FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

XP v/s Vista v/s Mac OS v/s Linux

akshar
Quote:
At the end of 2007 one thing is clear... Windows Vista is far from the Wow revelation that Microsoft aimed for with the late January worldwide consumer launch. With Windows XP having dug in its roots from 2001 until early 2007, and owning the lion's share of the operating system market (more than 85%), Vista enjoyed, as well as the alternative operating systems such as Mac OS X and Linux, little elbow room. Still, while Mac OS X and Linux are growing on a niche eroding small portions from under XP, Vista had to go head to head against its predecessor. And in this context, what initially appeared as a case of natural evolution from XP to Vista proved to be a complex ballet that saw the latest Windows client grow its foothold on the operating system market at a steady but slow pace. This situation generated criticism that simply added to the mixed reviews associated with Vista, downplaying the last Windows iteration. And even if
Microsoft constantly labored to focus users on Vista, XP did manage to steal a part of the show.

With one month to go until the first year anniversary since Vista hit the shelves, XP is still a long way from falling to the 2nd position on the operating system market. According to data from Net Applications, at the beginning of December 2007, Vista was at 9.19% of the market. In just 10 months Vista has gone from 0.18% to over 9%, moving past Mac OS X and Linux. The percentage reflects Microsoft claims from October that there were approximately 90 million licenses of the operating system shipped into the channel. Microsoft failed to provide additional details about Vista's performance in terms of adoption since October, but with the holiday shopping frenzy, the platform is bound to go past the 100 million sold copies worldwide, even if the Redmond company will count all the licenses pushed to its channel partners as well.

Mac OS X, without a competitor for Vista, as Leopard dropped at the end of October, increased its market share by piggyback ridding on Apple Mac computers. At the end of November, the Cupertino-based company accounted for no less than 6.80% of the operating system market. The open source Linux operating system also had a good evolution in 2007. The various Linux distributions have almost doubled the platform's market share taking it up almost to 0.6%. Linux might be still stuck in the position of the indisputable underdog in comparison to its rivals, but with increasing support from OEMs such as Dell, at least the main distros, including Red Hat, SUSE from Novell and Ubuntu from Canonical, have the potential of going mainstream.

Of course, the statistics painting the overall picture of the operating system market are varying in accordance with the different mechanisms applied by metrics companies. Data made available by W3Counter puts Windows XP at 80.62% of the market, compared with Net Applications' 78.37%, and Vista at just 4.74%, at the end of November. Mac OS X is at 4.56% while Linux is credited with 1.77%.

Still, reading between the lines, the overall situation is the same with XP in the lead, Vista as runner up and Mac OS X and Linux trailing behind. 2008 will only accentuate the gap between Vista and its followers as SP1 will be released in the first quarter, while at the same time, closing the distance that separates it from XP.

Source: Softpedia

edit by rvec: please use quote tags when copying and add your own opinion to your post.
Also please post in the right forum.
HalfBloodPrince
I think that XP was the real WOW revelation. I mean, its pretty damn good for people to still prefer it six years later. Wink
bogger
XP is preferred cos it's less bugged, it's a new programme thing, same happened with Firefox 2.0, I didn't switch for 2 months while they fixed the teething problems.

W2000 was also better than XP at the start, but with patches, XP became better. expect the same of vista.

This isn't world news though, is it? also, you should just give us the link instead of quoting it directly without calling it a quote
secondeye
YEah XP is the best than previous version Except 98.
After this version y2k or millinium or 2000 is the worst version of Microsoft, Well 2000 is is also Good.
akshar
Its all about getting familier with the System. Many people who were accustomed to 98 use to say 98 is better than XP for quite some time.
After 3 years you will see XP getting extinct and Vista becoming a Common OS.

As fas as look and feel is concerned I found Ubuntu very much useful. That OS is really cool if u know a bit of linux
LostOverThere
akshar wrote:
After 3 years you will see XP getting extinct and Vista becoming a Common OS.

I would say this is probably what will happen. Except for the fact Windows 7 will be released in just 2 years. So either people don't get time to switch to Vista and just move on to Windows 7, or people stick with what they've got until Windows 7 is into its 2nd or 3rd year.

Either way, I doubt Vista will make it.
akshar
Depends. Popularity of Windows was more triggered by piracy. Vista is not available in gray market so easily. Secondly it is resource intensive and people who buy(thats oxymoron) pirated Software usually dont have money to have 2 GB of RAM and a 2Ghx processor.

Wait till PCs with 2GB RAM become common
mahirharoon
micro$oft will end xp support in 2010
so people will be forced to buy vi$ta for 500$ (M$ increases it day by day) from m$ or install linux
Ankhanu
I find myself agreeing with LostOverThere on this one. Vista is just going to be a flop... as it is, it really has little going for it. Hopefully they'll do better with 7.

