FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

children do not have as much fun as they used to

lrcandy
Do you agree that children do not have as much fun as they used to ?I was born in 1988,and i used to have a lot of interesting games to play in my childhood.But nowadays,all of the children are fond at computer and TV ,no one would play games with friends,go out to contact with the nature.
pll
I agree. I was born in 1991 and I see a lot of young kids (5-10 years old) playing in the front of their computer all day long. When I was that age I was always outside playing with my friends. We we're always happy! Now they don't care.
It's really sad to see that.
KronikSindrome
whatever...I got my first compuetr in 1992.
and thank bob, because una cards suck and
hide n go seek is for lamerz...hahaha....

seriously though......good observation kiddos....

but still, consider yourselves luckky....

if you were born back in the day you would be
churning butter and milking cows...the current era
is an entertaining one, you might as well play your
X-box, while listening to your ipod, talking on your
cell phone, and be happy with it!

Twisted Evil Wink Very Happy
Nameless
You know ... still being a child, and having spent a large amount of childhood in front of a computer, I can fairly say that I have had a considerable amount of fun as a result. Things like 'go out to contact with nature' actually mean very little and are highly subjective, plus the fun value of which is likely clouded by nostalgia. You can't really compare something like that anyway, since nobody can say that they have fully experienced childhood in different generations.
AftershockVibe
1988?? 1991???
You guys aren't old enough for nostalgia yet! Razz

I'm not convinced that games are less fun than being outdoors to begin with... surely if that was the case then the kids would be doing the thing that was more fun??

Besides... have video games really replaced that outdoor stuff? From the early 90s??? (I could see the argument from the early 50s perhaps). At that time there was still the Super Nintendo, the MegaDrive etc not to mention that the TV was still just as there as it is now.

Kids still play football in the street the last time I looked.
hunnyhiteshseth
well this difference would always be there....

the persons who were older than us when we were kids, they also used to say the same thing.

(I am 1987 born, i.e. approximately of your age)

This thing can go on and on and on.
JBotAlan
I don't think I'm really old enough to know...I've been a nerd since I was about 3 years old--old enough to know my letters. I remember old DOS games that used the PC speaker...and how much fun they were. That's my form of nostalgia. 486 computers and diskettes. Oh yeah, and the giant old Macs the school used to own--the ones with 2 5 1/4 (?) " disk drives, one for the program disk and one for the save disk. Those were the most amazing keyboards...I wish my laptop's keys made that satisfying "CLICK" when I pressed them...nowadays keyboards just sorta "mush"...

Proof that I'm a nerd...I actually stashed away 2 of those old-style IBM click-key keyboards...

JBot
Afaceinthematrix
Yeah, I agree. When I was a kid, video games and television were for the night time only. We would get home from school, do our homework as fast as possible, and then we would go outside and ride bikes, skateboards, play basketball, baseball, etc. We would go on adventures and get hurt. We had so much fun, and everyone was healthy because we were all so active. Then when it got dark, our parents would come out and tell us to come inside and then we would watch television and play video games. But now, it's completely different. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone outside in my neighborhood. It's all dead and depressing because no one ever goes outside, except to go to their cars.
Davidgr1200
It's a difficult question to answer as different people have different ideas of fun. When I was young (1960s) I had most fun playing football with some friends in a park and also with reading books. I didn't regard TV as "fun" (still don't). However now I'm too old to play football I see playing computer games as fun. I think the generation who grew up when TV was really popular but before computer games appeared is the one which didn't have fun.
HalfBloodPrince
*sigh*

We tell our children they don't have enough fun. They will tell their children that. Their children will tell their children that. And their children will tell their children that, and so on and so forth... Rolling Eyes
endless
i used to plasy outside when i was 6- 9 , but since then i always behidn the pc, and it is fun.

i have like 1000 online friends lol
Helios
I agree that kids shouldn't spend time in front of the computer. It really limits their social skill development, and may create unwanted psychological issues, like dependence on the computer maybe?

Nevertheless, if they didn't see the computer as a fun thing to spend time with, they would be playing with other kids just like we did when we were their age.

Anyway, IMO it's wrong to say that they don't have fun. They just don't have the same sort of fun we used to have Wink
Still, my opinion regarding kids and computers remains the same. You won't see my kids in front of the screen until they'll need it for more serious matters than playing games or similar...
nilsmo
Using computers are probably negative in many cases for people's happiness - but it makes us richer, and that's what capitalism wants.
a.Bird
I disagree that kids are having less fun in this decade than they did 15 to 20 years ago, let alone because of a boost in the popularity of computers. I think that if any child has the drive to do something fun, they will do it, regardless of what it is; they are innately thirsty for pleasure.

