FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What HTML software do u use?

secondeye
Hi,
What HTML Software do u use to design ur Pages Like Dream weaver etc, Well Dream weaver creates very heavy pages so am Looking for an alternative one.. Do anybody of u Help me please in finding out a different software?
thewebkid
I just use Visual Web Developer 2005 Express edition. It allows me to view my code with colors and organize my websites and view them in a browser window. It's really handy at times.
imagefree
secondeye wrote:
Hi,
What HTML Software do u use to design ur Pages Like Dream weaver etc, Well Dream weaver creates very heavy pages so am Looking for an alternative one.. Do anybody of u Help me please in finding out a different software?

No. I used to use Frontpage and that makes heavy pages.
Dreamweaver provides you perfect control over your page design and styles, so you can remove all extra things from your pages.

I too use Dreamweaber (Version Cool
georgekalathil
In my opinion dream weaver is the best and most userfriendly..
secondeye
Ahan, so most of the users like us Use Dreamweaver, Because of it Easy Handling, Well I want to jump on other cause i noticed it that when i preview my page in IE, it Looks Really cool, but when i view same page in Mozilla Firefox, The result become worst Embarassed Sad Thats' y asking for a new better web design software.
imagefree
its not the problem with the technique. This is probably one of the major problems.
The main cause of this problem is that the most widely used version of Internet Explorer is IE 6 and it is the oldest version of any browser currently in market.

If you try to make your pages in Dreamweaver and continuously check them in IE, at the end, you will see the page with damaged in other browsers. The only solution of this problem is that change the coding technique and try to find the solution of problems by continuously checking the code in different browsers. If still any problem exists, bring it here, we are all for you to help.
romaop
secondeye wrote:
Hi,

Dreamweaver doesn't create heavy pages as long as you use good technique. I would agree if you had said "Frontpage" instead of "Dreamweaver". Frontpage generates a lot of rubbish code.

Sometimes repeated code is a good thing. I'm thinking on the use of templates that generate repeated code. Is that bad? No, it avoids a lot of work, protects (locks) part of the pages and don't go against accessibility.
GB
Exactly what imagefree said. A different web design program won't help you there. Unfortunately, Microsoft has decided not to fully support CSS or render things differently. Hopefully someday it will be standardized. Also, you may find it easier to design for Firefox and then include hacks for Internet Explorer.
kewiin
i onley use editplus2.
But then i mostly do php programing
silvertailsfox
I like Dreamweaver (just like everyone else) mostly because of its ability to have multiple pages open, css properties list, and ftp built-in. It really makes life a bit easier. I'm not sure if you're talking about programs for coding web design or what you is what you get web design. I'm more a coding person so Dreamweaver's ability to insert content and display the page in its own viewer aren't particularily helpful to me.
MeddlingMonk
I prefer to either hand-code using Wordpad or use HTML Kit, which still allows me to code by hand, but shows me the output of the code as well as allowing for error-checking.
secondeye
silvertailsfox wrote:
I like Dreamweaver (just like everyone else) mostly because of its ability to have multiple pages open, css properties list, and ftp built-in. It really makes life a bit easier. I'm not sure if you're talking about programs for coding web design or what you is what you get web design. I'm more a coding person so Dreamweaver's ability to insert content and display the page in its own viewer aren't particularily helpful to me.

Yeah, i do like dreamweaver MX but i face a problem like when ever i built my web by choosing tables and all that, the search engines can't search my whole page, it just select the few lines at meta or lines which are outside the table, And search engines crawls my pages few because of having too many tables i think. thats why preferring for some good application like dreamweaver (tell some alternative one)
Summer
I use NotePad. Faster to load =D
leontius
I like to use those kind of powered up text editors such as SciTE. It is super fast and has syntax highlighting for a multitude of languages (including HTML and CSS), and its agility makes me replace my needs for Notepad with this program.
irishmark
Dreamweaver - its a pro app - nuff said!
inphurno
scite is good i use notepad++ which has tabs (dont know if scite has tabs now) plus you can download plugins for comparing files and finding text in files which can help a lot when you have many files in different folders but you need to find where a certain section of code came from (maybe more useful for programing like with php instead of markup).

if you dont know how to use dreamweaver, i would think that its better to use your time learning how to code by hand then to learn how to use dreamweaver. if you use dreamweaver but you change stuff manually just write stuff by hand no? you can start with a premade template also and then just change stuff using tutorials on the net.
_AVG_
Yes, Notepad++ is very good.

Also, why don't you try HTML-Kit or Crimson Editor?

Actually, the best thing is to type HTML from the root instead of using a WYSIWYG Application such as Frontpage.

