FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is Runescape Addicting?

fpwebs
I have a friend that can absolutely not stop playing the game and has spent countless hours wasting his time to "level-up". It's all the guy talks about, Runescape this, Runescape that and gets quite annoying. Is Runescape really addicting? I would really like to know if there is a cure for the game to get him off of it so that we can do our jobs that we have. I think the game is completely repulsive and very annoying. Why waste time on the game when you can be doing other things? I admit, video games are really nice to have and can help with stress at times but getting that involved that it takes over your life and skipping school to go home and play it is really unhealthy. He's a good kid, i just don't want to see him addicted to something like that, so if there is any way to prevent him from playing (like another game or something) please reply to this topic! Thanks!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Vladalf
Well I don't know, maybe a talk with his parents? But he would probably get mad at you after.
I had 4 friends like your. They were all talking to me about the same game at the same time. I was playing the game too but I don't get addicted and I talked to them but they kept asking and talking just to bug me. I had allot of luck when the national exams came and they had to start learning and they kind of ignored the game and forgot about it.
Fire Boar
Ah, a little pet peeve of mine. Well, two actually.

Runescape is not "addicting". As for whether or not it is addictive, I don't know, having never been inspired enough to even consider playing it as a hobby.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=define%3A+addicting
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=define%3A+addictive

My other peeve, is with Runescape itself. I don't like it - I've seen people playing it and it honestly looks like the most boring waste of time since Maple Story. "Grind", anyone? In these MMORPGs, the basic premise is almost always grinding to the next level. Then what do you get? The ability to kill slightly tougher monsters, and an even higher experience target to reach the next level! Boring.

The big difference between this and games like - say - Diablo 2, is that it takes forever to get to the next level. You can't just go "okay, I'm going to try and build a character like this and see how it goes". You have to spend three months getting the "next level", with hardly any reward.
ozziejim
i would recommend buying your friend world of warcraft, star wars galaxies or another MMORPG.
It would cure his runescape addiction in a second Smile

Although i cannot see how runescape is so addictive, playing the game feels like a chore, lol Maybe it could be the community/ or clan he has become part of. I dont agree with power-playing in MMORPG's, it is bad for you in so many ways.

As ive heard it said many times, stay away from online games, or youll be kissing your social life goodbye!
SMS_Mcfarland
Well if you'd like want to stop him from getting addicted to the game you should just tell him your thinks its bad for him to be playing so much. But, you could always just accidently brake his computer... but that wouldn't solve much haha. Well I'd suggest an easy game that doesnt take up too much time. World of Warcraft would be a poor decision cause well that game takes over and controls lives haha and would actually be worse than the game hes playing. I'd probably suggest a game like maple story since its casual and easy and its a little hard to get too caught up in it. You could also try counterstrike! Its a fun game and its easy to play and it'd probably help since everyones the same and its not all that competative. Very Happy well anyway hope everything works out for the best i hope i might have helped.
djcaution
I think it sucks I dont see how people like that game so much at all..
Blu_Spykz
Yes. Runescape is highly addictive... Jagex have said it, and have suggested you take periodic breaks from the game.

I play it (waiting for Stargate: Worlds to come out) and I hate it (though I have a total level of 1780... and I don't play it to often.

It is by far the most addictive game I have played... and I don't even like it. It sucks. Immensely.
GeoS
I despise that game. If that is the term we have to use, as I always thought game implied challenge, entertainment. 'A game is a series of interesting decisions', quoted by none less than Sid Meier. Go play one of his games.

However, in the case of the dire antichrist that is Jagex's corruption, mutilition of the very concept of computer interactivity, the definition must be 'A game is a series of extremely depressing decisions. Those of weaker mentality may be prone to addiction'.

I'm off to print stickers of that and slap it on the forehead of every vegetable idiotic enough to play the java-game-which-must-not-be-named as a health warning.

Ehehehe, sorry, I enjoyed that little rave. Addicting, yes, for the wrong reasons, doubly so.

GeoS
HalfBloodPrince
I was greatly addicted to it once, and so were my friends, and I well tell you this.

THEY WILL GROW OUT OF IT.

