FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

.NET Framework for Linux

shenyl
Anyone knows if there is a stable .NET framework for Linux?

If there is no general Linux version are there .NET framework for Redhat version 9,10?

I am interested to try out the compatibility of Microsoft .NET framework on Linux, and later if possible even on MAC OS.

Your suggestions (hopefully with real experience of using it) will be very much appreciated.

Looking forward to helpful pointers and location where I can get them. Thanks.
MrBlueSky
There is indeed a .NET framework which runs on Linux (and OS X): Mono. It is supposed to be pretty stable, but I have no experience with it. It also has it's own IDE: MonoDevelop.
qscomputing
While it's true that Mono exists, there isn't really a good use for it at the moment. It doesn't implement enough of Microsoft's libraries to be used as a compatiability layer, and writing new code for it is a really daft idea. .NET is not standardised, so Microsoft can move the goalposts whenever it feels like - do you really want to be coding to a "standard" that changes on the whim of a company whose track record shows that it would do just that to break compatiability?
shenyl
Thanks MyBlueSky for the information on the existence of "Mono", will try it out to see how well it works.

Also thanks to qscomputing for the very thoughtful view and info on "Mono".

I fully agreed how Microsoft does their dirty sales tactics, by all sorts of unbelieveable approaches. One of the more recent one is to try a get their MS Word Doc format to be submitted for approval as "Open standard". But fortunately, they have yet the musscle to get it approved, and was rejected.

Agreed, but as I am teaching .NET and C# as a part-time lecturer, I do have to do my home work on this .NET platform and its evolution especially on Microsoft promises of a multi-platform architecture.

But to be also fair to Microsoft, it has deliver the .NET platform with more success than the promises from SUN open source Java platform. .NET can now be used in 30+ programming languages, while Java only can be developed in Java (that was not the original promise by SUN).

Thanks for all the helpful info, will do my part and investigate Mono.
shenyl
I managed to download the .NET stuff for Linux and woo! It is even able to run from Apache to pass the .NET (aspx, etc) to the mod_mono (Module for Mono), to resolve the .NET type of requests.

This seem promising, and I read a line from Novell - to win them over.

Looks like Novell is dead serious about converting every thing Microsoft has over to SUSE Linux.

Thank you all, will feed back after I have install and tried out some of the conversion.

Yap, Novell Mono project even provides a conversion check software to test the porting from Microsoft .NET to Linux .NET running using Mono.

With best regards
JayBee
qscomputing wrote:
While it's true that Mono exists, there isn't really a good use for it at the moment. It doesn't implement enough of Microsoft's libraries to be used as a compatiability layer, and writing new code for it is a really daft idea.

The biggest problem is with WinForms, but you can use another widget library (GTK#, QT#, wx.net) so you can create multiplatform applications.
I have many applications running on Mono.
shenyl
Thanks JayBee for enlightening me. This gives me more confidence to try out Mono.

Quote:
another widget library (GTK#, QT#, wx.net)
Code:

But these QT# and wn.net I have not seen in Mono, GTK# is packaged with mod_mono.

Will be great if you care to highlight where to find out on QT# and wx.net.

Seem I have stumbled on something greater than I what I expected.

With many thanks.