I think ultimately more people, including children, have access to computers today than 10 years ago so it's easy to bridge a correlation between computers and almost anything else quantifiable. Perhaps kids are having less fun these days because computers are more popular than fly fishing, or maybe it's because computers give them access to certain information that paves the road for moralistic degradation. Perhaps kids have less fun these days regardless of the popularity of computers because they are learning about the devastating realities which surround them, such as severe levels global warming, a terrifying war that their country is involved in, etc. Or just maybe, the term 'fun' is not quantifiable at all. A lot of things have changed in the course of a generation. Wink
standready
I don't know if kids are having fun or not. I do know that I don't see them running around outside that much anymore.
endless
Helios wrote:
I agree that kids shouldn't spend time in front of the computer. It really limits their social skill development, and may create unwanted psychological issues, like dependence on the computer maybe?

Nevertheless, if they didn't see the computer as a fun thing to spend time with, they would be playing with other kids just like we did when we were their age.

Anyway, IMO it's wrong to say that they don't have fun. They just don't have the same sort of fun we used to have Wink
Still, my opinion regarding kids and computers remains the same. You won't see my kids in front of the screen until they'll need it for more serious matters than playing games or similar...

sicla skills, i don't have them. im inside al day and im as white as a milkbottle Razz
and yes im always happy ^^

it's jkust that old people didn't grow up with the pc, so they dont know what sort of fun is is and they ssay that this is no fun, but it is fun, cuz'fun is fun. hey that's funny Very Happy
SpellcasterDX
I think you mean kids aren't as active as they used to be. :p

I can't really comment on this other than back in the old days kids were all outside exercising and being healthy, and nowadays most kids are indoors playing videogames. Sad but true.
Zombie
SpellcasterDX wrote:
I think you mean kids aren't as active as they used to be. :p

Much more accurate... kids have tons of fun nowadays. But, that fun isn't always healthy for them. If you ask any kid if he'd rather play on the seesaw outside or mash buttons on his playstation, the answer is obvious. I don't think the problem lies in the use of electronics, but the time that is taken away from physical activities by them is a cause for concern. All I can say is you should monitor your children's TV/Computer time and try to set good examples. Haha, here I am trying to sound like an adult. Who am I kidding?
hlavco
My father always tells me about the crazy stuff he and his friends did when they were kids. It sounds like a ton of fun. Problem is, a lot of that stuff is illegal now. Mostly because it was so dangerous. He and his friends were always breaking bones and getting hurt.

Nowadays you can't get away with doing crazy things like building go-karts out of your neighbors' garbage or damming up a creek to make an ice-skating pond in everybody's backyards. Sure, you can go out and play sports, but that gets boring after awhile. There isn't as much adventure as there was back in the day, so kids now go to video games for that.
ehecatl
My baby is 4 months right now and I'm sure whatever is being complained about now (computers, etc) will be far out of date and something new to complain about will take it's place by the time he's 10. lol.
Bilkers
Hard one to judge. Youngsters certainly don't go out as much as they used to. There's different things to occupy the minds now. PC's, Consoles etc.

I saw on the news the other day that the "average person" is better off than they used to be, with regards to their lifestyle. I can just remember my parents getting their first colour television. There was three TV channels. The music system was a wooden cabinet with a record player and a radio. I remember getting my first Sony Walkman (for cassettes) and how pricey it was. Nowadays these things are very easily taken for granted.

Our entertainment as kids was made by going out. Many kids make their fun by other means now.
riv_
I don't know - I think kids certainly have a lot less freedom than they used to.
When I was a kid, we played outside. And we ran around the neighbourhood with other kids, and we came home when our moms called (out of sheer dread, mind you, of what they'd do to us if we didn't answer right away)
Now it's different. You have to have an adult supervising 24/7 (and you have to check their references) - which means you have to make a playdate. So kids can't play outside as much as they used to.
So there's not as much freedom.
But then, there's not as many concussions either.
And my son spends a lot more time in the house with me, and I go out with him, and there are benefits. He does have opportunities that I didn't have. He is learning to read at 3 years old. He paints, glues, bakes almost every day...