Runescape is the kind of game where someone plays a bit, gets addicted, than BOOM, stops.

Thats what happened to me. One day, at a very high level (and a paid member), I was like "ok, this is enough" and BOOM. End of story.

Trust me.
Maddo
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
I was greatly addicted to it once, and so were my friends, and I well tell you this.

THEY WILL GROW OUT OF IT.

Runescape is the kind of game where someone plays a bit, gets addicted, than BOOM, stops.

Thats what happened to me. One day, at a very high level (and a paid member), I was like "ok, this is enough" and BOOM. End of story.

Trust me.

Same here, only I was a member for 3 months or something, liked it very much. And then it bored me, just out of nothing. And I've quit for 2 years now. Razz
_AVG_
What is so special about Runescape that makes it so addicting?
spykE
I can't see how people like this game, it's just a dumb ugly looking web browsing mmorpg game from what I know.
Yjaxygames
spykE wrote:
I can't see how people like this game, it's just a dumb ugly looking web browsing mmorpg game from what I know.

You're 100% right, but it can be addicting. I know it sounds weird, but if you really like that game (yes, there are people with that much brain damage), then it would be possible. There are many of goals you can have in Runescape, making it addictive.
_AVG_
What exactly is the basic storyline of Runescape?

I mean, frankly, I am quite a fan of Role Playing Games and seeing how popular it is, I don't mind giving it a shot.

Yes. You can call me a "person with brain damage". Laughing
endless
i played runescape oncew, and sometimes i get bored and think, lets do runescape. and after 5 mins playing im bored again
Devil186
Ya Runescape is pritty Addicting... Its quite fun and you allways have diffrent skills to train on Etc.
I was hooked at the first few hours of play but kept my self at a limit on how much I went on.

Your friend just needs self-control and a limit to how much he go's on..Talk to him about it Razz
jtayl153
Is runescape addicting?

NO

Some guy on the radio called in the other day to ask if it was O.K to play runescape for between 10 and19 hours a day.

REALLY!!

NO JOKE

Mate i would buy your friend erm

WOW or CoH or a Bible (the only book with no page numbers I think)

Or buy him a cricket bat a tennis racket

Or depending on how old this person is............ (scientists will tell you that 85% of men over the age of 22 who are heavily obsessed with a computer game havn't been laid) ...........take him to a club!!

Twisted Evil Razz Rolling Eyes Exclamation
endless
you can also just ask if you can go on his computer, and block runescape Smile hopefully hje isn't a computer nerd. (i did that with my little cousin, he was like why the **** i can't play rs Laughing )
jtayl153
endless wrote:
you can also just ask if you can go on his computer, and block runescape Smile hopefully hje isn't a computer nerd. (i did that with my little cousin, he was like why the **** i can't play rs Laughing )

\that'd do the job
good call
carlokes
Hi there,

I can understand why people play Runescape, since its an easygoing MMORPG and since its playable in a web browser it can be played in anyplace that has an internet connection, but honestly i dont think that it is worthy investing time in a MMORPG like runescape. The game sucks hard lol Smile

Stay Cool
misterXY
i just lose track of time on any games so yes it is lol Laughing
jtayl153
Me and my friend used to play runescape

I got board after about an hour

I prefer a game that actually has a plot

And i'd rather not spend 6 hours + to level up

The day after i did my previous post on this topic

the friend that i used to play runescape with called me up and said

"hey Jake I'm level 80 smithing. Do you want full addi? I'll give it to you if you give me $5"

I said
"1. what the hell is addi

2. I don't play, you see i have mentally matured more than you"

This guy also happens to be one of the most hated guys at my highschool

He follows people around like a sheep

BAAAA

I'm not suggesting that anyone who plays runescape is a mentally retarded, Mindless Zombie

I'm merely saying that this is one possible out come.!!

