FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which Firefox Extentions?

Tiger
I was just wondering which Firefox extentions are the most useful/necessary? At the moment, I have the following installed:

1) All-In-One Sidebar
2) BBCode
3) Download Manager Tweak
4) Download Statusbar
5) fireFTP
6) Flags
7) FlashGot
Cool Forecastfox
9) FoxyTunes
10) Image Toolbar
11) Tabbrowser Preferences
12) SessionSaver .2

I am sure that some of them are redundant and may even clash, the download thingys for example. I would appreciate your comments/suggestions on good extentions to use. Also, which of the ones I have listed should be removed?

One feature I do miss in Firefox are the keyboard controls available in Opera, especially the previous/next page keys.
Antoine_935
session saver, google toolbar, customize google, RIP, RSS editor and some others...
Grimboy
I currently have:
1. Google suggest.
2. Google toolbar. (Barely use it use the top right searchbox instead.)
3. GlobalSpec Engineering Toolbar.
4. WGA workaround.
5. Image zoom.
That is all.
phileplanet
You forgot about adBlock (Sorry if I spelled it wrong). i think it's the best extension of all. CustomizeGoogle, Single window, and PDF downloads are also at the top of my list. (again I apologize for errors if any)
samh
This question looks totally irrelevant to me. It depends what do you need. Extensions are aimed to accomodate your browsing habits/needs. So you have to decide.
These are the ones I'm currently using:
1- Google Pagerank
2- Web developer
3- Tab Browser preferences
4- Adblock
5- Bandwidth Tester
6- Forcast Fox
7- Google Toolbar
8- Flashgot
And I'm sure other people may have different needs.
yjwong
Sometimes you need IEView to view IE-only pages.
orno
ok i hope this post doesnt count as spam, but heres my extension list (generated btw with infolister)

Code:

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050716 Firefox/1.0.6

*** Extensions (enabled: 26, disabled: 0)
Adblock 0.5.2.039
MR Tech Disable XPI Install Delay 1.2.4
Auto Copy 0.5.4
CustomizeGoogle 0.25
Download Manager Tweak 0.6.6
downTHEMall! 0.9.4
Firefox Bookmark Share 0.3.4
Forecastfox 0.8.1.3
Gcache 0.2.1
Gmail Notifier 0.5.1
gTranslate 0.2
IE View 1.2.4
Image Zoom 0.1.7.1
miniT (drag+indicator) 0.5
NoScript 1.1.1
PDF Download 0.5.1
Tab Clicking Options 0.5.2
TabScroller 0.6.2
TinyUrl Creator 1.0
SessionSaver .2 0.2.1.028
Greasemonkey 0.3.5
TabClearSearch 0.1
fireFTP 0.88.3
Live HTTP Headers 0.10
Slim Extension List 0.1
InfoLister 0.8.2+

and heres a good website to refer to for Useful Firefox Extensions

Enjoy!
Alacarde
I use Gmail Notifier, Greasemonkey, and Adblock.

(I used to have the WebDeveloper one also, but after a while I figured it was obsolete, as I didn't use it...lol)
Harrowed
Guys I hope you realise that using AdBlock while browsing Frihost Forums will get your accounts suspended/removed?

I couldn't find a way to allow them for a site/host so I had to remove them.
ulmas
samh wrote:
This question looks totally irrelevant to me. It depends what do you need. Extensions are aimed to accomodate your browsing habits/needs.

Exactly! That's why I have the following extentions:
All-In-One Sidebar (Now typing down from the extensions list in the sidebar)
Compact Menu
Edit CSS (Amazing extension, reveals cool features of Firefox!)
Gmail Delete Button (Have it for now, just to see how it tweaks Gmail)
keyconfig (Just can't surf without this great extension)
Paste and Go (Can't live without this too, after I migrated from Opera Smile
Save Image in Folder (Cool extension, makes what is says)
Super DragandGo (Required extension)

Also several tabbing extension, which I am trying now to choose best.
NeiL
i only have 2 extensions that i use

1. adblock
2. proxy switch (nice it you like to have internet privacy)
shwetanshu
i use: Tab Browser Prefernces
Gmail Notifier
Gmail Delete Button Adder
Show Image
BBCode
Customize Google
FlashGot

rest i dont remeber now, i m in cafe
statusfashions
downloaded many of them today after reading this topic.
thankyou
regards,
aakash
bigdan
I've only got FlashGot, Thumbs and ieview.
Tiger
statusfashions wrote:
downloaded many of them today after reading this topic. thankyou
regards,
aakash

I'm glad you benefited from this post! That was the whole point. Sometimes it's very difficult to choose an extension for a particular purpose, or to know which ones work well, and which ones don't (despite the star ratings and comments).

Sometimes a user will try an extension for a week, then delete it. In the meantime he's given it a star rating of 5. That's why I prefer to share lists with people, because most only list what they actually use on a day-to-day basis over a period of time.

If everyone mentions what extentions they are using, you can quickly get an idea of the most common ones in use, in an everyday environment, (which means you should probably get it too). Also, if someone is using a particular extension, it ovbiously works, so it should work for you too.
Monkeydog
I have nothing really >.>
1)Smoothwheel
2)Rite of Tounge(spell checker I use sometimes)
3)gTranslate(doesn't work >.>)
otaku
Too Many to number...:

1.)Adblock
2.)Forecastfox
3.)SessionSaver
4.)GreaseMonkey
5.)BlogThis
6.)Firesomething
7.)Google Toolbar
8.)Sage
9.)rakiaxul

There's more, I just can't think of them.
Phil
Foxy Tunes
Web Developer
CSS Edit

Just started getting into Firefox extensions.....thanx for this thread to let me know about them.