So I guess I agree that it's not the same, and that makes me a little sad. But it's not necessarily worse, it's just different.
bloodrider
It's truth that nowadays our kids are much more controled, we have less kids so I think it's normal that adults are overcarefull with them, and also because we want them to have a better life than us.
Someone said something similar before, for example my grandfather always says "The old days were better..." but for me it's inconceivable what he says, it's obvious that we have much better life conditions nowadays.
So I think all of us see "our old days" with longing, our kids simply have fun in other ways.
Although I think there should be a compromise between in & out time, it worries me that our children loose contact with real people and with nature, they shouldn't pass 24h between 4 walls...
Nameless
Helios wrote:

But what if kids spent all their time outside? It might limit their computer skill development, a vital part of modern technology, and may create unwanted psychological issues like dependence on trees?

(Pop quiz: In twenty years time, which will be more likely to be owned by any given person: A tree, or a computer? Hmm ...)
Vladalf
I kind of spent time in front of the computer playing games since I was 4 but it all helped me understand how the game development industry evolves because i'm planning to become a game developer myself. So I'm gonna make games to keep your children in front of the computer. *Malefic Laugh Twisted Evil * I'm proud to be a Geek.
watersoul
I think a lot of children (certainly where I live) don't have as much natural "adventure" fun as I did when I was a child, because their parents are too scared to let them out of their sight.
My Son has just turned 10 and I've taught him as much as I can about some of the dangers in the world so he can explore his own boundaries when out calling a friend or something. Things like the shady streets to not venture into, and how to use his best weapon if someone ever tried to take him - his mouth, to shout and bite!

He knows to call me on his cell-phone if he's going somewhere different than agreed before he left me - which also makes him feel safer as he knows I know where to start looking - and overall he has more freedom than most other kids in his class.
This causes some "discussions" with other parents in the playground, who wrap their children up in cotton wool, denying them their freedom fearing abductions and attacks. My position with them is that my Son has knowledge, skills, and confidence gained through these experiences, and will be in a better position to know what to do if the worst ever happened than his classmates. He's certainly far more mature and streetwise than his friends are (and from what he tells me, happier).

The madness of society here in the UK now is this total fear that there are bands of child snatchers roaming the streets stealing kids by the truck load! Our media is partly to blame for this, and the drones they've brainwashed.

Check these figures out and put some perspective on it all:

Successful Abductions by strangers on children in the UK (2002/3) amounted to 68 - which was only 9% of total child abduction crime.
(http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/r225.pdf)

Compare that with:

Total number of children aged under 16 in the UK - around 11 million
(http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=949)

The vast majority of horrible things done to kids is by relatives, family friends, and other people who know the victim in some way.

I love the fact that when my boy is tired of a computer screen (or me!), he feels free to chase his own tree climbing adventures in the park etc on his own, and relaxed enough to know what to look for, what to avoid, and how to react.
That to me helps make a carefree happy childhood chasing his own real adventures - the type I had - and so far it seems to be working for him.

Very Happy

...sorry for the really long post folks, but we've all gotta rant sometimes!
Josso
Possibly, I think they are probably having the same ammount of fun but in different ways. Your views on those different ways really just comes down to opinion.

I was born in 1991, I remember in primary school there was one other kid in the school that had a computer at home along with myself. Show's you how much has changed really.
biljap
Children have fun, only in different way. When I was younger my friends and I didn’t have computers. We were playing all the time outside with a lot of other children from the neighborhood. Now kids are doing the same, I see them all the time. And when they play computer games they also have fun… Now, how good is for them to sit for hours and watch at the screen I don’t know…
Devil186
pll wrote:
I agree. I was born in 1991 and I see a lot of young kids (5-10 years old) playing in the front of their computer all day long. When I was that age I was always outside playing with my friends. We we're always happy! Now they don't care.

Yep Sad Sad But True - I was born in the same year and for my entire childhood i was either outside of camping or doing somthing with new friends that I met at school or outside of school... Times change..And people now adays are getting really lazy and don't do much with there kids anymore Sad
titansmlb102
I was born in 92', in New Jersey. I didn't have a big yard, but then we moved to Florida, where its technically summer year-round. I always played outside, especially in the woods behind my house. Then in 1st grade, I moved to PA, with a bigger yard. I still play outside sometimes, and swim and play airsoft with my friends.
BPrice
We are in a computer generation so kids are staying in and playing on the xbox or playstation and there are having a lot of fun in there childhood as that is the way they have ther fun because times change and if you whent back 30 years kids are outside playing alot more because that is how they had fun.

