FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

my photography site - finished!

bjwok
hi folks, bumping this thread to promote my site as it is finally finished!

thoughts?

cheers Smile

http://www.bjwok.com/
expert77
nice site and real good pictures but your site title is hidden i can not see it clearly
bjwok
ahh thanks man, i will need to work on that. might need to put the whole page into a table or something... cheers for the heads up.
bjwok
how is it previewing now man?
cavey
Wow! That's really impressing photos!
Cool gallery. But it would be nice if you could navigate to the next photo by clicking on the big photo.
Also the photo comment can be hard to spot.
Candy and nature. What an interresting combination :D
bjwok
thanks champ, yeah there are some things i would change about the gallery if it were my creation, but it is a template... i don't have a huge understanding of flash (something i want to change this year!) but the idea was just to get my photos out there...

thanks for the comments Smile
nisibdv
I have mozilla and yor site doesnt upload correctly. I could not see it. It is preferable to make sites simple so they are widely viewable.
bjwok
mate i use firefox and the site is fine. and so do a bunch of my mates. i suggest you check you net settings as something sounds wrong at the your end.
misterXY
bjwok wrote:
mate i use firefox and the site is fine. and so do a bunch of my mates. i suggest you check you net settings as something sounds wrong at the your end.

a bit plenty of flash for my tasting Crying or Very sad
bjwok
ain't nothing wrong with flash buddy!
KatanaSky
loved it - does it take a lot of time (or money) to create/maintain a flash website?
LostOverThere
Nice design and lovely photos. Only suggest would be to not use flash. Seeing some of us are still on dialup.
SamiTheBerber
Very nice flash-based gallery :O
bjwok
didn't take me any money or time to maintain my flash gallery as i used a template and did the coding myself!

who uses dial up? it's 2008 man!!
KatanaSky
bjwok wrote:
didn't take me any money or time to maintain my flash gallery as i used a template and did the coding myself!

hm.. where would you recommend one start to learn how to do that?
bjwok
a good place to start would be:

http://www.dezinerfolio.com/

lots of informative tutorials and loads of free stuff too!
benjad
I ran into the same problem. Running screen resolution at 1440x900, and the bottom navigation bar runs below the screen in Mozilla. To be safe, I would resize your content to 1024x768, and center it in the middle of the screen. The scroll bars take away from what really is an AWESOME site, with really nice picS!
thewebkid
KatanaSky wrote:
bjwok wrote:

hm.. where would you recommend one start to learn how to do that?

Well even though it's 2008 you till have to take into consideration that not everyone can afford to pay for high speed Internet. As a web designer one thing we have to put into consideration is the ability to display your website with using up as little space as possible with keeping good quality. You can still accomplish the same thing with javascript and make it more dial-up friendly. Also I would suggest creating some pages for your site. Such as an about or contact or home page that describes who you are and why you take photos. One reason being is people like to know. Also, some visitors may have a hard time finding your other galleries if they don't know how to navigate the flash on that page. Jut some thoughts.
irishmark
nice photos but the design is a bit dull and there is no title to the site. - no text stating what you are looking at or where you are on the net.
BLAK
I agree with @thewebkid. I have done my personal portfolio and I saved all the pictures and thumbnails as .jpg's? What do you think is better for web? JPG - or - GIF ?
bjwok
to webkid, nope i don't care for dial up and it is your own problem if you are still using it. there are soooo many broadband options these days, dial up is dead. and if you really are forced to use it then you should probably only use it for emails, not browsing photography websites!

i think i will change my site anyway, as i am not really digging it lately, some of the pics are a bit um too.

blak, save your jpgs as optimised for web, makes a big difference!
bjwok
bump folks.

i have just completely changed my site and would love to hear feedback from you cobbers!

check it out now at:

http://www.bjwok.frih.net/

cheers Smile
insolent1
So nice flash, go on.
bjwok
that isn't even a sentance man, what do you mean by "go on"??
insolent1
Sorry,
I mean that continue your good work.
bjwok
i see, slightly confusing that's all!
Shewolf
The gallery looks amazing! (Yes, I am slightly jealous.. Embarassed)
All your pictures are good, and some of them do even carry some really nice ideas. Keep up the good work, and I'll love to visit your site again later on Very Happy
bjwok
thanks shewolf!

i am loving photography! i've just got my new lens, there will be some additions to my gallery soon i feel!

cheers again Smile
bjwok
ok, i added a few pics using my new 24-70L, both taken in the kitchen i work part time in. thoughts?
SamiTheBerber
Your new photos looks great. The tiltviewer is very awesome Smile
bjwok
thanks champ Smile more coming...
nivinjoy
Hi friend i liked all your photos...especially the "Sweet Kiss" one...!! I liked it very much...Also the thing which attracted me the most was the presentation of the photos using Tiltviewer...