Once you get really advanced, use Dreamweaver. It's the best.
FlyingYouri
I like Dreamweaver CS3 from Adobe and Microsoft Expression Web from Windows Razz , but Dreamweaver is very good for me. And for PHP I use Notepad++, very good progam Smile .
SamiTheBerber
All you need is basic text-editor, which has syntax highlight and smart indenting tool. I used gedit to edit and gftp to transfer my sites. Now I use vim to make sites on my using servers. But if there is no ssh-possibility or vim in server. I edit them locally with vim and transfer them. Some servers have only nano, which I use for some minor editing.

When I was a windows user, I had notepad2, which was enough for that time, but now I'm in love with light text-based editors Smile
iamarun
After a long research and google i came to my last decision and settled up with ace html together with notepad++

I have used couple of software like coffeecup, dreamweaver, some other softwares.

I also like dreamweaver and sometimes i use it too.

keep up your good work
swapnilsarwe
well i have been using dreamweaver for last 3 years but i dont use it for designing. i use it as just another text-editor. but i like the facility to upload files directly to my ftp server also manage my different sites and also the php coding which i do.
so there is never a question of unwanted code being written since i write most of the code myself, which is relevant for development of my sites. so dreamweaver is coool as per me is concerned.

if you want some light application on your system go for editplus2. thats cool light software.
jylan
I use Taco Html Edit (http://tacosw.com/). It is free software made for Mac OSX. It use it because it provides features such as syntax colouring, live previews and project views. I suppose you could call it an advanced text editor Very Happy
pikachu25
Try

PageBreeze Free Website Builder is an award-winning HTML Editor which has both visual (WYSIWYG) and HTML tag/source modes. PageBreeze Free Website Builder's design emphasizes simplicity and ease-of-use. You'll find that you'll be creating great looking web pages almost instantly--with virtually no learning curve!

http://www.pagebreeze.com/free-website-builder.htm
misterXY
Summer wrote:

use it for Java Smile lol
{name here}
secondeye wrote:
Hi,

Dreamweaver is good to make layouts on (not looks, just layouts). You just need to do some cleanup afterwards. It's sort of getting obsolete, considering it renders pages to look like they are on IE 6 IIRC.

I don't use Dreamweaver anymore, however. I use Vim, because it's quicker for me to do it that way better now than it is for me to continue to use Dreamweaver to do things. Actually, I still do use Dreamweaver occasionally because Vim has some limits if you don't want to deal with inputting commands for some things consistently. I aught to learn it a little better.
guitarcrazy087
Notepad! lol, notepad is the best! Very Happy
Donutey
I've stayed with frontpage for a while, simply because that's where I started and it offers pretty a pretty good tab system and ftp transfers. I don't really use anything else, because I hand code everything, but as of late I've been migrating to dream weaver, mostly because of better syntax highlighting and it's easier to manage a larger site with it than with frontpage.
Relentless
secondeye wrote:
Ahan, so most of the users like us Use Dreamweaver, Because of it Easy Handling, Well I want to jump on other cause i noticed it that when i preview my page in IE, it Looks Really cool, but when i view same page in Mozilla Firefox, The result become worst Embarassed Sad Thats' y asking for a new better web design software.

Well dreamweaver does come witha report section and tells what part of the code can and cannot be displayied in which browers...

So what other excuse is there..?

DreamWeaver has been good 2 me...

Dan..
boldstance
i use HTML Edit. i'll rather so thru the hard work of coding by hand. easier for me
pikachu25
Good old Notepad

Also I'm making an html editor with a friend (with Microsoft VB) that has a pull down menu with all the tags to use
ankur.vatsa
@pickachu25

Quote:
Good old Notepad

Also I'm making an html editor with a friend (with Microsoft VB) that has a pull down menu with all the tags to use

When and how do you intend to release it?
welshsteve
My toolkit includes:

Notepad++ - brilliant free code editor, with colour coding and plugins

TopStyle Lite - excellent free CSS editor

Adobe Web Standard CS3 (Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash. Contribute)

MS Visual Web Developer Express 2008 - excellent for building .NET websites

Abode Design Premium CS2 (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, ImageReady, Designer, GoLive)

Paint.NET - the best free alternative to Photoshop in my opinion. Much easier to use than the GIMP

Web Developer Server Suite - a full server suite for testing your PHP sites locally. It includes apache, MySQL, PHPMyAdmin, Wordpress, Joomla, phpBB2, Drupal, MediaWiki.

Filezilla - excellent free FTP client

However, on a daily basis, the programs I use mostly are:

Notepadd++
TopStyle Lite
Photoshop CS2
Filezilla
Web Developer Server Suite (just runs in the background)

I only use the others on occasions. The Adobe stuff I got given as part of my CIW course so I didn;t need to pay for them Surprised)

I have a PC at home with the Web Developer Server Suite installed, plus Notepad++, TopStyle Lite, Paint.NET and Filezilla, and it's all I need for building websites.
CruceFx
Dreamweaver and notepad... easily
DjMilez
Notepad++

It's always the best to work with raw html imo. Notepad++ is basically notepad, but I like it better because it highlights specific coding parts.
swizzy
guitarcrazy087 wrote:
Notepad! lol, notepad is the best! Very Happy

nah, man... creates problems with ascii/binary stuff.. linebreaks dont come out properly... Wordpad is the best

However due to such a trend in dreamweaver... i think i should use it too...
Zuex
Dreamweaver<3
akh-international
I am just new in webdesign. however I can find Dreamweaveris the best...it is easy... Smile
Phil
I use Dreamweaver. But only because I got a real good deal on Ebay on Studio MX.
90% of what I do is in code view. I do find some of the panels included to be very helpful.
For graphics, GIMP does me just fine. I just wish I was better at graphics!
HTML KIt is a good free text editor, the built in FTP app is pretty sweet.

