FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HP nx6110 Hanging Problem

Do you face a Hanging problem for nx6110 laptop?
Frequently
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Sometimes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Rare
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

viraj
I have a HP nx6110 model. This was provided to me by my college. Around 400 of these models were distributed at that time 2yr ago.

Now nearly 30 - 40 laptops of the firends whom I know show a simillar problem. The laptop hangs when it is started. It has to be lifted from the front or a book or sm thing need to be place under it. Also sometime it need to be pressed on the front pannel. This takes a long time to make the system steady (around 30 - 40 min) once this is done and the position of the laptop is fixed is works fine.

Again if we boot the Laptop, it shows the same bheviour.

Now, the problem is that the laptop is not in warrenty. Help me what to do.? Sad
eznet
If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that the notebook must be physically manipulated to get the notebook to boot up properly - i.e. you have to hold the notebook the 'right' way just to get it to boot up and then you have to keep it in this position to have everything work properly?

If this is true, and you have to hold the notebook a certain way to make it work, there is something wrong with the physical hardware of the notebook. First, I am curious if the notebook makes any 'odd' noises when booting? Does it sound like anything is grinding? It is likely either a) something physically wrong with the hard drive or the hard drive connections or b) something wrong with the motherboard or some of the many motherboard connections.

The only way that I can think that you could fix this would first involve taking the notebooks apart to diagnose the problem more accurately. Right now, without a view of the inside and more specific description of the problem, the problem could literally be anything - anything from a magical mischievous gnome to a electrical short on the motherboard (admittedly more likely the short than the gnome). You need to get a more specific diagnosis of the problem which I feel can only be done by physically breaking down the notebook and seeing what is actually causing these problems.

Post back more specific information about the problems and maybe some of us can help you find what needs to be replaced or changed to get these working....

Here is the HP service manual for this notebook - it may aid you in further diagnosing the problem with your notebook.
babumuchhala
eznet has just give the help from the physical angle as you have described, but have you tried removing unwanted stuff from the startup using msconfig

Plus you have also said that the system take 30 to 40 minutes to stabilize at times, and i feel that the culprit more or less is some rouge software, you could check the Task Manager to see if you have any stray process taking up all the processing time
eznet
babumuchhala wrote:
Plus you have also said that the system take 30 to 40 minutes to stabilize at times, and i feel that the culprit more or less is some rouge software, you could check the Task Manager to see if you have any stray process taking up all the processing time

Yea, I feel the same on this as well. It seems from the initial description of the problem that there is a physical element to the problem, but this could also be from viraj misunderstanding the what the symptoms are also.

The descriptor 'stabilize' in regards to windows definitely seems like some software related issue, so I would definitely check into that first - however, I am skeptical of the software approach if viraj's information about physical manipulation of the computer for proper boot-up is in fact correct...

I can also recommend Hiren's Boot Disk to help diagnose physical problems on the computer if it makes it past POST...
emem
my friend has this laptop and he hasn't encounter any problems yet
eznet
I wonder if viraj's lappy bit the big one.... been a min since hes been back....
viraj
eznet wrote:
If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that the notebook must be physically manipulated to get the notebook to boot up properly - i.e. you have to hold the notebook the 'right' way just to get it to boot up and then you have to keep it in this position to have everything work properly?

If this is true, and you have to hold the notebook a certain way to make it work, there is something wrong with the physical hardware of the notebook. First, I am curious if the notebook makes any 'odd' noises when booting? Does it sound like anything is grinding? It is likely either a) something physically wrong with the hard drive or the hard drive connections or b) something wrong with the motherboard or some of the many motherboard connections.

The only way that I can think that you could fix this would first involve taking the notebooks apart to diagnose the problem more accurately. Right now, without a view of the inside and more specific description of the problem, the problem could literally be anything - anything from a magical mischievous gnome to a electrical short on the motherboard (admittedly more likely the short than the gnome). You need to get a more specific diagnosis of the problem which I feel can only be done by physically breaking down the notebook and seeing what is actually causing these problems.

Post back more specific information about the problems and maybe some of us can help you find what needs to be replaced or changed to get these working....

Here is the HP service manual for this notebook - it may aid you in further diagnosing the problem with your notebook.