In short the times have changed but the amount of fun that the kids have stays the same altho they may not be as healthy.
skygaia
I agree with you..
Actually, in my country, most children have no time to play with their friends. I'm from korea.. most parents want their children to be great. so they push their children to study hard even though they are just 3 or 4 years old. I was told that so many children take various lesson before kindergarten.
I could understand it. because just 30~ 40 years ago, south korea was one of the poorest countries in the world. so many parents believe that high education might make young children change their future..... but.............. it's not good for children that they have to study all day long in childhood.
friuser
What?! Kids have way much more fun now than they ever did a decade ago. They aren't as active for sure but there's definately more to do. Way too much overstimulation and even less physical actitivty. If I was only 10 years younger but than knowing me, I'll just waste it.
ehecatl
I play this game, Guild wars, full of strategy and such. I play with this guy that lives in Australia... His 6 year old boy plays with me too, and VERY well I might add, he's been playing since he was 4, and he still can't fully read yet! His dad plays with him and reads the words for him, but you know what? That doesn't stop him from leaving my team in the middle of a "quest" or "mission" to go run outside to play instead. lol. And trust me, he's done it to me plenty! lol.
danruddick
Ha! I'm loving the nostalgia here...

I was born in 1987 and found myself complaining to the bus driver about the price of a ticket to work going up by 20p. "Back in my day..."
zjosie729
I was born in 1993 and I had a lot of fun when I was little. My sister was born in 2005 and I think she has a lot of fun too.
apple
I was born in 79 and life for me was much different than my son. we had a tv and radio (most times) and that was it for entertainment. therefore we read a lot more and spent more time playing monopoly and scrabble.

it is safe to say that today kids are more technically knowledgeable than practically knowledgeable. at least a decade ago you had to read to get info, now my son googles everything. technology is not bad but i question the way it sorta replaces everything else.

kids don't get involved in much sporting activities and stuff now they prefer to sit in front the pc or get down with the xbox.

when my parents were kids....things were different than when their parents were kids

as with every generation things change and people change to adapt to it. (i think)

as for fun....fun is redefined with every new generation as 'fun' things continue to evelve.
heartbeat
We cant forget that we are animals and to have a good evolution we need to get animal stimulation! like hidding, digging, running, climbing, fetching, playing with other animals and bugs, with dirt and water etc.. I have children and i am trying to give them more than what I had when their age, not by flooding them with toys and technology but by traveling, playing with them, making them laugh, stimulate curiosity and discovery, singing, dancing etc. these things are fundamental to a correct human developing, so the kids can experience all the dimensions of the human condition.
If children get overflooded with technology, then we face a big change of wathing them grow apatical, lazy and very automatized. LET THEM FLY!
jcvincent75
When I was 5-10 I was playing with my friends outside. We played hide and seek and any out door games. But today, you'll see kids from 5-10 years old sitting in front of the computers playing computer games all day.

Yes playing computer games is fun but the fun of playing outside getting yourself sweaty and panting because you run all day with your friends is a different kind of fun. I always think that the way we play before was in a higher level of fun than what the kids are experiencing right now.

Cheers
PatTheGreat42
You're right man. Back in the day, kids would wake up, go to textile factories for 13 hours a day, head home, do more chores, and then sleep for five hours until they did it again. Whoo-hoo. Bring back child labor!
loonix
These days I think kids just have a different kind of 'fun' so the answer probably lies in our defination of the word fun. However in todays society children (and mine are no exception) tend to have more electronic, indoor forms of entertainment. Some people may view this negatively but I don't see any harm so long as kids have a porportion of active social time also. However I have happy memories of running around the streets and subsequent 'adventures' with my mates back in my childhood Wink
Sphaerenkern
I'm sure people who say their childhood was much more fun are just remembering the good times. And don't start with the nature stuff... The "fun" thing is doing something with friends, no matter if it's in front of a console or in the nature. Or is running around in some forest alone a lot of fun? Very Happy
Jaan
I think you can have fun anywhere you are; it is really individual.
Kids just have fun in different ways now. I got my first computer at 10 , back in 2002, GTA3, viruses, reformatting, runescape... it was fun, and i learned a lot.
psycosquirrel
lrcandy wrote:
Do you agree that children do not have as much fun as they used to ?I was born in 1988,and i used to have a lot of interesting games to play in my childhood.But nowadays,all of the children are fond at computer and TV ,no one would play games with friends,go out to contact with the nature.

