FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Escalators

Afaceinthematrix
Am I the only person annoyed by escalators? I work at a store with one and they annoy me so much! They move up slowly, so I always just walk right up them to save a little time. But most people don't. They walk right up to them and when they get on them they just stop and stand still on them. Are people that lazy? I get annoyed by these people because that just shows pure laziness and there's really no reason why most people shouldn't be able to walk up them instead of making everyone behind them wait. Maybe I'm just being unreasonable. That's why I decided to post here and see if anyone else is annoyed by them. So is anyone else annoyed by them or is it just me?
erlendhg
Actually, I have also thought I might have been the only one getting annoyed of such, and have never dared to talk about it.
Yes, it is frustrating, isn't it, especially when people in front are standing still and blocking your way if you're in a hurry.
truespeed
Maybe they should be like motorways,with a slow lane and a fast lane.
ThornsOfSorrow
I don't think it's unreasonable for people to stand on an escalator without walking up or down as it moves. Although I'm not one of these people, I don't mind simply standing behind someone while I wait to get to my destination. While you look at people who just stand there as being lazy, those people may look at you (or me) as being impatient. Although I could be wrong, it seems that the escalator was created because of laziness. In one of my local malls, there's a staircase with an escalator on either side (one going up and another going down). Although they are all in the same area, I've never seen anyone walk up or down the stairs (except for myself).

In other words, I agree with you that there are a lot of lazy people in this world and that escalators do indeed move too slowly. However, I've never been annoyed by the people who just stand on them and simply wait to get to the top. Instead I'm bothered by the people who get to the top and stand there until I almost bump into them, but that doesn't happen very often. Anyway, when you're annoyed by escalators just remember that your other choice (the elevator) is often slower. Personally, I think we should've just stuck with stairs with the occasional elevator for the physically handicapped and for tall buildings. There's no point in having elevators or escalators in a two-story mall (except of course for the above-mentioned handicapped people).
SpellcasterDX
Yes, they were probably created out of laziness to walk up/down normal stairs. But no I don't mind having to wait for it to go up. But I admit they are rather slow. If they would speed them up just a bit, it's be better. But meh it's just something that's become a regular part of our lives. I suppose it helps if you're carrying a bunch of shopping bags/boxes like in cartoons/movies. haha.
windrei
personally i don't hate esculators. But i seldom use them. As you said, i think it's faster to walk, no matter upstairs or downstairs. Here, most people walk even they are using the esculators. i just hate those that are very very short. i don't understand why they are built.... However, sometimes when i am carrying heavy things, esculators are really useful, especially upstairs... @@'''
riv_
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Earlier this week, my toddler was stressed, so we took him to the mall and rode the escalator up and down for over half an hour! You would have hated us!!!!!!!!
(Calmed him down, though Very Happy )
Nameless
I have, at times, found myself annoyed by people standing still on slow moving escalators, but I wouldn't say that I hated or even disapproved of the escalators for it ... I just become rather irritated at the way (almost) EVERYBODY, (almost) EVERYWHERE moves at the same ridiculously slow pace. Fine, if people want to travel at slow speeds while talking with their friends, they should be able to do so. But for those of us who just prefer to get from point A to B at a reasonable pace, some kind of two-lane system needs to be observed. If you're moving stick to the right, and if you're ambling stick to the left and get the heck out of my way.

Where ever I'm going, if I see stairs (as opposed to escalators, or indeed, elevators) I tend to always use them, on the basis there's about a 95% chance I'll get up or down them faster. Rolling Eyes
achowles
Most of the time they're pointless too. Like when they only replace one flight of stairs. Now on the underground, where they go that much further, fair enough. After all there are a lot of elderly and other people with walking difficulties who wouldn't be able to use it. But ones that replace a single flight of stairs are just annoying and pointless.
ftv_flung
I normally walk up/down escalator, especially on LU (London Underground). They have signs saying "stand on the right and walk on the left (of the escalator)" and it really bugs me when some idiot decides to stand on the left, then loads of people cram up behind, and sometimes don't even say anything.

They're usually tourists, who don't understand a word of English and can't actually see the problem :S ?!?!!