Exclamation Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes
dominators
Take a look at this website www.nickyee.com/daedalus/ , check the archives . This website is about the physcology of mmorpgs , I suggest you take a look . Runescape is not addictive , I must argue against everybody here . Rephrase your question"Is runescape an escape from reaily?" This is what runescape really is ,not addictive . Compare runescape to alcohol , they are almost exactly the same. People are not addicted to alcohol , they are using it to escape from problems.
hamza1122
Lol! Actually it is...sorta. I used to play runescape when i was younger but eventually quit...- took ages to level up and stuff- my bro however, continued to play and was kind of obsessed. He would ask my friends to make him a member and sneak up at night so he can take the laptop and play runescape (wireless internet). he eventually got over it though, after like a year Llol! Very Happy
Seiji
MMO's get addictive if you have an competitive streak. Runescape is as easily addictive as easily it is to quit. I didn't invest much time in it, and I won't be starting back.
warriorpoets
I've never found Runescape to be addictive... but I tend to prefer "real" MMO's like WoW, WAR, LotRO, etc.
Diablosblizz
Fire Boar wrote:
The big difference between this and games like - say - Diablo 2, is that it takes forever to get to the next level. You can't just go "okay, I'm going to try and build a character like this and see how it goes". You have to spend three months getting the "next level", with hardly any reward.

You don't know what your talking about. 3 months to get to the next level? Heck you can beat the whole game in maybe an hour? You rush like crazy, and while that's not the true game it's very good for PVP games.

Yes, I am aware that this is a old thread but I just had to say something.
NubCakeNL
I played RuneScape when i was like 10-12 years old, and i liked it back then.
Now i totally hate this game!
{name here}
Yes. Runescape is addicting at first, but soon you realize that you're just constantly 'grinding', and that there just doesn't seem to be that much purpose in what you're doing. After that it becomes increasingly boring, and after that, you just plain give up, especially after you realize there are bigger and more in-depth games out there.
xaogo
omg, this game is truely addicting. especially when you're a little kid. i played it back in the days when you can attack anyone anywhere and that was soo much fun. in their attempts to even out the game, it's much less fun and just pure annoying now. this game is terrible in its current state.
joostvane
Ofcourse its addictive. Every good MMO is addictve, its just the way you handle the addiction. Thats the art of an MMO! :p
Formiller53
I actually was quite addicted to this game a few months ago. I was what you'd call "Rich". I had 100million gold pieces or whatever it was called, all made from "Staking/Pking". Jagex, aka Fagex, Ruined their game and took Staking and PKING out of their game to try to stop Real World Trading. They failed when they added Bounty Hunter.

Yes it's addicting, No it's not fun.

I recommend giving him WoW.
ddukki
First of all, trying to pry a gamer away from a game by getting him addicted to another game is not the brightest idea.

Secondly, have you ever introduced him to another hobby like biking, or playing music?

Usually, there's a lot of social contacts within games that you can't really get anywhere else. If he's not grossly addicted to the game (i.e. gets anxious when he's not playing; ignores calls of nature like eating / restroom) then he should be fine. As long as his gaming isn't interfering with his schoolwork, actual work, whatever, it's not a serious problem.
hamza1122
I was really into it once, but I wouldn't say obessed. Alot of ppl in my bro's school were crazily obsessed. Even selling runescape accounts to each other. Laughing Very sad.
catclaws24
I was once actually addicted my dad relized when my grades started slipping so to get me away from the computer he shut down my computer so i couldn't play i was very angry with him at first but when i got my computer back i relized that the game was stupid i only go on now and then to talk to my friends since its the only game they will play i sugest if your friend or family member is attached to this game makehim/her stop playing for i'd say....2-3weeks and get them to see the world around them, sugest they go to a friends or go for a walk if its nice out or even watch a movie with the family? if its long enough he/she will relize that it is just a game and get back to reality or like me still play a little but definantly not all day long. I would defenantly do this if he/she dosn't eat unless told to (no junk food dosnt count), if he/she dosnt seem to have any friend except the ones online, if they are on about 24 hours a day, and if they have bad grades. by the way it might not only be runescape it could plain simply be a computer addiction which many teens have now aday which is very sad. my eyes have been opened and so can theirs with your help because they cant get away from the computer without guidance and support!
Denvis
Online games are like drugs. Ever seen those youtube videos of game addicts? World of warcraft is a good example. I have many friends that play it and they talk about it non-stop. The only way I believe to "cure" the addiction is to set limits and then gradually decrease the limit. For example 3 hours a day then slowly 2 hours 1 hour and eventually the person will get detached to it and give up. That’s how I actually did it or you can tell their parents to take away the computer or something.
Diablosblizz
Anybody that's addicted to a game doesn't know what to do with their life. A lot of people trash on WoW because of peoples addiction. How is it the games fault? If somebody has nothing better to do with their time to play games then how the hell could somebody blame the game.