I agree with you. My little brother is only 3 years younger than I, and he grew up playing no sports. He simply sits inside and plays World of Warcraft all day. When I was in high school, I played at least 1 sport at a time, was in tons of clubs, and always was outside playing with friends. Now, everyone just sits inside and chats through the internet. It's really sad... He lacks social skills, physical ability and dexterity, and has no real will to live or do something with his life...
william
I'm glad to see others agreeing with me. It's a sad truth. When I was younger, I did a lot of stuff. I spent time with my family, played with QUALITY toys (you don't see those anymore, just some rip-offs based on movies or TV shows), rode my bike around the neighborhood, watched some great cartoons (unlike today where there's nothing good to watch), and so much more. You would occasionally see me playing some decent Nintendo video games and just messing around with the computer, but that was rare. And all the stuff I've just talked about was before I was 4. After that, what I did increased even more.

I don't know, maybe the definition of "fun" is different now. But let me say this. Every toy store I go to, the dominant toys are video games. Heck, I see more 5 year olds at video game stores than toy stores. And the games they buy either aren't worth playing, or something they shouldn't be playing.
Sphaerenkern
william wrote:
played with QUALITY toys (you don't see those anymore, just some rip-offs based on movies or TV shows)

william wrote:

watched some great cartoons (unlike today where there's nothing good to watch)

That's very location dependant, at least I still notice "quality toys" and great cartoons.
You seem like a bunch of grandpas talking about the good ol' times, really. It's not about what's available but what the kids actually get. And that's again dependant what the parents give to them... Wink
Of course there are enough families where the child is placed in front of the TV so the parents don't have to care about them (because the child won't get away from the TV), but there are also families which do a lot together. It depends quite much on your personal point of view, and when you have a brother who's WoW infected, you have a more negative POV, that's for sure Very Happy
sondosia
I was born in 1991 and grew up in Israel, and I can argue that it's probably only in AMERICA that kids have no fun anymore. When I grew up we had no computer (even though most kids there do now), and it's a different lifestyle entirely. The weather is warm year round and kids use their rooms and houses mostly for sleeping, and sometimes eating. Other than that, they're outside on the streets with other kids, and as they get older they can ride buses to get anywhere they want and do things together. After I moved to America, I started spending more and more time alone in my room, because there wasn't anywhere to go or anything to do. If I wasn't lucky enough to have neighbors my age...that was the end of it.
Crinoid
I incidentally found the book of Sebastian de Grazia Of Time, Work, and Leisure. It expands the discussed topic back to the times centuries ago, when the common lands were existing, free to go there and play or hang out. Now the choice is reduced even more: mostly to monitor as a window in the word, and alternative reality as a more interesting alternative to the real life.

Should say, that I also found this as the only economical and viable alternative, available at my social standing. BTW, I belong to the previous generation, then the original poster, still have the same choices (or lack of them).

Another aspect of this topic, is that there shouldn't be compulsion to play, or play with others (especially in aggressive company). This the one version of spending free time. We even not taking in consideration the possibility of leisure - time free from any purposeful activity at all. Or free from displeasurable reality: persistent people, forcing themselves on the others, loud talk, laugh, music or bark, that is heard a block away, disshaping your own life, as you would like it to be, if there was a choice. Lack of interesting thing to do and possibilities to do them, and the choice for a spending free time not always should be activity, fairly speaking.

If kids - and not only them - had better things to do, possibility and place to do it, they would do that, given a choice. But for now, in reality restrains, each chooses what would be better for them.
Futile
It is true that things have changed over the past few decades. But there is one thing that hasn’t; kids will always have fun no matter what. I don’t think that the issue is whether they are having fun with video games or being outside. As someone already stated it is the amount of time they spend playing video games and nothing else. Everything needs to be regulated to some degree. Parents need to be more involved. But more involved does not mean more protective or should I say over protective. It is true that in these “modern” times you have to watch and supervise your child when they are outside for fear of abduction, molestation or hundreds of other crimes that sick individuals commit against children. I am speaking of letting them be children. I learned to ride a bike, skateboard and roller skate without a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads or shin guards. I don’t think that my child needs to look like a storm trooper from the Clone Wars in order to have fun. Next thing you know we can just wrap them in bubble wrap so that they bounce right back up. I took my girls to the park the other day and my oldest decided to climb a tree. One of the other parents that were there yelled, “That little girl is climbing that tree. She may fall”. I said, “I see her. She is fine.” Which got me the ever intelligent response of “What if…?” I cut her off. “What if we get home and she slips in the shower. What if she trips over the playground boundary log and hits her head. What if…! “What if” What?” No response to this just silence and an incredulous look. Bottom line is kids will have fun whatever avenue they choose. I feel that as a parent it is my job to make sure that they keep their minds open to other options.
william
Sphaerenkern wrote:
william wrote:
played with QUALITY toys (you don't see those anymore, just some rip-offs based on movies or TV shows)