Ya, the notebook has to be held in a picular position for getting it working. Also the notebook doesnot make any unpredicted noise. Also, the CD writer of this notebook cannot write cd's it can only read.

Few of the known people who have purchased this notebook also faced the same problem, as they were in warranty they were saved. I think their motherboadr was replaced.

One of the friends faced this twice and got motherboard replacement twice.

Can u help me out ....
froginabox
I would try calling HP technical support to see if they can at least give you a quote on how much it would cost to fix it... it sounds like some connections are probably loose somewhere inside your laptop. If you can take it to a local computer shop I would do so.
dmystic
Maybe it is worth trying to look at your cooling fan(s). many laptops got a fan beneath the laptop, so it might be overheating problems, maybe an idea to check if the fan is working, and if not, try to replace it, or let it be replaced by HP, and if it does work, and you see that it starts working when you lift it in such a way that hole what supplys air comes free, it might help if you place just a normal ventilator/airconditioning/whatever beneath it. also a possibility to see if it is heat problems, go to your bios when you turn your laptop on (mostly the F1 or the dell buttons) and look if you see something called h/w/ monitor, or system health etc. on the temperature of your laptop...
viraj
if its a problem with the fan.. how come the laptop works well after some time (half - one hr)
.... And more over this is a problem with almost 60% of people i know with this laptop.
aplpbm
I'm seeing the same problem. The computer will hang up, but will respond if you give it a little twist or keep it in a certain position. I read another entry on a different website where pressing on the CMOS battery will help it out. Seems like it's a manufacturer's defect. Of course, it's out of warranty now, and HP doesn't appear to be making the system board anymore. Cost of the system board is around $ 450 which is outrageous. I'm going to try berating the service department at HP and see if they've known about this problem and issued (or failed to issue) a recall.
viraj
aplpbm wrote:
I'm seeing the same problem. The computer will hang up, but will respond if you give it a little twist or keep it in a certain position. I read another entry on a different website where pressing on the CMOS battery will help it out. Seems like it's a manufacturer's defect. Of course, it's out of warranty now, and HP doesn't appear to be making the system board anymore. Cost of the system board is around $ 450 which is outrageous. I'm going to try berating the service department at HP and see if they've known about this problem and issued (or failed to issue) a recall.

The service department says your warrenty is over.. and charge u a heafty sum.. If this is a problem mass is facing with the same series the HP should resolve this free of cost..
Idea
viraj
Hey!! the service department says that the problem is with the mother board and have asked me to replace the motherboard. They are charging $360 + taxes for this.

Anyone having spare motherboard for me... Laughing
ar444
Hi, i have hp compaq nx6110, unfortunatly it does not boot up at all. when press the button power it shows hp invent then under that F10:based setup.now the key f10 is not functioning, any key of the key board is not working, then no more step ,it jam at this stage. please if any onecan help or advice me.thanks
reybru1
ar444 wrote:
Hi, i have hp compaq nx6110, unfortunatly it does not boot up at all. when press the button power it shows hp invent then under that F10:based setup.now the key f10 is not functioning, any key of the key board is not working, then no more step ,it jam at this stage. please if any onecan help or advice me.thanks

I have the same issue with my hp nx6110 but found a workaround. First thing to do is to clean the dust (if there's any) on your fan and and the back of your keyboard. Reseat your memory and harddisk. Boot your laptop and slowly lift the upper left side of your screen, 5 to 10 degrees angle will do. Check if the harddisk indicator is running on the buttom left of your laptop (should have a blinking green). If it works, you could put a coin (as large as a quarter) and placed it on the bottom left beneath the rubber (below the USB port).

Let me know if it works?
steveaustin
This HP forum thread link gives many details regarding the actual problem. Bottom line is that the problem rests with the Ball Grid Array Intel chip on the mobo which is located underneath the touchpad. It would be considered the south bridge. I placed a 1 centimeter thick hard rubber eraser on top of this chip and the continuous pressure keeps this chip in contact with the mobo. Yes there is a slight hump above the touchpad now, but I have had no problem with hanging or usb port issues. Bizarre but true; and much cheaper than a replacement mobo. Smile

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-HP-ProBook-Compaq-Slate/nx6110-hangs-freezes/td-p/747284
williamsguides
some of the connections might be loose or contacts are loose .Pl check if all the screws are properly placed & fitted , if you check & make it ok your laptop will work fine