GRRRRR
william
Well, I prefer escalators over elevators. I can't stand how slow some elevaters are in some buildings, and even slower in parking lots. I usually walk or run up escalators, only time is when it's really crowded. I normally don't get annoyed with people just standing on the escalator, but I've seen that some people want to be "safe" and not run up a moving escalator. Plus, if escalators were faster, some people may have difficultly getting on. So, basically I don't mind escaltors on less crowded days, but crowded days, it's stairs for me. Nobody really uses them and I can get up and down a lot faster.
KronikSindrome
I think they should just install some of those flat escalator
thingies they have at teh air ports. Those thinsg go hella fast
and you don't even have to move your feet, you just stand ---
and zip right along. Then if you choose to walk you get there
even more super inhumanly faster..ish.

'cause yeah, escalators are dumb, you hurry
to walk up them and end up doing it just barely
faster and with less effort than you would exert
just walking up regular stairs....

now elivaters....that's the shit. Wink
asim
HI all....

well i like being on escalaltors.... its good.... and better then elevators.. you can walk and when tired jus stand on them.... well blaming a lifeless thing is totally useless... you should think before posting...
qscomputing
truespeed wrote:

They are. Convention dictates that if you want to stand on the escalator, you stand at one side of the escalator, so that those wanting to walk can walk past you. The general rule (at least in the UK; other countries may be different) is stand on the right, walk on the left. You can remember this because 'stand' and 'right' both have 5 letters, and 'walk' and 'left' both have 4 letters.

Speeding up escalators would not be a good idea, as people need to be able to get on and off the escalator without falling over. Most escalators only have a short flat bit at the bottom and top, so you need to be fairly accurate with where you step.
icecool
as a kid i never knew escalators
as a young man i still used the stairs because they were too slow
then came a time where i did use them but walked up slowly
then came a time where i did use them and just stand there thinking: why hurry? so i "save" a few seconds - what do i use them for? "wastig" them again waiting on the next till point???
now i live in a country wityh NO escalators at all - wow. do i miss them? not a bit.

cheers
JBotAlan
qscomputing wrote:
truespeed wrote:

They are. Convention dictates that if you want to stand on the escalator, you stand at one side of the escalator, so that those wanting to walk can walk past you. The general rule (at least in the UK; other countries may be different) is stand on the right, walk on the left. You can remember this because 'stand' and 'right' both have 5 letters, and 'walk' and 'left' both have 4 letters.

We seem to have no such convention here in the US. People always, *always* stop moving when they get on the escalator. However, I don't know how wide they are in the UK, but here they are only really wide enough for one person. Also, on some of the escalators they say on a warning sign to stay on the step you get on. So people do.

Then again, I've seen a huge crowd of teens make an escalator shut down due to overload while piling on and running up it...so maybe they aren't built as robustly here...

JBot
tony
haha; it is a funny post!!

for me, i think escalators are a good piece of society. for they help us to get from one floor to another!

why is it bad? i like it and its better than an elevator because an elevator can only hold a few people at a time. escalator though?!! many people at the same time!

so i like escalators. sorry. :p
Davidgr1200
Reminds me of a Robert Heinlein story (The roads must roll?). He envisaged a system of horizontal escalators going at different speeds. First you got on to the slowest one. Then you could get on to the next one which was going a little faster and so on, until you reached the fastest one. To get off you would have to repeat the process but in the opposite direction. We also used to have fun at school thinking about how a walkway could be constructed which travelled at different speeds at different places along it's length (Basically it would have to get thinner to go faster). I've just done a google on variable speed escalators and see that there is even a patent:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0243572.html

Personally I use escalators if they go a long way otherwise I prefer stairs.
HalfBloodPrince
I love escalators. Almost as much as my xbox Very Happy

I can't imagine a world without escalators and elevators. Laughing
a.Bird
I never thought that escalators had anything to do with travel time. If anything, I would imagine that a mall, for instance, would attempt to prohibit such behavior as to avoid lawsuits resulting from an injury in an attempt to sprint up an escalator. I always just imagined that escalators were courteous installations for patrons who spend an extensive amount of time shopping and providing business. It's not like most escalators take you up eight feet and drop you off- they are usually pretty large. I don't go to malls to work out.
BPrice
I think what they should do is crank the speed up slightly on them so that they get you up to the same hight in the same time as it would if you where to use the stairs.

but then you have to think about the elderly or disabled people that they are designed for as they are the ones that use them because they can not use the staires and if the escalator move to fast they would not be able to get on or off it wich would then make them unsutable for ther main purpuse and just another lazy mans toy.
gtipple
I personally walk up/down escalators, but I don't get annoyed if the person in front of me is standing still. From an invention standpoint, escalators are infallible... they do not break, they merely become stairs.
nivre
i'm being annoyed when your in a hurry and all people have been standing lazily on escalators...i prefer stairs to go up and down...its more healthier too..
standready
qscomputing wrote:
truespeed wrote:

Speeding up escalators would not be a good idea, as people need to be able to get on and off the escalator without falling over. Most escalators only have a short flat bit at the bottom and top, so you need to be fairly accurate with where you step.