william wrote:

watched some great cartoons (unlike today where there's nothing good to watch)

That's very location dependant, at least I still notice "quality toys" and great cartoons.
You seem like a bunch of grandpas talking about the good ol' times, really. It's not about what's available but what the kids actually get. And that's again dependant what the parents give to them... Wink
Of course there are enough families where the child is placed in front of the TV so the parents don't have to care about them (because the child won't get away from the TV), but there are also families which do a lot together. It depends quite much on your personal point of view, and when you have a brother who's WoW infected, you have a more negative POV, that's for sure Very Happy

Yeah, let's just say I'm one of the younger people around here. Wink But I am kind of a retro fan, fwiw. And I admit to being a gamer.

I agree that it does depend on location. But nonetheless, I feel that there is a lot less variety now than 10 years ago (when talking about toys). It seems to be all video games. I guess most children are used to this stuff, hence that's what they play and consider fun. Although, you are right when you say that they buy whatever parents get them, but most children I've seen try to nag their parents into getting something after seeing commercials. Oh well, I guess that's what they consider fun.

My personal point of view comes from going through toy stores and seeing less variety at ripoff prices really...and most of the kids concentrated around video games. There's nothing really wrong with gaming, it's just not something your life should revolve around.

Oh, and by the way, on a side not, what would you consider "great cartoons" nowadays? I still watch some...and there are only a couple left that aren't reruns. Just curious, because like I said, most of the good ones are just reruns. Maybe I'm not looking at the right channels.
jsarnold
I was born in the early 70s, and my sister was born in the mid-70s. Both of us agree that childhood today is very different to those halcyon days three decades back.

But although it is easy to look back and regret that childhood today is not the same as it was then, taking another three decades off the diary transports us back to the roaring forties, and childhood was again, very different.

It is easy for every generation to look back with rose-tinted spectacles at the era of their own childhood, and look with pity at the youth of today, as they miss out on the vastly superior glories of days gone by.

There has almost certainly never been any generation that hasn't done so, and for two very good reasons.

Firstly, childhood is a time of innocence, of enjoyment, of ignorance. Because of this, we are often blissfully unaware of the trials and tribulations of the wider world. As we grow up, our perceptions of the world are tainted by the harsh reality of war, strife, corruption, famine, politics, finance and gloom. No wonder our childhood days look so rosy in comparison. To what are we comparing today's childhood? Our own childish, and horribly distorted vision of a world which never actually existed.

Secondly, because we have become comfortable with the world we have grown up in. We feel we have a pretty good understanding of how it all works, although change and development is shrugged off as necessary evils. We look at the vastly changed world our children are growing up in, and resent the difference. Yet it is this difference which we see, not them. They are often quite happy with their version of our world, and wouldn't want to change it.

In reality, the world is no more dangerous than it was in our day. We had the Cold War, the echoes of the World War, and many other dark matters we were not concerned with. Today, our children are less likely to be worried about a nuclear strike, or a global war. There are not more pedophiles on the streets today than before - we simply gear more about the horrible cases through the media which makes more money from celebrating evil than good.

Children today are not suffering any more than we did. They have been born into a world quite differenmt from the one we imagine we grew up in. And they imagine it to be just as fine.
guissmo
Well, of course, definition of "fun" depends on each generation. Smile
teaminfamous
i agree... stronlgy Wink
nigam
yes. nowadays, most of the kids won't play outside and have fun like what we used to do. they would prefer to play in the computers or PSP. It is very different from our time because we used to play hide and seek, japanese garter, takyan, buwan - buwan and a lot more of filipino games.uhh...i missed those days reminiscing those times when I was young.
friuser
IT's not really about the generation but how kids are and how their environment is. My cousin plays internet games which are so stupid like the fantasy sports lineup thing which I have no idea what that is about. Yahoo pool?! and that's pretty much all I see them doing when they are online but my cousin also in basketball league and play sports.