As for XP no longer being supported by MS, that's not such a big issue. You can keep using the OS after MS stops patching; it won't suddenly cease to function. XP will have a few years of use after 2010, I think.
©Wolfie
mahirharoon wrote:
so people will be forced to buy vi$ta for 500$ (M$ increases it day by day) from m$ or install linux

Well.

XP is ok.
Vista is ok.
Mac OS 10.4 is better, but not much.
Mac OS 10.5 is nice.
Ubuntu r o c k s.

Why?
It's fast. It's stable. You don't need a big Personal Computer. It looks even cool with the new look which beryl and compiz. And compiz and beryl are light programs to run. With the worse Grapical Card are great effects possible!

And above everything: everything you need is free to download!
akshar
ubuntu is great. A possible killer of MS operating systems. But they need to improve upon the Graphics rendering part.
Currently they are using Compiz which gives many problems
LostOverThere
akshar wrote:
ubuntu is great. A possible killer of MS operating systems. But they need to improve upon the Graphics rendering part.
Currently they are using Compiz which gives many problems

Compiz isn't stable just yet. But in most cases it works decently. I love watching my windows fold up into an airplane and fly off. Smile
Arno v. Lumig
©Wolfie wrote:
mahirharoon wrote:

Well.

XP is ok.

Yup.
Quote:

Vista is ok.

Not really...
Quote:

Mac OS 10.5 is nice.

Might be
Quote:

Ubuntu r o c k s.

Why?
It's fast. It's stable.

Not my experience. It's the slowest and most unstable OS I ever used on my PC (I tried XP, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Debian, Sabayon, FreeBSD, Puppy Linux, OpenSuSE and Damn Small Linux). The only Linuxes that were faster then XP are Puppy and DSL. FreeBSD was also faster in some cases. Just my experience, and don't say I didn't try hard enough... Compiling a custom kernel and stripping down your GUI just doesn't help enough.
Quote:
It looks even cool with the new look which beryl and compiz.

Yea, for 10 minutes. Then you start getting angry because it keeps crashing
Quote:
And compiz and beryl are light programs to run.

That crash and eat your CPU
Quote:
With the worse Grapical Card are great effects possible!

Guess that's true.
Quote:

I paid for XP for 3 different computers just to not have to use Linux anymore. Windows is worth the money to me.
ssthanapati
Is Vista That bad????

It came bundled with my laptop and it runs quite smooth without any problems... Using it for six months and not a single crash.

Wat about people? did u have any serious problems with it...

But wud like 2 mention i still like XP as it supports a lotta software, but hope vista is gonna catch up soon Rolling Eyes
Ankhanu
I haven't had any stability issues with Vista... but I still don't like it, at all Razz

We picked up a new system in late August that had Vista bundled on it and, other than looking kind of nice, its performance has been utter trash. It's slow, VERY slow, and the system is not lacking in CPU or RAM speed. Add in some compatibility issues with "older" programs (2-3year old programs), the excessive or absent security features, and you just end up with a frustrating computing experience rather than an enjoyable one.

Even basic web browsing and word processing takes at least twice as long with Vista as it did on XP or Ubuntu (installed on lesser machines), or as it does with MacOS (on a comparable system). Without running any programs, Vista is operating at at least 40% RAM load (sometimes up around 65%)... this is part of why loading and running programs is so slow; it's just bloated.

The bonuses that Vista offer are HEAVILY outweighed by the lack of performance it causes.
LostOverThere
ssthanapati wrote:
Is Vista That bad????

It came bundled with my laptop and it runs quite smooth without any problems... Using it for six months and not a single crash.

Wat about people? did u have any serious problems with it...

But wud like 2 mention i still like XP as it supports a lotta software, but hope vista is gonna catch up soon Rolling Eyes

Install Windows XP or anything else, and you'll go twice as fast I bet.
kansloos
Probably not twice as fast, but Vista is currently way more bloated as XP.
I would say; don't upgrade to Vista before Microsoft drops support for XP.

About the Ubuntu hype, Ubuntu is nice... but it is not very fast or anything and as with most distro's I often end up bitching in terminals. Personally I don't find this a problem (Text-mode FTW!), but some people tend to think otherwise.

