FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Console Sales - 01 Janurary 2008

newso
Total Console Sales

Nintendo DS - 64.59 million
PSP - 29.06 million
Nintendo Wii - 19.20 million
Xbox 360 - 16.02 million
Playstation 3 - 9.02 million

Monthly Console Sales

Nintendo DS - 903,959
Nintendo Wii - 609,917
Playstation 3 - 490,485
PSP - 334,931
Xbox 360 - 330,300

So it looks like Nintendo are in the lead by miles, and ps3 are rapidly catching xbox 360 considering the 360 was released two years before PS3.
eday2010
The PS3 still has a long way to go. I am curious to know how many of the PS3s sold in the month were bought by people who already own a 360.

It will still be a couple of years before the PS3 is affordable (and affordable means $300 or less).
Yjaxygames
I really wonder why the DS and Wii sell so much. The games aren't very good. It's just hyped as the family console.
dray101
where did ya get the stats from?
HalfBloodPrince
Yjaxygames wrote:
I really wonder why the DS and Wii sell so much. The games aren't very good. It's just hyped as the family console.

Agreed. One can only play motion-detective tennis for so long... Confused
liljp617
Yjaxygames wrote:

They're fads (particularly the Wii). People jump on fads Smile And the Wii is somewhat revolutionary although the general control set up and all was thought up and done on a smaller scale many years ago.
Loghete
Yjaxygames wrote:

Because they're cheap (at least cheaper than the alternatives), intuitive (motion sensing, dual/touch screen), and just... different from the other consoles.
eday2010
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
Yjaxygames wrote:

Just as one can only play same-as-twelve-other-games first-person shooters. And both the DS and Wii have a lot of great games; more so on the DS since it's been out longer. Just because 80% of the games for either system isn't another run-of-the-mill FPS, doesn't mean the games aren't good. It depends on the kinds of games you like. And I wouldn't call the Wii a fad. If you've played it, then you know the remote motion snesing isn't a fad. It actually adds to the game. It's a lot better than playing PS3 or 360 games that are little more than prettier versions of PS2 and xbox games.
Yjaxygames
eday2010 wrote:
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
Yjaxygames wrote:

Just as one can only play same-as-twelve-other-games first-person shooters. And both the DS and Wii have a lot of great games; more so on the DS since it's been out longer. Just because 80% of the games for either system isn't another run-of-the-mill FPS, doesn't mean the games aren't good. It depends on the kinds of games you like. And I wouldn't call the Wii a fad. If you've played it, then you know the remote motion snesing isn't a fad. It actually adds to the game. It's a lot better than playing PS3 or 360 games that are little more than prettier versions of PS2 and xbox games.

If the wii had better graphics...
HalfBloodPrince
Yjaxygames wrote:
eday2010 wrote:
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
Yjaxygames wrote:

Heh. Nintendo should leave the graphics to the big boys; they should stick to making up names like "Wii" and fixing their defective controllers.
eday2010
It's amazing at how people, after all these years, still think that better graphics make a game more fun. Honestly, how sad can you be? Who cares about graphics? Thos who think only graphics matter don't know what gameplay is about. The Wii doesn't need PS3 graphics to have games that are just as fun, if not more fun. It's not about the graphics; it's about the gameplay. All you're doing in a game is pushing pixels and polygons around the screen. If those pizels and polygons, are no fun to move, then the graphics mean dick all. I'd rather have Wii graphics with insanely fun games and control schemes than PS3/Xbox360 graphics with the same old, same old gameplay. *yawn*

And I have heard nothing about defective controllers, nor have I had any problems at all with mine. they work swimmingly.
Loghete
Yjaxygames wrote:

Well I agree that it'd be nice if the Wii had better graphics, but if they had put more power in it, it wouldn't be as small, quiet and most important of all, affordable.
Yjaxygames
Loghete wrote:
Yjaxygames wrote:

Well I agree that it'd be nice if the Wii had better graphics, but if they had put more power in it, it wouldn't be as small, quiet and most important of all, affordable.

The Xbox360 Arcade is not much more expensive...
lethaltriad
Nintendo really scored big with the WII with their innovative gameplay.. just wished the graphics were more on par with the other consoles. If i had the choice and wasnt a PC Gamer, I would probably pick up a Wii and 360.
Packfan104L4
Yjaxygames wrote:
Loghete wrote:
Yjaxygames wrote:

The Xbox360 Arcade is not much more expensive...

Yea, but good luck getting anything else on XBOX Live without needing to pony up another 100+ bucks for the Hard Drive add on, since the arcade only comes with enough space to store the 5 initial games.
william
Hmm...I didn't know the Nintendo Wii had almost reached 20 million sold units. Just wondering where you got these statistics. Still, clear to see Nintendo is back on top. I'm glad they decided to go the innovative route instead of the graphics route. The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 compete to see who can pump out the most triangles per second, but are crushed by the PC (although at a higher price). So, it's easy to see why Nintendo has the edge. Though, I never realized the Xbox 360 was outsold by the PlayStation 3 in monthly sales. I guess the price drop of the PlayStation 3 had a major effect on sales. It also seems that the PSP's sales won't be going anywhere far. I also never expected the Nintendo DS to keep selling that rapidly.
eday2010
william wrote:
It also seems that the PSP's sales won't be going anywhere far. I also never expected the Nintendo DS to keep selling that rapidly.

the more I look at it, the more the DS looks appealing. I think one reason it's kicking ass and taking names maybe is because it still has great 2D games, which is near impossible to find on home consoles these days withthe exception of the old school stuff on XBLA and VC. 2D platformers is the reason I will be getting a DS.
carlokes
Hi there,

Have to agree with eday2010. Graphics are not what makes a console successful but how fun and entertaining they are. Nintendo is a champion in party games and family games. Besides being a consoles that kids and grownups enjoy playing together, its not expensive.
A good example is the Sega Saturn Vs PLaystation. If we take b into consideration the hardware of each one, Sega Saturn is superior to Psx and we all now who was the most successful of them Smile

Stay Cool.
eday2010
The Saturn was under-utilized by developers because it was so complicated to program for it. Hence the lack of tidal waves of games.
misterXY
where is these stats from??? don't post things like this without a reference, even a gaming mag would be more handier. Yeesh Rolling Eyes