FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What Mac would by with...

Da Rossa
...$ 3500? (no, not FriHs! Razz) Can be any one. Just tell me, first of all, why would you buy a Mac rather than a PC in the first place, if so, then tell me which model. iMac, Mac Pro, Macbook, MacBook Pro, Mini, etc. Doesn't need to be the most expensive, if you choose something below the 3.5k limit, tell us why and what would you do with the rest of the cash. You could also chose some kind of mac and save the rest for, for example, a monitor (apple cinema display, etc).
This topic is because I'm a noob at the Macworld. Thanks!
brokenadvice
You can get the new iMac for about 1,000; and then put the rest in a 401k. You will thank me when you are 60.
Da Rossa
Sorry but I didn't understand the 401k part (is that an expression of your region? Razz I'm Brazilian, By t he way Smile)

iMac: the 24'' one in one of the few stores that sell it costs R$ 7300, remembering that, as of today, $1 = R$ 1.80. Kinda difficult Sad

Please give me more opinions Smile
ddoonie
Well i'll recommend a mac, but which one depends on what you want to do with it... portable or desktop... heavy usage, video editing, or just word processing. I do a lot of graphics editing, and am a huge audio guy, so i will probably end up upgrading to a macbook pro. If you plan on doing mainly wordprocessing, the macbook would be more than enough. I have an ibook g4 that i have had for almost 3 years, and i can do everything i need to do with it. It may bog if i run photoshop, dreamweaver, bridge, safari, transmission, word, and a couple small apps, but to me it is to be expected...
Da Rossa
So let's say I want to do the 'daily tasks' that a former PC user would do. Then add some demanding activities like Adobe CS3 suite, heavy surfing, batch conversion processes, but nothing so professional that would demand a cluster. What would it be?
ddoonie
probably the macbook 2.2ghz version. That would be more than adequate. Upgrade your ram to as much as you can afford. i believe that macbook is around 1300. do not upgrade your ram via the apple store, look at places such as newegg.com upgrade to the max possible.
Da Rossa
ddoonie wrote:
probably the macbook 2.2ghz version. That would be more than adequate. Upgrade your ram to as much as you can afford. i believe that macbook is around 1300. do not upgrade your ram via the apple store, look at places such as newegg.com upgrade to the max possible.

The sad part are the taxes imposed to the importation to my country Sad
Nothing is less than R$ 3,500.00 in here. ($1=R$1.Cool
ddoonie
maybe take the cash you were going to spend on taxes, and take a trip outside of the country... i know seems like overkill, but you can kill two birds with one stone..
Da Rossa
I understand. But until there I have to play a lot of poker to get that cash, lol. (I dont even play). To be honest, Ive never been abroad. And there is another problem: I cant spend more than $500 in the US because of the threshold of taxes charged by the Brazilian aduana Sad

Anyway, more opinions please! Smile
brokenadvice
Well... eBay may have a good deal for you. You can buy a refurbished Mac for about $200 less than their US prices Wink Just make sure the seller offers international shipping.
ddoonie
will most likely run into duty problems...
Da Rossa
ddoonie wrote:
will most likely run into duty problems...

How's that?
ddoonie
well not problems, but still will need to pay duties/taxes when importing (at least i have to when it comes to canada), and thats what he wanted to avoid...
05ict306
Buy an old mac (i.e iMac G3) and put a bigger hard drive, more RAM e.t.c. in it and it will work just like a new iMac.
bjwok
i have a macbook pro, 15inch 2.3ghz with 3gb ram and i am stoked on it, and have been since i bought it almost a year ago.

now i am trying to convince my work to spring for a imac and get this pc junk out of my sight!
xbcd
Da Rossa wrote:
I understand. But until there I have to play a lot of poker to get that cash, lol. (I dont even play). To be honest, Ive never been abroad. And there is another problem: I cant spend more than $500 in the US because of the threshold of taxes charged by the Brazilian aduana Sad

Anyway, more opinions please! Smile

Mac mini cause it is the only one that fits in ur budget.