Great work..Keep it up...Wish you all the best and all the success..!!Keep doing well...!!!
bjwok
thanks for the comments champ! glad you liked sweet kiss! and yeah the tiltviewer is cool isn't it!!
BPrice
nice site I like the way the album works
bjwok
thanks man!
bjwok
added a few more pics using the 27-70L, thoughts?
Flakky
The tiltviewer is great stuff Smile That's a really positive thing. The main page lacks elements, it's quite boring and misses a lot of data. Nothing convinced me to call or email.
shifarafi
bjwok wrote:
i've decided to rehash my personal site and only include my pics on there.

take a look, i'd love to hear your thoughts!

cheers

your gallary looks nice buddy...

can you say about that gallary script which you used to...
bjwok
hi Flakky, the idea is to be a little silly and a little cheeky. not to be too professional.

shifarafi, i used tiltviewer mate, the link is to the bottom right of the gallery page...
irishmark
i found the titlviewer to be a bit annoying however being able to flip the pic over to get the detaisl was nice.
bjwok
well as i thought would happen, i grew tired of the tiltviewer novelty and have just changed it to a more professional approach. been getting some good live event gigs lately and want more, so the gimmicky feel to tiltviewer had to go!

check it now

bjwok
hi guys, i am wondering if someone could check my site in IE?

i use firefox and safari and it works fine but i need to make sure IE is cool too.

my site:

bjwok
is there anybody out there?
phpc0d3r
Checking it now. Give me a minute Smile
phpc0d3r
Works great in both IE7 and Firefox3.

Very nice photography, by the way.
bjwok
thanks heaps mate! was wondering where everyone went!
guitarcrazy087
Over all it looks great but I just noticed a couple things. First, I think the colors clash just a bit... you might be able to keep the basic color scheme but I would change them a bit. Second, the page was a tad too wide so I had to use a horizontal scroll bar, which isn't necessarily bad, but I just really don't like them. Maybe making your site smaller, or using percentages for widths would fix it.

Joe

P.S. I love you photography, keep it up!
Ghost Rider103
Looks pretty good overall.

I think you could do somethig better with the right side, to organize it a little better, and make it look a litle nicer.

Nice layout though, clean and simple!
bjwok
cheers mate, what would you suggest for that right side? i don't think i want to have it scroll down the page (ie. i don't want any more content). got any ideas?
speeDemon
The site is great, but some resolution problem is there in IE, i used reso of 1024 X 768...

The photos are great...!!!!!!

The Flash used is also great, I think you used some premade template, because I have seen the exactly same kind of photo display in many other websites!

But i would give it a 8/10!!

Great work!
bjwok
thanks mate. as usual, i have now had this design for over three weeks and am busy redesigning it! lol! i will post a link to the new site when it is done (i am also buying a domain name).

stay tuned!
bjwok
hi folks, bumping this thread to promote my site as it is finally finished!

thoughts?

cheers Smile

http://www.bjwok.com/
speeDemon
ooooooooooooh, better!!

but the glamr thing... naa.... keep it family.....

u may consider adding tons of more photos...
bjwok
thanks man, i am interested in photography and that means all styles of photography (at this stage anyway, later on i may diverse into one aspect, but while i am learning i have to keep an open mind).

stoked that i coded the site myself, i can add to it whenever i get new shots!
msfuture
Nice design man it looks good and proffesional
I like the pictures to nice shots u made there.

Good job keep going
Afaceinthematrix
You have a really cool site. I like the pictures under "landscapes" the best. There are some pretty beautiful pictures under there. It almost inspired me to open up a site like that, but then I realized that I don't have the time or a good enough camera to get decent photos.
bjwok
thanks guys! glad you enjoyed my site. if i have inspired anyone to start taking more pictures then i am a happy man!