I wish they posted signs here in the US. They just stand anywhere or in groups. You are right about speeding up escalators when you consider the elderly or those with young ones or those who are just challenged by movement.
I always take the stairs or walk on the escalator. I like the exercise. Maybe, when I am older, I will stop and enjoy the ride!
Jaan
People are way too rushed now a days. It's almost a cliche but everyones like "I want something, and I want it now!" Always gotta have something to do, or somewhere to rush to. So I say, stand however the ****** you normally stand and if someones gotta problem, tell them "potato".
Liu
Jaan wrote:
People are way too rushed now a days. It's almost a cliche but everyones like "I want something, and I want it now!" Always gotta have something to do, or somewhere to rush to. So I say, stand however the ****** you normally stand and if someones gotta problem, tell them "potato".

I just read an article about what you said which is entirely true.

The generation nowadays is way to impatient, because usually they can get everything now and then. (I.e. information from internet)
Afaceinthematrix
Jaan wrote:

It's not that I'm in a rush; I just try to discourage laziness. If I'm already walking, why would I stop when I get to an escalator? I just continue walking.
janrunejohansen
Escalators is good for horizontal transpartion
unknownc1c
Eh, i could stand there and wait, but yeah it does get a little annoying. There are things like that at the airport near me, except they're all flat, but i always want to walk and they stand with luggage so i can't get by. There are speakers saying to stand to the side and let faster people by, but they don't really listen or care. In general i think a lot of people are lazy, just look at parking lots. Everyone tries to get the closest they can to the building and drive around a bit just to get there. I just park in the first place i find, i don't care if i walk a little farther, i'm not that lazy nor am i in that much of a hurry.

I really agree with ThornsOfSarrow. I really couldn't have put it better than that.
HamsterMan
I used to love escalators when I was a kid, running up down up down up down I did.
danruddick
"I like escalators because an escalator can never break: it can only become stairs.

You'll never see an 'Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order' sign, just 'Escalator Temporarily Stairs'. 'Sorry for the convenience'."

Mitch Hedberg
ankitdatashn
Maybe!!, Although I never gave a thought about this before now but as you have mentioned I guess people are definitely a bit lazy. I also do not walk up the escalators but there is a different reason for me, The reson is a combination of laziness and interest. Because the escalators move slowly and steadily I feel it good just to have a glance at the shop along the escalator in the meantime.

In India people specially older people feel a bit afraid while moving through the escalators, they just take up a minute or two just to keep the first step forward, this is surely a bit annoying factor. But yaah I enjoy the escalator ride, sometime feel the urge to walk in the opposite direction of moment of escalator, though I have never tried it because it would be then making a fool of myself, but I will one day when they are empty.
zjosie729
I used to love escalators! I still like them but sometimes I think it takes too long. I just enjoy the view when that happens.
Afaceinthematrix
ankitdatashn wrote:
Maybe!!, Although I never gave a thought about this before now but as you have mentioned I guess people are definitely a bit lazy. I also do not walk up the escalators but there is a different reason for me, The reson is a combination of laziness and interest. Because the escalators move slowly and steadily I feel it good just to have a glance at the shop along the escalator in the meantime.

In India people specially older people feel a bit afraid while moving through the escalators, they just take up a minute or two just to keep the first step forward, this is surely a bit annoying factor. But yaah I enjoy the escalator ride, sometime feel the urge to walk in the opposite direction of moment of escalator, though I have never tried it because it would be then making a fool of myself, but I will one day when they are empty.

I've done that. It takes a bit more effort but it's good to exercise. It just sucks when you come up to people that are going the right direction.
Drawingguy
If I have the time, it's a relaxing experience to let the elevator do my walking. However, I do understand the frustration of those in a rush, so I try not to 'occupy' the entire stair (or whatever you want to call it- escalat? Haha).

I'm always a tad apprehensive, though. What if I have a loose shoelace, or thread from my pant leg? Does the escalator monster inhale it, and devour it in a fit of mechanical wrath? Seriously, do you get stuck?
neji
ftv_flung wrote:
I normally walk up/down escalator, especially on LU (London Underground). They have signs saying "stand on the right and walk on the left (of the escalator)" and it really bugs me when some idiot decides to stand on the left, then loads of people cram up behind, and sometimes don't even say anything.

