FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Liberal...?

Che
What is being liberal?
Ok guys, English is not my native language, and either the US my home country, that's probably why I've been wondering the urban meaning of the adjetive Liberal. I have heard people use it as to that it is something bad, something you wouldn't want to be.

Then I go to the dictionary and here is what I find:
Quote:
lib·er·al (lbr-l, lbrl)
adj.

1. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
2. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
3. Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
4. Liberal Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.
1. Tending to give freely; generous: a liberal benefactor.
2. Generous in amount; ample: a liberal serving of potatoes.
3. Not strict or literal; loose or approximate: a liberal translation.
4. Of, relating to, or based on the traditional arts and sciences of a college or university curriculum: a liberal education.
1. Archaic. Permissible or appropriate for a person of free birth; befitting a lady or gentleman.
2. Obsolete. Morally unrestrained; licentious.

At this point even more confusion came to my head... I though the meaning of being a liberal person was, being a free thinker, an individual who is not influenced by what other think but by his own intellectual conclusions...

What do you guys think?
goutha
I'm trying to give a second life to this topic...

Since August 27th 2005, no one posted a replay...

Quote:
I have heard people use it as to that it is something bad, something you wouldn't want to be.

I'm not really ok with you... We need more libreal people in this world in order to get peace!!!
Kirbyssj
I think the key to that def is 1. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.

This would be the Democratic Party in the Us. Which might help you shed light on the topic of Liberals vs Republicans. I'm guessing you herd the world Liberal being used in political context.
ocalhoun
Che wrote:

3. Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
4. Liberal Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.

That would be the context that is probably confusing Che.
Quote:

3. Not strict or literal; loose or approximate: a liberal translation.

2. Obsolete. Morally unrestrained; licentious.

These two definitions are the main reasons I disagree with liberalism.
jon9314
liberals usualy want to let fags and tree huggers change all of our values.
they also blow smoke up the lower-classes but making them believe that they are looking out for their(lower-class)best interest.
scimitarmoon
I'm constantly accused (lol) of being a liberal. Unfortunately for your opinion, I don't want to force anyone to change their opinions. I just want everyone to be allowed to have and express their own opinion, within less-strict limits than we have right now. For example, people should be able to express their thoughts on "tree hugging" and homosexuality or "fags" without being insulted because they disagree with your values.

For me it's more a matter of respect and equality (concepts that seem to be foreign to most of the conservatives I've met) than anything else.
{name here}
In simplest terms a liberal is someone who believes the government should directly help the people. A conservative believes that we should help the people indirectly through helping business.
saratdear
Quote:

1. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.

A liberal person is a free person, not bound by anything, who has his own views and notions on things, and is not affected by outward forces.

Quote:

1. Tending to give freely; generous: a liberal benefactor.
2. Generous in amount; ample: a liberal serving of potatoes.

For example, when you say to a teacher, "Madam, please be liberal in the correction of the test papers, you are requesting her to have a rather not-so-strict correction.
And, when you say that, "He gave a liberal donation to the orphanage", you mean that he was not miserly in the donation.
goutha
Broadly speaking, liberalism emphasizes individual rights.

It seeks a society characterized by freedom of thought for individuals, limitations on power (especially of government and religion), the rule of law, the free exchange of ideas, a market economy that supports free private enterprise, and a transparent system of government in which the rights of all citizens are protected.

In modern society, liberals favor a liberal democracy with open and fair elections, where all citizens have equal rights by law and an equal opportunity to succeed.

Mainly, it's the opposite of conservatism... the main two political parties in Canada, are the liberal and the conservative... meaning : Liberal = democrats, conservative = republicans.

Then, as things are going today around the world, we need more liberals every where in order to get PEACE!!!!
Vrythramax
I don't know...it seems liberalism is just another way of forcing your own personal opinions on others.

I'm niether a democrat, republican, nor liberal......I am a self giuded individual.

It works for me....but I can't keep love going Sad

Go figure.
Montressor
goutha wrote:
Mainly, it's the opposite of conservatism... the main two political parties in Canada, are the liberal and the conservative... meaning : Liberal = democrats, conservative = republicans.

