FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

9 dots

rvec
Miriah wrote:
I am working on an equation, but it is an equation on boundaries. So far I have how religion, government, family, culture, and society affect us in the way that we give ourselves boundaries. The thinking people do "inside the box"...and how to get "outside the box"... I don't even know if this will work...I have been working on it for months... LOL It is something fun to do...and challenging, for me anyway, due to AS.

This made me think of a riddle my math teacher gave me a couple of years ago.

Price will be 50 frih$ just because it needs a price as it's in the contest forum.

There are 9 dots, how do you connect them with 4 lines.

Please don't google it or scroll down. If you don't see it you can keep on trying to figure it out for days . Razz
william
Heh, I saw this puzzle a few years back, but I didn't figure it out right way and didn't solve it. Seeing it again, I seem to have just figured it out. I'm not in the position where I can upload a picture, so I'll do it like this:

1 - 2 - 3
4 - 5 - 6
7 - 8 - 9

Line 1: Connect 3, 6, and 9.
Line 2: Connect 7, 8, and 9
Line 3: Connect 1, 5, and 9
Line 4: Connect 2 and 4

Funny thing is that I never managed to figure it out those years ago. Seeing it now (despite being a bit late), I figured it out in an instant. I really like these types of puzzles that get you to think outside the box. Some of them boggle me for days, and take a few nights of sleep to finally get it.
rvec
sorry forgot to mention you have to be able to make the lines while not taking the pencil off the paper (I also always suck at jokes). SO this part:

is not possible else you could also do it with 3 lines (1-3, 4-6, 7-9).
endless
topattern of the liens is red,blue,purple, green

i didn't used google, but i made one once with 16 dots, so this was piece of cake
Hammy
I would of tried... but the picture of the dot's didnt appear when i viewed the thread... So i googled to see what the puzzel looked like cuz oviously it seems quite easy if u cld put the dots anywhere lol.. well anyways the stupid page had the answer on n spoiled it for me Sad
rvec
oops yeah william was right but I misread it Embarassed
he deserves the frih$

was a long night last night. Confused
endless
i think im right thou, you said, dont take pencil of paper, and if you do what william said you would get this.

[img=http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/6826/9puntimi1.th.gif]

and to make to blue lines, you need to take the pencil of the paper, or just wiggle all the way around the dots. but as far as i know only straigth lines allowed Confused

so i guess im right Very Happy
rvec
endless
william wrote:
Heh, I saw this puzzle a few years back, but I didn't figure it out right way and didn't solve it. Seeing it again, I seem to have just figured it out. I'm not in the position where I can upload a picture, so I'll do it like this:

1 - 2 - 3
4 - 5 - 6
7 - 8 - 9

Line 4: Connect 2 and 4

Funny thing is that I never managed to figure it out those years ago. Seeing it now (despite being a bit late), I figured it out in an instant. I really like these types of puzzles that get you to think outside the box. Some of them boggle me for days, and take a few nights of sleep to finally get it.

rvec, 2-4 is line 4, in your pic its line 3. so im right Smile
rvec
alright i'll give you both 50 frih$