FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Need help with file permissions for WordPress & plugins

furtasacra
Two problems:

Problem 1: I want to install WP-Cache because it would make my site faster, and (more importantly) reduce the load on the server.

Quote:
This plugin generates static html files from your dynamic WordPress blog. After a html file is generated your webserver will serve that file instead of processing the comparatively heavier and more expensive WordPress PHP scripts.

Wouldn't that be wonderful!? However, I got stopped cold at the first step of the instructions.

Quote:
1. You must have mod mime, mod rewrite and fancy permalinks enabled. PHP safe mode should be disabled.

I have fancy permalinks already enabled, and I think I have mod rewrite enabled, because I have to have that for fancy permalinks, but I'm afraid I don't know what the rest of that means!

Problem 2: I cannot upload images directly from my computer to WordPress, and get the following error message:

Quote:
Unable to create directory /home/furtasac/domains/deadgirlsdontdance.com/public_html/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/12. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

I can't get this to work unless I change the permission on the folder to 777, and that simply WILL NOT DO. I would be reasonably comfortable with 755, but that doesn't work. Is there something else I need to do be able to upload graphics without creating a huge security hole?

Help!
darvit
furtasacra wrote:

Quote:
1. You must have mod mime, mod rewrite and fancy permalinks enabled. PHP safe mode should be disabled.

I have fancy permalinks already enabled, and I think I have mod rewrite enabled, because I have to have that for fancy permalinks, but I'm afraid I don't know what the rest of that means!

If it would help in any way, mod_mime and mod_rewrite are all enabled, and PHP safe mode is disabled on server 2. Razz I can't help with the technicalities on WP-Cache since I never bothered installing it because lots of people have some issues about it.

furtasacra wrote:

Problem 2: I cannot upload images directly from my computer to WordPress, and get the following error message:

Quote:
Unable to create directory /home/furtasac/domains/deadgirlsdontdance.com/public_html/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/12. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

I can't get this to work unless I change the permission on the folder to 777, and that simply WILL NOT DO. I would be reasonably comfortable with 755, but that doesn't work. Is there something else I need to do be able to upload graphics without creating a huge security hole?

Help!

Ah, the uploads directory under wp-content is owned by apache so 755 won't work. You should look for a way to change the directory owner [look up "chown" or something similar]. Otherwise, just 777 it for a split second until you finish uploading. Then quickly restore it to a more secure permission.
furtasacra
Thanks, Darvit! That's what I needed to know before proceeding further with the installation on WP-cache. I shall post updates in this thread, whether I get it to work right or not.

As far as uploading pictures directly to WP, I just give up. If I have to screw around with chmod every time, I may as well just upload them with FileZilla and be done with it, but I'm lazy, and want to just insert pictures from the "write post" screen. I found a Flickr plugin that I can use for that. I just hope it works with the Lightbox plugin I also want to use.

Happy Birthday to me, indeed. Confused
furtasacra
Well, here we go again.

Quote:
Error: wp-content directory (/home/furtasac/domains/deadgirlsdontdance.com/public_html/wordpress/wp-content) is not writable by the Web server.
Check its permissions.
Cannot continue... fix previous problems and retry.

How do I make a file writable by the server without making it writable by every Tom, Dick and Harry? This is making me NUTS, and I have run into this problem with several plugins now.

Somebody please explain this permissions business to me! I know that there are owner, group, and public permissions. Simple enough. But who IS the owner? Who's in the group? Which category does the server fall under?
darvit
Okay, I just did this with my uploads directory:

Go to DirectAdmin, and go to your file manager. Look for your uploads directory.
Under the Action column, you should see:
Code:

Protect
Rename | Copy
Reset Ownership | Recursively

Click on "Reset Ownership".

You should now be the owner of the uploads directory. Now try chmoding your directory to 755.
[This, I haven't tried yet. Laughing ]

Does it work now? Question

If you want to check your owners and all that, I suggest looking at your files on DirectAdmin.
furtasacra
No dice. The "reset ownership" option isn't there. Besides, under both owner and group, it shows my ID, for everything. I guess what I need is to add the server to my user group, so I can change permissions accordingly if I need a folder or file to be writable by the server, but how do I do that?

I was tempted to just say the heck with it, but I'm being obstinate because I'm trying to learn as much about this stuff as I can, so I won't be pulling my hair out if I ever switch to paid hosting Smile