The only problem that I have with MAC OS, is the way of window managing, the top bar in were you control your active application, I don't like that...
Ankhanu
kansloos wrote:
The only problem that I have with MAC OS, is the way of window managing, the top bar in were you control your active application, I don't like that...

it does take a little getting used to. I've only been a Mac user for a little over a year now, and it probably took me about a week and a half to really get used to it. I'm not sure that I "prefer" it, but I do see its merits.
MarzEz
UBUNTU FTW!!!
although, i must admit, although ubuntu is my favourite OS, i always end up using xp, because it runs all my games... until it crashes.
about to re-install for the 5th time in just over a month.
as for Mac OS X...
no.
i HATE macs.
you can put a windows taskbar anywhere on the side of your screen, but when it comes to the gadget bar on OS X... left, right, or bottom, but not the top. oh, no, the top is reserved for "the mighty apple."
plus: they're slow, only recently started to support right-click, some laptops still don't, and the only decent thing is the graphical effects and the stability. No programs on mac OS X ever crash because IT DOESN'T RUN ANY!!!
f***ing macs.
as for vista...
don't even go there.
you can't burn a cd of music from your media player without enough patched files to build your own OS.
and, guess what, you like the graphical efects?
then get ubuntu 7.10. it looks almost the same.
anyway, enough said.

summary:
i love linux.
i use xp most.
i kill any mac that won't get me killed back.
and i hate vista just as much.
swizzy
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
©Wolfie wrote:
mahirharoon wrote:

Well.

XP is ok.

Yup.

XP is not 'OK', its one of the only good things that M$ ever created, so we might as well adore it...

Quote:

Vista is ok.

Yes, I feel its better than XP and many linux distros in functionality, and usability... however its speed and stability is lamentable... I know many of the people out there hate vista... because its total bloatware, however i'm sorry for the people who cant spare some resources to find themselves with a better OS such as Vista. However Vista is good only when you remove UAC, and other similar crap from it. I've stripped down Vista to bare minimal, and it works charms for me...

Quote:

Mac OS 10.5 is nice.

Undoubtedly.... Mac OS is better, but i would still like to see my movies, hear my mp3 and hide all my personal files in windows.. Cool

Quote:

Ubuntu r o c k s.

Why?
It's fast. It's stable.

yep, its fast and stable...so what... even DOS is fast and stable, an OS is supposed to make configuration easier for you... so that I dont have to compile and run half a dozen utilites so that my LAN card can be set to the proper duplex mode, and I can access my ISP... (now thats just an example, of how windows configuration is much easier than Linux... you dont have to go through the tiresome process of editing config files when its just a simple thing such as changing my monitor frequency)

Quote:
It looks even cool with the new look which beryl and compiz.

Yea, but what do i get just by burning, or shrinking, or blasting, or zooming my menus when they disappear, I would like something that can introduce productivity... many people want productivity + eye candy + stability... not just eye candy

Quote:
And compiz and beryl are light programs to run.

just because notepad is light... i dont keep it on always...

Quote:
With the worse Grapical Card are great effects possible!

Yep onboard cards are supported..

Quote:
Quote:

I paid for XP for 3 different computers just to not have to use Linux anymore. Windows is worth the money to me.

Yea but i dont care about money when it comes to my daily work.... I install ubuntu, get excited, configure it, tweak it, install all thats required... and just sit there staring at it... for me atleast, ubuntu (or any other linux) is good only when its on a web-server..

Windows offers much more possiblities for me.. I really dont care spending on it...
akshar
Windows is certainly worth the money, but i think linux is catching up fast with flavours like Debian and ubuntu.

As a developer linux and over all the open concept is wonderful.

I am planning to start a company and i just cant afford windows on all the machines, I gotta use linux now.
MarzEz
swizzy wrote:

Quote:

Ubuntu r o c k s.

Why?
It's fast. It's stable.

yep, its fast and stable...so what... even DOS is fast and stable, an OS is supposed to make configuration easier for you... so that I dont have to compile and run half a dozen utilites so that my LAN card can be set to the proper duplex mode, and I can access my ISP... (now thats just an example, of how windows configuration is much easier than Linux... you dont have to go through the tiresome process of editing config files when its just a simple thing such as changing my monitor frequency)

yes.
dos is fast and stable.
and it runs doom and stunts.
all you need is text editing, a first person shooter and a racing game, and you've got everything you're ever going to need. Very Happy
that's why i love dos.
don't pay it out.

btw swizzy, i like your avatar.
Fire Boar
XP is good.
Vista is okay.
Ubuntu is pretty good too.

I have a triple-boot configuration on my laptop, so I can easily use any of these operating systems. I think I'm in a pretty good position to comment.

XP:
Pros:
- Fast and effective for most standard applications
- Has been commonplace for yonks so is supported well
- I know my way around it pretty well

Cons:
- Not so good for server applications with high usage
- Somewhat prone to crashing

Vista:
Pros:
- Surprisingly resiliant to crashes
- Good security centre (though techies won't care)
- Looks and feels very nice

Cons:
- Very slow in comparison with the others
- Takes a while to work around the configuration pages
- Crap at acting like a server

Ubuntu:
Pros:
- Very nice desktop effects are possible
- Very fast, especially at shutting down
- Ideal for server applications
- Can be stripped down if you know what you're doing

Cons:
- Hard to set up and maintain
- A lot of applications don't support it (especially games)
Ankhanu
swizzy wrote:

Quote:

Mac OS 10.5 is nice.