PS-- Can anyone suggest a spellchecker extension to use while posting on Forums?
corey
I have
FireFTP (nice for uploading web content and familiar interface whether I boot to Win or Lin)
Gmail notifier
WebmailCompose to use Gmail for the mailto: links, etc (you can use other webmail too
Forecastfox cos its neat
Disable Targets for Downloads so that if I download something from a link, usually, it won't do what Mozilla products do and spawn a useless extra blank window
and...
Colorzilla cos sometimes I find a neat color I'd like to put in a design or web page and its nice to know what that color really is Smile

BTW, if you all of a sudden can't open Firefox sometime, look to the installed plugins, if you've recently upgraded anything, as sometimes they can crap out the whole thing. Creating a new profile solves it temporarily (or deleting the extensions one-by-one in your Firefox prefs). Been there, so thought I'd share, cos it was a stumper for a while.[/b]
win66
I have installed

Adblock
Flashgot
BBcode
PDF Download
IE View

extensions.
modak
Greasemonkey, and another one which I don't remember (on IE @ college) which brings up a thumbnail of sites coming up in Google search
gonzo
AdBlock Plus
Add N Edit Cookies
Bookmark Backup
CookieCuller
Coralize
Customize Google
EMButtons
Fill Files Upload Form
Advanced History Manager
GreaseMonkey
ImageShack
NoScript
Objection
Platypus
Remove It Permanently
Session Saver
SmartSearch
TabMix
User Agent Switcher
boringest
nobody using mouse gestures? that's the most useful thing they imported from opera actually + the un-'close' tab button.
orno
boringest wrote:
nobody using mouse gestures? that's the most useful thing they imported from opera actually + the un-'close' tab button.

hmm wonder how i didnt come across this one earlier!
thanks for the suggestion!
corey
I tried to get used to the mouse gestures, but after the crisp action of the feature in Opera, I was spoiled. I couldn't get used to the first few revisions of this plugin, so I gave up on it. I found it to be a bit sloppy and not always do the thing you wanted it to. That made more work for me. Perhap I'm just too clumsy.
corey
I tried to get used to the mouse gestures, but after the crisp action of the feature in Opera, I was spoiled. I couldn't get used to the first few revisions of this plugin, so I gave up on it. I found it to be a bit sloppy and not always do the thing you wanted it to. That made more work for me. Perhap I'm just too clumsy.
comsci18
i use these Extension i think they so good extension.....
Tabbrowser Extension , Flashgot , MediaplayerConnectivity , ImageZoom
Tiger
corey wrote:

Strangely enough I had exactly the same problem. I have a regsitered copy of Opera, and I love the mouse gestures, but they never seemed as smooth in Firefox. Now that I've been reminded of them though, I'll try them out again (probably on the weekend).

That particular extension is just about the only one I wasn't comfortable with, because Opera spoilt me.
gamo
Phil wrote:
Foxy Tunes
Web Developer
CSS Edit

Just started getting into Firefox extensions.....thanx for this thread to let me know about them.

PS-- Can anyone suggest a spellchecker extension to use while posting on Forums?

This is work to make Firefox faster extremely, let try it:

1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.
EmoDreamer
1) All-In-One Sidebar: I don't use it and don't think it's necessary

2) BBCode : Every GOOD forum has that implemented, so it's useless too I think

3) Download Manager Tweak: I only use Flashgot with an internal downloader so don't need this.

4) Download Statusbar : see 3)

5) fireFTP: I don;t need ftp internal while I use Ace3FTP and it works fine

6) Flags: don;t know it so don;t need it:P

7) FlashGot : this is THE THING you just gotta have....I really like it

Cool Forecastfox : I don't need a forecaster. sun or rain, I'll have to go through it anyway....and forecasters mostly don;t work for the Netherlands so it's worthless too. I don;t see why I would want to know what temperature it is in the US at the moment;)

9) FoxyTunes: I used it once or twice but my iTunes loads in toolbar mode anyway so I don;t need two controlsets.

10) Image Toolbar: don't know it....so don;t need it;)

11) Tabbrowser Preferences : this is one of the best extensions I know, cause it enhances the functionality of tabbed browsing even more....

12) SessionSaver .2: don;t know, don;t care...

The other extensions I use are:
1) Bandwidth tester: sometimes my internet fails to connect and this little thingy gets me online again
2) IE view.....while many people still don't program in Firefox mode, they get good-looking screwed up IE sites, and like I said: screwed up Firefox sites....I hope I won;t need this in the future....I hope people will start to see that you have to PROGRAM instead of just putting code behind code behind code...
3) Dicitonary Search: I'm a dutch guy and I need English very badly....I think it's a whole lot greater language....that's why i try to do every poem, story and site in english...and I need translation for that.
4) PDF download: to choose whether to open in internal or external
5) MediaPlayerConnectivity: I don;t know why I have this cause I really hate it:P I like to play videos WITHIN my browser instead of opening every single damn clip in a mediaplayer...well...I'll throw it away one day... I think...
6) Gmail Notifier....Comes in handy when shut down my normal gmail-notifier:)
7) MSP: for the sites that really want to open up media files in mediaplayers I downloaded this so they can;t.....every file will be played in the side-bar whenever I want to:P I like to rule ABOVE my computer instead of the thing ruling me:)

that's it....long list...cool stuff:)
admans
Too Many to number...:

1.)Adblock
2.)Forecastfox
3.)SessionSaver
4.)GreaseMonkey
5.)BlogThis
6.)Firesomething
7.)Google Toolbar
8.)Sage
9.)rakiaxul