FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

anybody have idea on memory leak?..

internetjobs
anybody have idea on memory leak, how to solve the probem, in my server, running sql server 2000 and other related software. when i restart, memory usage is very low near 10 mb. but for one day it is going to morethan 1gb. so i have to restart the system every day.. pls give help. is it memory leakage?
PseudoKnight
I have not run SQL server 2000, but it's very possible that is normal. The only thing you can do to fix it if it IS a memory leak is to update the software.
SonLight
To find out what program is gobbling up the memory, monitor the virtual memory used by each process. If you determine, for example, that sql server consistently increases it's vertual memory use over time, then it is a likely culprit. In that case, you should be able to restart sql server periodically without needing to reboot the whole system.
AftershockVibe
Hmm... SQL Server should be a memory hog. It's a server application and in most situations that's all that will be running on the machine besides the OS and access programs.

If it wasn't using all the available memory then it wouldn't be doing what it was designed for. That said, it can of course still leak memory. Determining this won't be easy but you can get a rough estimate from the size of the data you're manipulating.