smile
dan751
mirzapirza wrote:
Hi dan751! Thanks, that looks promising.. I guess I'll have a chance to install it if I get off the local network some weekend. The autoinstaller on the website gave me a nice and helpful error message:

Quote:

Connecting to mirzapirza.frihost.com...
Success
Could not install.

Any admins thinking about making this thing standard for everyone? Would be pretty useful. Smile

I never really liked to auto-installer, I've had problems with it in the past. However, to save you the wait of getting off the local network, I can install it for you.Smile Just pm me your username and password so I can do so. Once it's installed, you'll be able to change your password with cPanel Proxy.Smile Anywhoo, let me know.Smile
mirzapirza
Wow thanks. You're great! Smile
dan751
Your welcome.Very Happy I'm glad I could help.Smile
n0obie4life
Great. Now I can logon to cpanel from my school Razz