They're usually tourists, who don't understand a word of English and can't actually see the problem :S ?!?!!

GRRRRR

²nd that!

Here in Belgium (and The Netherlands and most other countries imo) most of the people go stand at the right side of the escalator when they are lazy and walk on the left side.

Ofcourse you always have those people who are camping on the left side just when you have to cath a train... Evil or Very Mad
Seiji
I'm scared to get on elevators so I prefer getting on an escalator. Anyway I always just sit in one spot because my mother always told me I could lose my foot if my shoe string was untied. I'm not sure if that is true or not but anyway I'm always careful even though my shoes strings are tied so I don't run up them like normal stairs. I occasionally walk up two stairs sometimes but I just let the escalator take me to the top. In my opinion it seems just as fast as going by elevator.
raine dragon
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Jaan wrote:

It's not that I'm in a rush; I just try to discourage laziness. If I'm already walking, why would I stop when I get to an escalator? I just continue walking.

isn't that really just the point of stairs though? Escalators are designed for people who don't want to walk up the stairs. So... why get on the escalator and not take the stairs in the first place? ^^;
HamsterMan
raine dragon wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Jaan wrote:

isn't that really just the point of stairs though? Escalators are designed for people who don't want to walk up the stairs. So... why get on the escalator and not take the stairs in the first place? ^^;

In most places I know you don't get to choose. :s
heartbeat
raine dragon wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Jaan wrote:

because you will get faster to the top if you walk while escalating Wink

i prefer stairs but if they are to much I preffer escalators.. some escalators have too steep steps and so it is hard and harsh for the body to climb them as stairs. either way the trick is to have well supported feet (right shoes, or shoe cushions[this will make you an happier person!!] ) so your back is well supported. keep your back straight while climbing and if the stairs have more than one set of steps breathe in while climbing and breathe out while in the separations between two sets Wink imagining you are being lifted by the chest Wink
heartbeat
Seiji wrote:
I'm scared to get on elevators so I prefer getting on an escalator. Anyway I always just sit in one spot because my mother always told me I could lose my foot if my shoe string was untied. I'm not sure if that is true or not but anyway I'm always careful even though my shoes strings are tied so I don't run up them like normal stairs. I occasionally walk up two stairs sometimes but I just let the escalator take me to the top. In my opinion it seems just as fast as going by elevator.

fast or slow the important is confidence, you would loose your foot! Wink my mother also told me exagerated things while young so I would really be careful and not forget what she told me Wink KISS
Afaceinthematrix
raine dragon wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Jaan wrote:

Because many places in the United States don't give you the option. Some places have both, and I always take the stairs. However, many places just have escalators.
redax
Isn't there a unwritten law saying that if you're going to stand still you stand to the right and let the people who want to run up the escalator go to the left... I always thought so atleast ^^
ainieas
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Am I the only person annoyed by escalators? I work at a store with one and they annoy me so much! They move up slowly, so I always just walk right up them to save a little time. But most people don't. They walk right up to them and when they get on them they just stop and stand still on them. Are people that lazy? I get annoyed by these people because that just shows pure laziness and there's really no reason why most people shouldn't be able to walk up them instead of making everyone behind them wait. Maybe I'm just being unreasonable. That's why I decided to post here and see if anyone else is annoyed by them. So is anyone else annoyed by them or is it just me?

I totally hear ya! I'm one of the guys who tries to run up the elevator but everyone just seems to stand still. Totally hate that! I wish just because the elevator's moving the people wouldn't stop doing the same. Rolling Eyes
bigdan
I'm 50-50 in regards to escalators.

If I don't care about getting their quickly, I'll take the escalator. If I need to get there quickly, I'll take the stairs.

Although, it's weird going down an escalator in a train station and get wind in your face. Razz
vonvincent
i do take escalators when i'm not in a hurry. But some people are very annoying that they stand on your way when your in a hurry. But mostly, i used escalators in malls(of course i'm not in a hurry in that state since i have all my time when i go shopping).
Davidgr1200
Quote:

There are several reasons for people being in a hurry. One scenario could be this:
Their underground train was late so they only have three minutes to get to the railway platform before their train goes. This train goes once every half an hour. At the other end there is a bus which goes once an hour. So if you get in their way you are effectively making them an hour late home. You could have stood at the bottom of the escalator out of the way and waited an hour instead. YOU were too rushed as well!
Guess how I thought of this scenario :)

