FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

More obvious 'new post' image when viewing topic

Your opinion:
It needs to be bigger
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
It is fine the way it is
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
I have an opinion!
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

ocalhoun
So, here's a simple, and moderately useful suggestion:

Make the 'new post' symbol () on posts (when viewed while reading the topic) more obvious. This will make it easier to find where you left off last time you visited the topic. I often to this in order to see new developments in old topics without having to read or even skim all the posts (I remember them well enough), but the little icon is so small it is hard to see.
I know there is little room for making it vertically larger, but it could be made wider and possibly more eye-catching. This could be easily accomplished by simply editing the image in the theme folder.

Possibly the 'old post' icon (similar, but white) could be made bigger to match, but this is not necessary.
tidruG
If we make it bigger, it'll probably break the theme a little bit.
But then again, neither am I FOR your idea nor AGAINST.
The icon has always been pretty easy for me to spot. I just spot the first one, and then all the replies that follow it are new.
AftershockVibe
I've never really had this problem but enlarging an icon can't really hurt (provided it doesn't destroy the layout as a side effect).

I always use the link on the forum so that the browser automatically scrolls to the oldest new post in the topic.
Genesiz
Maybe rather than changing the image, you could have something else in addition to the image. It doesn't have to be complex; a simple 'NEW POST' put next to the report/quote/edit buttons would be sufficient. And, putting in the big space next to it would make it stand out alot more, thereby solving your problem.
rvec
I've never noticed this icon Razz
I think it could be a bit bigger before it destroys the layout.

AftershockVibe wrote:
I've never really had this problem but enlarging an icon can't really hurt (provided it doesn't destroy the layout as a side effect).

I always use the link on the forum so that the browser automatically scrolls to the oldest new post in the topic.

what link is that? Sounds very useful.
garionw
what about changing the post background colour to a lighter shade of blue?
rvec
what about this?:

Yeah I know I don't have Ps skils Razz But you get the idea
AftershockVibe
rvec wrote:
what link is that? Sounds very useful.

I'm afraid that I'm wrong Sad It looks like I'm referring to a function on IPB forums, not PHPBB (like Frihost). The "last post" links on PHPBB will always take you to the last post (not the last one you haven't read).

I've had a quick look to see if there's a PHPBB mod to implment it but I can't find one. Sorry.
garionw
rvec wrote:
what about this?:

Yeah I know I don't have Ps skils Razz But you get the idea

Hey, thats me! (and a button to "spam" me)

That would be the simplist way, all Bondings would have to do is resize the image, or change the specifications in the template

That would be the better way to do it, but may require more coding and time
rvec
lol
I hope you meant to change the color at the first new post? That would be even better yeah. I don't think that'd be hard to code. Probably just one line in the php file and one line in a css file (long time since I tried something in phpBB so I might be wrong).
mathiaus
That would change that bar colour for all new posts though. A new topic would have all it's posts with those horrible bars.

I suggest adding new coding in which would change the bar between new posts red only between old posts and new ones. Maybe not red but changing that part of the theme would be best IMO for several reasons. Its not an image so you don't have to look a specific part of the page as it goes the whole length of the post and the user box section (left). It's also not per post so only having it once would be cool.
There is the downside of different pages which I haven't given much thought to but I still like my idea Razz

Genesiz
But something like that means the page loses its slickness. Whatever you choose to illustrate the new posts needs to be subtle yet obvious. To explain, it needs to be subtle (i.e. not stick out too much or ruin the look of the page) but immediately obvious to the reader.

Here's something i just really quickly made. Obviously it would look better than this but you get the point:

Its not too big that it ruins the look of the page, yet it is immediately obvious to the reader, and you could easily scroll down to find it.
truespeed
I've never even noticed the little new post icon's within the threads before,quite handy now i know they are there,i have always relied on my memory to know which posts i have read and which i haven't.
ocalhoun
mathiaus wrote:

That's good! Even better than my idea. It would fit the theme better and still be as noticeable, though, if it were dark blue, I think.

truespeed wrote:
I've never even noticed the little new post icon's within the threads before,quite handy now i know they are there,i have always relied on my memory to know which posts i have read and which i haven't.

Ah, but that requires you to at least skimmingly read every post in the thread before you find the new one.
Blaster
You are making this way harder then need be. Just do something this simple. In the viewtopic_body.tpl add the following code at the top

Code:
<a href="{postrow.U_MINI_POST}">New posts in the Forum</a>

Obviously this can be changed a bit. Bondings is an awesome programmer especially with phpbb so i think he can work around something like this.

http://entourageforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=239 here is an example of what i am talking about. Just to warn you the rest of that site is full of spammers so please don't do anything with it. Thanks
Genesiz
I think what ocalhoun was talking about was seeing which posts in a topic were new, as opposed to whether the topic has new posts. You can tell whether or not a topic has new posts in it by the image next to the topic name in the forum list, whereas it is less obvious which posts in that topic are new.
tidruG
Blaster, I didn't understand what the link was all about.
Blaster
Gurdit what i mean is it will add a link at the top of the page that will bring it to the newest post in that topic.
m-productions
Blaster wrote:
Gurdit what i mean is it will add a link at the top of the page that will bring it to the newest post in that topic.

That sounds like a very good idea, even better if there are many pages, and you dont remeber what page was the last.

of course nothings ever going to be changed on this site =/
Blaster
so what do others think of my idea
sonam
Maybe we can change background behind avatars where is start new post. Or maybe thin orange border around avatars place.

Sonam
LukeakaDanish
Me? I've never even noticed the icons...so they are probably too small!

Let me promise this: when the frihost redesign project gets to the forum skin (I'm working on something at the moment, no idea when it'll be done though), I'll DEFINITELY make it bigger!

Voted "I have an opinion" Razz
misterXY
im for the idea of making it bigger or a new theme. it's hard to notice. but dont want it to break the theme nor be obnoxious
ocalhoun
*Glad to hear idea is generally accepted*
*Sad to hear that it will be delayed along with the indefinitely delayed redesign project.*
Just how is that coming along anyway...?
LukeakaDanish
ocalhoun wrote:
*Sad to hear that it will be delayed along with the indefinitely delayed redesign project.*
Just how is that coming along anyway...?

The skin for the main page is done - (and has been for ages). When Bondings has time and if he actually wants too it will be implemented. No idea when that will be though Sad

I've worked on some design stuff for the forum, but as long as bondings doesn't look at it, (or any other suggestions for that matter) there's no point in putting more work into it.