It's just ticks me off sometimes, people are always complaining that others are addicted. If you cared so much, do something about it.

Fire Boar wrote:

If you're talking about Diablo 2 taking three montsh to "level" that's a bit weird. I can be in the Hell difficulty at level 1. Of course that's wrecking the game, but the games so old I've been playing it for too long.

Diablo 3 needs to come out, now...
Denvis
I agree with you so much. It's not the game it's the person who plays it
tw34kfr34k
Ive played it for 6 years,maxed out combat and got several other 99 skills.
so yeah its addicting.
But i quit when they started making many changes like the new bank system
i lost about half of my value so that pissed me off pretty much.
Zombie
I think by repeating something enough times, you become somewhat addicted to it. That's the case with runescape for me. It's kinda hard to kick an addiction like that, and I've been playing for 8 years.
prem
Hell no, nerdy game.
I got bored straight away
love_her_freida_pinto
Finally, someone thinks the way I do!This wasted a lot of time of my life. Almost two seasons of time will never return because of the time that I wasted on this...garbage. It wasted a lot of my energy as well. It wasn't even all that fun, it was just something that I felt I had to do for some reason. I can't stand what it did. It took me almost two seasons to stop playing too. And I was far too old to be playing a kids game like that. What you should do to stop the people in your school from playing it, is to use the same arguments that I used above. It should be more than effective in getting them to stop.
starlight4x
Ok runescape is quite addicting. But if you think about it, i is quite repitive. All you do i train. THe motivion is the face that you want to compeat with others. You want to kill them which means getting a higher level, and thats going to take many hours it get. I was addicted to the game and found it hand to quit but if you think about it, it is just a waste of time. In the game you have a goal. Most people's goal is getting 99. Do you know how long it takesto get a 99! over 1 week to 2 month of 24/7 playing! But if you think about. WHATS THE POINT!If will only take 5 seconds to write 99 strength on a paper. SO quite before you get addicted, If you are already addicted please quit but if you can't get your friend to chance your password so you will never log on again.
Good Luck Quiting!
Very Happy Very Happy
weableandbob
It held me tightly for a few years, but I'm free now Very Happy
desonium
weableandbob wrote:
It held me tightly for a few years, but I'm free now Very Happy

same counts for me Cool

But on the point of this topic, Your friend will overgrow the game and stop playing it when he gets older. Im pretty sure that will happen.
amperx
for a browser based game i'd say its not addicting at all, its just not worth the hours leveling up to a certain point, only to be faced to level up again to for another couple of hours and so, with no really worth reward after Sad

tell your friend to find another game, there are lots out there
guth75
Runescape was very addicting to me, but like everything, I got over it eventually. Almost all online games are like this.
QrafTee
It was never addicting for me. But if you come from a "paid MMORPG" like Ragnarok Online, World of Warcraft, or Ultima Online, Runescape isn't the least bit impressive.
localtoast
Seems that Runescape is obviously addicting to not just children/teenagers and infact adults, as Runescape is MMORPG which has high rates of addiction. I can't find the website which showed current addiction rates and health risks of games. It was interesting to see, World Of Warcraft being the top of the discussion usually about addiction. Im sure if you google addicting health risks it'll bound to come up with useful information for your friend.
iloverunescape
Omfggg this is the greatest game i have ever played i go home and jack off to my partyhats#~!$~!%!%#$@!^$#@^# I like men.
wombatrpgs
Best troll account ever.
zatro
I played it for a few days. I can see how it could be addicting, but the graphics are not that good. It's a good time killer game though!
wombatrpgs
From a Java programmer's perspective, they're pretty damn great.