One thing I would strongly suggest to anyone who does web design is to use Firefox with the many many extensions that are available. Firebug, Web Developer, Measure-It........ There's even extensions that check links and give tons of SEO information.
welshsteve
Phil wrote:
I use Dreamweaver. But only because I got a real good deal on Ebay on Studio MX.
90% of what I do is in code view. I do find some of the panels included to be very helpful.
For graphics, GIMP does me just fine. I just wish I was better at graphics!
HTML KIt is a good free text editor, the built in FTP app is pretty sweet.

One thing I would strongly suggest to anyone who does web design is to use Firefox with the many many extensions that are available. Firebug, Web Developer, Measure-It........ There's even extensions that check links and give tons of SEO information.

There's also an accessibilty extension as well, which is excellent, although you can achieve a lot of what it does by using the tools in the Web Developer extension
Phil
Quote:
There's also an accessibilty extension as well, which is excellent, although you can achieve a lot of what it does by using the tools in the Web Developer extension

Firefox has many good extensions. I just don't have the time right now to list each good one with the links.
But that would get me 5 points for sure! Maybe I'll save that for another post.
mscon
Hey1 dreamweaver is always a better one. You can control your content and it is almost perfect in all the browser. if you are designing your own page you may use any but if you think of professional design dreamweaver is the best one.
ace_dude512
For now I'm using Pagebreeze HTML Editor because it's free, but I have the same problem as secondeye.
tamilparks
i am using frontpage 2003
slashnburn99
I used to use siteaid 1.3

i now use Coffecup (free)

http://www.coffeecup.com/free-editor/

Love original Notepad

Got Dreamweaver MX 2004, but for some reason prefer notepad for CSS and ASP (XML)

Coffecup, notepad and Frihost all you need to get started
mikakiev
I see, to use Dreamweaver efficiently requires some efforts! I hate reading Helps and Tutorial so on, though I'm a beginner. I prefer hand-coding with TextMate, and I used that soft as less as I could. Maybe it's the time I change my mind.
rshackelford
Summer wrote:

I have to agree, I use textpad which loads fast and I can use it to do java and c with.
Faraz
Used to use Frontpage. Recently started using Dreamweaver.
welshsteve
rshackelford wrote:
Summer wrote:

I have to agree, I use textpad which loads fast and I can use it to do java and c with.

Notepad++ is just as quick, and has all the benefits of a html editor as well, such as code color highlighting etc.
mikakiev
I used notepad++ before, when I was using Windows. It worked fine and I remember that it was good on character encoding; ANSI or UTF-8 and so on, compared to notepad. Now I use Textmate because one of my Mac mate recommended it.
milk
pikachu25 wrote:
Good old Notepad

Me too. You can do more intricate things with notepad that you can't do with these unnecessary wysiwyg programs. These kind of programs produce a lot of unnecessary markup. I'd rather organize my markup myself, to get exactly what I want.
Kaseas
Notepad ++ Very Happy
It is basically notepad, with tabs, and syntax highlighting.
You can download it here:
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
Kaseas
akh-international wrote:
I am just new in webdesign. however I can find Dreamweaveris the best...it is easy... Smile

But as you go along, you'll find you have to clean up errors that happened, or re-code modules, and otherwise meddle in code. If you wrote all that you'll have comments left and you'll be able to see what you were thinking and what went wrong.

Of course, you can do that with Dreamweaver, but you won't really know any of the code (unless you first learn html, and css and _then_ go to Dreamweaver).

Now I'm not in any way bashing DW, it's an excellent program that I too sometimes use, it's just it's not really conducive to learning how to design websites. If you look at some of the best websites, they were done a lot by hand. If you're making a homepage for your dog, DW will do just fine, but anything that requires custom code, you're better off with Notepad ++.

Those are my $0.02
Cmink32
notepad all the way. That's what I learned on and have been using for years.
fantabulousinc
Notepad does the trick =] Frontpage is also pretty good I guess, considering the fact that it's free. I don't see the point of HTML softwares, honestly. They just confuse me
keane
I like Dreamweaver, but I rarely use it. I use EditPlus (v3). I like the keyboard (CTRL+B) shortcut of EditPlus that allows you to preview your page instantly, without opening up a new browser window.