FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What are the truth about Herbal Supplements?

the-guide
After created my website directory for months, it's found that many websites sent to the directory are about selling health supplements. I don't know how to check which one really work or it do nothing but harm than good, so reject all of them is the only way I've done although I think it's not the best way.

To whom who have experienced in using "Herbal Supplements" especially if you bought it online, can you share it with me please.

Vitamins, amino acids and minerals are some examples of health supplements that help you get good health and may help improve your immune system (as their advertisement). However one crucial word about herbal supplements is CAUTION!.

Are herbal supplements the miracle cure we have all been looking for? Do herbal supplements really work?

There are so many products out in the market today and many companies selling health supplements online, but not all can be regulated. That means you might be buying herbal supplements that do nothing, or even worse, may do you more harm than good.

I think only a good way to proceed would be to consult your doctor and stick to well known pharmaceutical companies that have good reputations of producing high quality drugs, vitamins, and supplements.

How you think about them? Question
RubySlasher
I think herbal supplements are great if they taste good. Also, ground-up coral is the real deal.

benjmd
I would suggest two things to consider about herbal supplements:

1) What is in them and is there any evidence that they really work? Some vitamins and other natural products actually have studies that suggest a benefit to their use, however, most do not. Simply relying on tradition or anecdote ("My relative was sick, took product A, and got better" in NO way means that product A was what made the relative better nor does it mean that product A would help anyone else) is not worth your money. Also, it is important to know if the product could be harmful, too. Because herbal supplements are not as regulated by the government, they often make unsubstantiated claims to get you to buy them.

2) Are you really getting what they say is in their product? Again, because they are not all regulated by the FDA, even though you think you are getting a certain product, they may be giving you 1% product and 99% filler.
woundedhealer
Herbal supplements are effective, but they need to be taken with care. don't forget, our modern drugs are derived from them, and some are very powerful. I think the best think to do is to get a good book on herbs.

We don't really need supplements if we have have a good diet, we should be getting all the vitamins and minerals we need. If I need anything, I prefer to use the neccessary herbs rather than supplements. Supplements are far too expensive, and I can be sure of taking the right amount when I have the herb itself.

If you get a good herb book and you've got a garden, you'll find you can grow most of the herbs you need.
the-guide
Hi all,

Thanks a lot for all reply, I think some of them may be useful
however is it possible to verify (online-verification), which one is trusty?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and to all.
edzofcit
Herbal Supplements is okay to use as long as you're sure that your taking the write herbs for your needs. Some of this herbal supplements are yet to be rated by FDA so just always remember to carefully select what kind of supplement are you using to prevent health problems.
woundedhealer
the-guide wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks a lot for all reply, I think some of them may be useful
however is it possible to verify (online-verification), which one is trusty?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and to all.

It depends what you mean by trusty. If you are talking about health supplements you need to check the ingredients and percentages of each. The percentages of some supplements are so low they aren't worth the money. No matter what the manufacturers promise, they are only interested in one thing - your money. The stores own brand are normally better value for money.

It also depends on your reasons for buying. High vitamin c doses are great for fending off a virus or counteract the effects of a good night out - alcohol destroys vitamin c. While it can be beneficial to take high doses short term, it's dangerous to take long term. Echinacea is great for fending off a virus or to shorten the time you have it.

I prefer to use herbs in my diet than to have herbal supplements. While it may not always be possible to take the herbs you want as herbal drinks or in cooking there are often alternatives which can be used in this way.

Do you have a particular reason for considering taking supplements?
the-guide
Thanks a lot for your information woundedhealer, though now I'm not desire to use any supplements but, however your information very useful for me that can help me have some guideline for judge to approve or reject websites sent to my website directory.

Thanks again.
TBSC
the-guide wrote:
After created my website directory for months, it's found that many websites sent to the directory are about selling health supplements. I don't know how to check which one really work or it do nothing but harm than good, so reject all of them is the only way I've done although I think it's not the best way.

To whom who have experienced in using "Herbal Supplements" especially if you bought it online, can you share it with me please.

Vitamins, amino acids and minerals are some examples of health supplements that help you get good health and may help improve your immune system (as their advertisement). However one crucial word about herbal supplements is CAUTION!.

Are herbal supplements the miracle cure we have all been looking for? Do herbal supplements really work?

There are so many products out in the market today and many companies selling health supplements online, but not all can be regulated. That means you might be buying herbal supplements that do nothing, or even worse, may do you more harm than good.

I think only a good way to proceed would be to consult your doctor and stick to well known pharmaceutical companies that have good reputations of producing high quality drugs, vitamins, and supplements.

How you think about them? Question

Most are ok but beware of amino acids. Amino acid supplements can cause electrolyte imbalance sometimes, so they can cause side effects.
woundedhealer
the-guide wrote:
Thanks a lot for your information woundedhealer, though now I'm not desire to use any supplements but, however your information very useful for me that can help me have some guideline for judge to approve or reject websites sent to my website directory.

Thanks again.

You're welcome. This is a subject I'm really interested in.
HamsterMan
Well, I haven't heard of anyone that has died taking herbal supplements (on the other hand many many that claims it has really helped them), and tons that have died taking regular drugs, so yeah I trust them.

I'm taking alot of vitamins, and omega-3 myself, as they are essential.
I'm thinking about trying http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol next, if I could find it.