FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Finding out what drivers i need....

KHO
Ok, so the scenario is that I recently installed windows on a computer, but I need a driver. Ok, np right? but the problem is, this specific model of computer (Dell V2 premier 1180) isn't very well documented. And the V2 premier site doesn't offer drivers for this model. I tried some that are close to the model number, but the chipset wont match so they dont work,

My question is, how can I find out what kind of multimedia card I have in the machine? If I knew this I think getting the drivers for it would be easy.
orno
you could always open it up and check, but since that is obviously not the ideal solution, you could use some system information tool, for example, microsoft's own bundled System Information tool

goto Start > Run > msinfo32

If you then look under the Components > Display section, you should be able to see the card you have installed and then find the appropriate drivers for it

Side note: Doesn't windows update return any updated drivers?
KHO
Lol, windows update sucks. This isn't one of 'my' computers, it was donated otherwise I would still have the disk for the driver. But this tool appears to work. Thank you very much.
mrcblake
KHO wrote:
Ok, so the scenario is that I recently installed windows on a computer, but I need a driver. Ok, np right? but the problem is, this specific model of computer (Dell V2 premier 1180) isn't very well documented. And the V2 premier site doesn't offer drivers for this model. I tried some that are close to the model number, but the chipset wont match so they dont work,

My question is, how can I find out what kind of multimedia card I have in the machine? If I knew this I think getting the drivers for it would be easy.

Ok go to this website and download driver_wizard_setup.exe:
http://black2d.com/upload/dl/
Install and run this program and it will everything connected to your computer and the drivers for you. If you have problems send me the results from you scan and I will send you the drivers you need and please tell me what operating system you have on your computer. I am assuming that you have windows xp.
bloodrider
You can use a software, Driver Genius, it'll scan your hardware and it will download all the drivers missing (or updates) Wink
MeddlingMonk
Probably the most straightforward way of determining what is in the machine is to open the case and have a look. The motherboard (or adapter card, depending on whether the multimedia chipset is inbuilt on the MB or not) should have a model number on it. I usually try www.driverguide.com first for any drivers I need if the manufacturer's site doesn't have them.
Indyan
Try DriverMax. It scans your computer and downloads required drivers.