FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Need Help

nivre
Hello everyone...

I'm currently studying Information Technolgy...with regards to this we are to develop an online system...I have chosen an Online Ordering System for books. Well problem is, i'm new to PHP and MySQL and i don't know how to start...Its not as huge as Ebay or Amazon...just a smaller version of it..Hope anyone can help me with this one...I really really don't know how to start the development... Also, i'm waiting for Frihost to approve my request for the hosting of the site....Hope you can help...

God Bless and Happy Holidays...
rvec
first try to learn some basic php. The variables, the if/else and other basic things like that. The same with mysql, try to learn the insert, update and select commands.

second, write down everything you want, and try to keep it as small as possible at first (it is after all your first site). Think of what you want on every page, give the pages names and try to think about the code a bit.

third start writing what you can and keep php.net on the background (or a php book or some other php site). When I wrote my first site I kept an IRC channel open and php.net.

Good luck
AftershockVibe
You don't need to wait for FriHost to approve your account before you can start learning or working. In fact, you might not even need to have the site on the "real" internet unless your project says to.

I'd suggest you download PHP, MySQL and Apache and install them on your own machine. Then you have a local webserver which makes development much easier and faster.

If you don't want to mess around with setting up all of these individually then you can use a package like XAMPP - You'll get a lot more stuff in there that you probably won't use but it will save you manually editting configuration files.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Cool
Diablosblizz
AftershockVibe wrote:
You'll get a lot more stuff in there that you probably won't use but it will save you manually editting configuration files.

Good point, but if you don't want the FTP and Mail server then download Xampp Lite. It's just Apache, MySQL and PHP. FTP would be great if your running the Xampp server on a different machine.

Best of luck.
nivre
AftershockVibe wrote:

If you don't want to mess around with setting up all of these individually then you can use a package like XAMPP - You'll get a lot more stuff in there that you probably won't use but it will save you manually editting configuration files.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

I have not thought that it is easier to setup your localhost unlike what i did before, having different installers for apache and MySQL...Anyways, thanks for the site you have given me...Its all working and I'm ready to start with my program...Thanks a lot... can I use frontpage or dreamweaver to create the user interface and just copy some codes from it and paste it in notepad? Can i create a table in another MySQL database manager and embed it to the MYSQL provided by XAMPP?

TO those who posted their replies here in my question, thanks a lot...

Thanks Frihost - Lot of good people around..