Then, as things are going today around the world, we need more liberals every where in order to get PEACE!!!!

Definition: a liberal (in terms of governance) believes that the individual is a fundamentally rational and reasonable entity who can, and will if given the opportunity, make the best decision for themselves if they have all of the related information. That is classical liberalism. In essence the ideals of the American "Conservative" party is classical liberalism (note that I said the ideals, and not the practices). Republicans officially believe that the government unnecessarily restricts the individual and keeps the individual from achieving their full potential.
This is actually in line with the definition of conservative; a person who believes (in terms of governance) that the "status quo" should be upheld. So the republicans (in theory at least) are attempting to "conserve" the classical liberalism of the US.
American "liberals" (Democrats), on the other hand, feel that instead of the government overly restricting the people, society and the economy are overly restricting people. They officially support programs that "even" the odds; they believe in a different equality of opportunity. The more classical liberals (Republicans) believe in equality of opportunity where the individual is given the same rights, and the American liberals (Democrats) tend to feel that the government needs to intervene to make certain that everybody does have equality of opportunity. Such programs, that the American liberals are more likely to support, are public education, welfare, and increasing estate taxes. The disadvantaged (minorities and the poor), they believe, are not given the same opportunities as those who have money/connections, and seek to level the playing field to some degree to give everybody equality of opportunity.
The term "conservative", actually does not apply to a specific type of governance like "liberal" (classical liberalism), but was only first a belief in response to liberalism. The liberals of the time (Paine, Wordsworth, Wollstonecraft etc) were so "revolutionary" in their beliefs, that people who felt that such "extreme" steps were not in the best interest of society, and were determined to conserve the current system, or make the change a lot slower (Burke is one of the best examples of the time). So when you state that
goutha wrote:
Mainly, it's the opposite of conservatism...
you aren't necessarily correct, yes a conservative may be opposed to liberalism, but a conservative could also be determined to conserve the status quo of liberalism.
So when {name here} states:
{name here} wrote:
In simplest terms a liberal is someone who believes the government should directly help the people. A conservative believes that we should help the people indirectly through helping business.
he or she is right when talking about American conservatism and American liberalism.

acimitarmoon wrote:
I'm constantly accused (lol) of being a liberal. Unfortunately for your opinion, I don't want to force anyone to change their opinions.
An opinion that is commonly accused of being liberal. That belief is actually called post modernism, which is basically the belief that you can believe what you want, and I will believe in what I want. Essentially it is based on a belief that their is no absolute and universal truth, but whatever is true for me, may not be true for you.
Jayfarer
Liberalism is NOT immorality. It's just that many morals are determined by tradition, which can sometimes be outdated or obsolete. Liberalism has different values and morals - not a complete lack of them.

Liberalism also has different meanings - don't use the dictionary. You are probably referring to American Liberalism, which is really just a set of left wing-leaning beliefs. To understand what it means, you need to understand some politics, you can't really just look it up in the dictionary. Same with the word Conservative.

Just know that in America, Liberal beliefs are usually the pro-people, pro-minority, bigger government types.
Vrythramax
I really think I should stay out of this one.....personally I think the whole topic could lead to trouble. But so far users have been nice so the topics remains open.....I hope the entire mood of the topic doesn't turn nasty.
goutha
Vrythramax wrote:
I really think I should stay out of this one.....personally I think the whole topic could lead to trouble. But so far users have been nice so the topics remains open.....I hope the entire mood of the topic doesn't turn nasty.

I'm ok with you... it's a very old topic... one of the first topics sent on frihost Smile

It survived almost 2 years without turning nasty... I hope that it will continue... People are nice on this forum Smile

The discussion is open!
coolclay
Basically there are several types of meanings for "liberal" and they all depend on what type of liberal you are refering too. There is the definition of the word "liberal" and then there is also the political meaning of liberal. The actual meaning of the word, is what was originally posted it means free thinking and all that jazz. Being politically liberal however started as that but as time went on the democratic party took advantage of it, and started basically telling them what to support and believe.