Undoubtedly.... Mac OS is better, but i would still like to see my movies, hear my mp3 and hide all my personal files in windows.. Cool

What do you mean by this??
elyo-luk
I preffer opensuse, i've got opensuse 10.3 with KDE 4 and wine... and... is free so Razz Download it!
adri
swizzy wrote:

What do you mean with hiding your personal files in windows?
Make a invisible map in Wndows or just put your secret file in a rar-file with a password on, or just hide your secret stuff in a very long directory or something?
jeremyp
MarzEz wrote:

you can put a windows taskbar anywhere on the side of your screen, but when it comes to the gadget bar on OS X... left, right, or bottom, but not the top. oh, no, the top is reserved for "the mighty apple."

Is reserved for the menus actually.
Quote:
plus: they're slow,

Not since they moved to Intel CPUs.

Quote:
only recently started to support right-click, some laptops still don't,

Only if you call since about 10 years ago "recently".
swizzy
Ankhanu wrote:
swizzy wrote:

Quote:

Mac OS 10.5 is nice.

What do you mean by this??

O yea.. if you dont my explanation wrong... i hide all the sensitive stuff in the recycler folder, with system attributes to the file which is stored in a password locked rar archive.... works for me...

Idea but now i use TrueCrypt.... but i still hide the truecrypt file in the recycler folder..

adri wrote:
swizzy wrote:

What do you mean with hiding your personal files in windows?
Make a invisible map in Wndows or just put your secret file in a rar-file with a password on, or just hide your secret stuff in a very long directory or something?

invisible map?
Ankhanu
Interesting hiding location...

But what's stopping you from playing your movies and mp3s on a Mac?
Flarkis
IMHO

Linux is far superior to windows for one main reason. OPEN SOURCE. if a bug is found in linux someone in the comunity will come up with a fix rather quickly. On the other hand widows will take quite a while figuring it out. patching it. uploading it to microsoft updates. etc.

The only dowfall to linux in my opinion is hardware suport. I find drivers can often be buggy or out of date.

Thats my 2 cents,
Markus
csoftdev
linux is the best, vista is the worst,
actually ME is the worst, but vista is not much better than ME except maybe a little more stable but the memory hungry beast is not any better to me at all.
Kelcey
In order for me...

XP >>>>> Vista >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Linux

I haven't used a Mac OS for like 3 years so I don't have an opinion.
fadirocks
Kelcey wrote:
In order for me...

XP >>>>> Vista >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Linux

I haven't used a Mac OS for like 3 years so I don't have an opinion.

and how many linux distros have you tried?
lastelement0
right now my feelings on this whole debate is:

ubuntu>xp>vista>mac os

I cant stand macs for the life of me and just don't like its setup. never going to buy one. vista is just a mess in my opinion. i work at my school going around fixing computers and gathering information on the many many machines we have on campus. one of our professors has a vista laptop and it took me 5 min to get a damn cmd prompt open. if i knew about win+r at the time it would have been quicker but i was so used to start>run. maybe with more use i'll warm up to it but the need for better than average hardware and lackluster drivers and program support at least for now is keeping me away.

as for xp, i like it, it's not awful. but i found my machine becomming bogged down after a couple of months and just seemed to drag on.

then i started my switch to ubuntu. i had dual booted with xp for several months, and as time went on found myself booting into ubuntu much more often than i did xp. and back in february i made the switch and have ubuntu as the sole OS on my system.

at the moment have the most stable setup ive had and i have support for everything on my laptop, even my ATI graphics card which is one of the few hiccups that ubuntu has had.
surdy
I was about to say about LINUX , but what I had to say has pretty much been already said by others.

The point on which i would like to differ from the article is :
[quote="akshar"]
Quote:
2008 will only accentuate the gap between Vista and its followers as SP1 will be released in the first quarter, while at the same time, closing the distance that separates it from XP.

I don't see Vista picking up even with SP's being rolled out its one big mess of a an OS , Microsoft better stop pushing it and concetrate on improving on Windows 7
Worldcraft101
Macs are horrible TBH, Macs are probably only for people who dont know 2 shits about computers, So what if you say it runs faster and doesnt get viruses. People arent gonna waste time on a machine that only 15% of the computer population has. PLus when your poor little mac has a issue you have to send it to mac specialist. My windows will run circles around any Apple computer out there.
©Wolfie
Well, if you have somewhere an old laptop: P4 1.2Ghz with 256mb memory you will be able to run Ubuntu very very fast! You can't do serious tasks with it, but it's perfect for simple browsing, making documents, spreadsheats or what soever. And it's quite friendly. So if you want to make your mother happy: do that. Wink

I use it too for school. It's an old laptop which has a flat battery.... But it works amazingly fast! Wink I love it! You can even watch a DVD without problems!

Melle

off-topic:
PS: Isn't that great?