FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

advanced search engine

alalex
Hi guys, I am trying to build some kind of "advanced" search engine for my website. Not like google of course, but just advanced enough to have some of google's features.
What I mean by this is I want to enable multiple keyword search, and also if possible to display results based on appearances. And another thing I was looking forward was the typical "Myabe you meant to say..."

Ok, so my actual code is this:
Code:
$suser = strtolower(trim($_GET['suser']));
   if(!get_magic_quotes_gpc()) {
       $suser = addslashes($suser);
   }
   $keyword = $suser;
   if($keyword == '%'){
       echo 'Falló la búsqueda...';
      return;
   }
   $search = preg_replace('/\s+/', ' ', $keyword);
   $keywords = explode(" ", $search);
   $keywords = array_diff($keywords, array(""));
   //Set the MySQL query
   if ($search == NULL or $search == '%'){
   } else {
      global $database;
      for ($i=0; $i<count($keywords); $i++) {
         $query = "SELECT * FROM `users` " .
         'WHERE `username` LIKE CONVERT(_utf8 \'%'.$keywords[$i].'%\' USING latin1) COLLATE latin1_spanish_ci'.
         ' OR `email` LIKE CONVERT(_utf8 \'%'.$keywords[$i].'%\' USING latin1) COLLATE latin1_spanish_ci' .
         ' OR `name` LIKE CONVERT(_utf8 \'%'.$keywords[$i].'%\' USING latin1) COLLATE latin1_spanish_ci' .
         ' OR `last_name` LIKE CONVERT(_utf8 \'%'.$keywords[$i].'%\' USING latin1) COLLATE latin1_spanish_ci' .
         ' ORDER BY `username`';
      }
}

This code works perfectly, so dont worry if you see something missing, I just copied and pasted it and I may have left out some } or whatever...
And after all this I run the query and get the result, and I display the results.

If anyone knows how to add to this, or modify to make it faster/better please feel free to post! Wink
Thanks alot

EDIT:
All the latin1 and COLLATE and stuff dont worry about it, is just that my site is in spanish and I dont want mysql filled with errors because of special characters... Confused
alalex
I was googling around for ways to improve it, and I came across the MATCH()... AGAINST
I'm not sure how it works, but looks like it is exactly what I need.. But i dont know how to use it!

Well, still, any comments really appreciated!
manav
i guess it will be better to use a free intra site search engine generator to generate some code for ur site and then perfecting that code to get better results....

there r many search engine generators.. cn google them...