People are way too thoughtless these days. It's almost a cliché but everyones like "I am the most important person and you will do as I say".....
I find it better to be polite and move out of the way to let the people who are in a hurry go past. That way everyone is happy.
soulery
I used to love escalators, I still like them but we don't have any around here.
Afaceinthematrix
redax wrote:
Isn't there a unwritten law saying that if you're going to stand still you stand to the right and let the people who want to run up the escalator go to the left... I always thought so atleast ^^

Most of our escalators here are very narrow (or maybe many Americans are just fat). I don't know... in some places you can do that but in many you can't.
haydxn
heh, what are the odds of that; i did a search for 'Crank' (the movie) and there's a thread about escalators... "I know exactly what they're talking about there!"... and yet, no, the only mention of the word Crank is unrelated. Shame!

If you haven't seen Crank, then the first step to your personal enrichment is to watch it. And then you'll understand my surprise.
carlospro7
i guess I am somewhat annoyed by escalators. There is a building nearby that I go through to get to class and I like going on the escalators just to chill for a bit. Going on the escalators is the main way to go through the building, and it really annoys me when one of them is closed for repairs, which happens a lot here. Must be faulty escalators
meet in rio
It doesn't really bother me. Escalators tend to be installed in places where people have luggage/bags to carry, and they're actually harder to climb than stairs (the steps are larger and the whole thing's moving -- ever whacked your shin on an escalator step?), so fair enough if people want to stand still. As someone has previously mentioned, there's a sort of escalator etiquette in the UK which pretty much deals with the problem.

Even if there weren't such a system, I can't imagine I'd be so hugely distressed. I think I can afford to lose an extra 15 seconds out of my day.
Afaceinthematrix
meet in rio wrote:
It doesn't really bother me. Escalators tend to be installed in places where people have luggage/bags to carry, and they're actually harder to climb than stairs (the steps are larger and the whole thing's moving -- ever whacked your shin on an escalator step?), so fair enough if people want to stand still. As someone has previously mentioned, there's a sort of escalator etiquette in the UK which pretty much deals with the problem.

Even if there weren't such a system, I can't imagine I'd be so hugely distressed. I think I can afford to lose an extra 15 seconds out of my day.

I don't care about losing the 15 seconds; it's the principle of the matter.... When people get on and then just decide to stop walking, I tend to view them as lazy.
skygaia
I was told that it might make serious technical problem to yeild left way on escaltors. Several years ago, in mycountry, there was a campagin for yeilding left way for busy person on escalators. So many peopole used to stand right side on escalators for busy persons. But some technicians insist it could cause serious mechenical problems to escalators. if many people stand just right side, then it could break balance of mechenical function.
So these dayas, in my country, there is no more campagin like that. but it became already habbits to people.
friuser
To the person who say they love escalators because when they break they can be stairs = WRONG. I've seen on more than one occasion where fixing them can take over a WEEK and it's very inconvenient cause they leave the opposite side working one way and the stairs are like far away. Just my situation I guess. The worst is the really narrow escalators that fit only one person with no stairs on the side like one station and you got to take the stairs further away when you are running late. Surprised there's not more commentso n the elevators as they are a huge annoyance since the stairs can usualy be restricted to emergencies and slow like in some hospitals where the close button doesn't seem to work at all.
Donutey
Escalators are fine with me, of course I don't run into them enough for anything to get annoying. On the subject of steps though, what really annoys me are those 3inch tall steps that some building have for stairs, every time its a compromise between taking two or three steps at a time, or rapidly shuffling your feet up each step and feeling like an idiot.
Sillyman
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
raine dragon wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Jaan wrote:

Because many places in the United States don't give you the option. Some places have both, and I always take the stairs. However, many places just have escalators.

I do believe that the buildings do have stairs as well in case of emergency, but they're quite out of the way and almost never used.
hofodomo01
Besides, escalators are have-fun-with-able. Not elevators, unless it involves doing black ops down the shaft...
Afaceinthematrix
Sillyman wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
raine dragon wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Jaan wrote:

I do believe that the buildings do have stairs as well in case of emergency, but they're quite out of the way and almost never used.

I'm not sure. I never see them. Where I work we have an elevator and escalators, but no stairs.
PatTheGreat42
I was at the mall once when the power went out.

I was stuck on that escalator for like four hours.
scotty
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
I was at the mall once when the power went out.

I was stuck on that escalator for like four hours.

LOL!

I always like running and jumping on the escalators that have sensors and start moving when you get to them.