Fun is good if you either getting healthy from it (physical sports) or mentally from it like games that challenge you er mentally. That's why wii is so popular in my opinion but whenever I see people playing spiderman or those hack and slash games I just die a little inside. It's the most nimble minded task to do which is why people are so satisfied but you gotta realize that you realy gain nothing from it and all you losing is your time.

In short it depends but you realy have to wonder where the parents are and what they are teaching their children instead of buying them whatever that makes them happy so they spend less time with you mentality.
raine dragon
I think it's more a question of balance. Children need intellectual stimulation ad well as imaginative play and physical activity. I was born in 1986, and I as my father is a computer programmer, we had a PC, which I was using before I could read.

However, I also spent a lot of time out of doors running and playing, chasing bugs and building forts and making mud pies. I also spent time inside playing board games, doing arts and crafts and reading. I was never really.... attached to the computer or the TV. TV was something I watched before mommy and daddy woke up since I couldn't go outside or make too much noise in the morning. The computer was something I played with when it was rainy or too hot to play out-side.

I think I turned out to be a reasonably well balanced young person. My little brothers on the other hand spend/spent much more time on the computer and video games. I've noticed it is harder to get them to sleep at night, and they seem more likely to complain of boredom when they are told by my mother that they must find something else to do.
shikukustars
born '93, and my life is interesting i.e. i spent my weekend...erm...well, i have fun at school doing...algerbra? well, ok maybe ur right but i dont think my life is to boring unless u dont make the effort to get out and do something

p.s. i do do other stuff on my weekends, though mainly scout related...yeah, im scout and proud!
Arty
It depends on what you would call "fun".

But yeah, more kids are depressed than before, but that's just because of social circumstances >.<
ccube921
Nowadays kids there might be more kids in front of the computer doing nothing but then again, (no offense meant) there were always those kids that would sit at the side and not play (As far as I know at least) so now those kids who sat on the side can be occupied with computers tv etc. and technology also helps the kids who would play around outside do just that. There are rarely kids who excel in sports that play computer or watch tv all day.
stel4e
uuuu I really think the children in the past were doing more activities than now. All I see now is kids sitting in front of the computer playing some strategy game or chatting. I was born in 1983 and back in the days when I was child me and my friends were dying to play outside. We were out like until eleven o'clock and we talk about 5 grade kids here..... Of couse this was in the summer.. and I lived in a small town where everybody knows everybody... and there's no worries staying late at night.... We used to play hide and seek and many many more games. Nowadays I don't see anybody playing this type of games anymore...I really miss those days and sometimes feel like I wanna go back in the past for a little while.... Smile
Kaseas
pll wrote:

Same here.
deanhills
I think it is all in the eye of the beholder. I see plenty of kids having a whale of a time. Some enjoy their computers, others like to play and by the squeals of laughter and giggles, I take it that they are really happy and enjoying themselves. Think it is all relative to the person who looks at the kids. Kids have a very natural way of finding happy moments with friends, or on their own. They can be entertained with the minimum of worldly possessions.
PatTheGreat42
That's good. We don't believe in fun here in AMERICA. There's only hard work, and we only work hard.

Or something relevant.
Mrs Lycos
When i was 10 (and before) i was always outside playing with my friends. To hide and found and other games, it wasent that i didnt have a computer, but it was more fun to play with friends i dont know.
But i have to admit that i, after that age i started using the computer. Rolling Eyes

Ah! i was worn in 94'
Melacos
I'm from 84, and granted, I have fond memories of running around outside, getting dirty and shooting up my friends in some 'cowboys and indians'... Though at the same time, I'm pretty aware that what is mostly happening when thinking back, is this extreme romantization that takes you to some special place or feeling. And if I think more closely, I remember that already from the early 90's, I was - as is the case today - placed in front of a commodore, having the time of my life.
Arty
I miss those days.... Smile
ankitdatashn
Yes I agree to you brother to some extent. Because of the work load, the professional life coming early, the fast pace of life, this sheen of enjoying chilhood and adolescent life is getting lost. We all want to do so many things but life seems to be wave and take us all away from our freedom. What seems to me is that we are just like robots unable to pave our ways but to follow the paths