FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Teens Charged in 'Mortal Kombat' Death

HalfBloodPrince
This is just sick.

Quote:
JOHNSTOWN, Colo. (AP) — Two teens have been charged with killing the 7-year-old sister of one of them by beating her with imitations of moves from the "Mortal Kombat" video game, prosecutors said.

Lamar Roberts, 17, and Heather Trujillo, 16, were charged as adults on one count each of felony child abuse causing death, state prosecutor Robert Miller said in court documents released Wednesday and filed a day earlier.

According to a police affidavit, the teens were baby-sitting Trujillo's half-sister, Zoe Garcia, on Dec. 6 while the girl's mother was at work. Zoe lost consciousness and stopped breathing after the teens hit, kicked and body-slammed her, imitating moves used in the video game, the document said.

Trujillo and Roberts tried reviving the girl by putting her under running water and attempting CPR before they called her mother and 911, the affidavits stated. The girl died at a hospital.

An autopsy showed she had a broken wrist, more than 20 bruises, swelling of the brain, and bleeding in her neck muscles and under her spine, the affidavits said.

There were no listed phone numbers in the Weld County directory for either Roberts' mother, Linda Clark, or Trujillo's, Dana Trujillo. Sheriff's spokeswoman Margie Martinez said late Wednesday that she did not know whether either teen had an attorney. The teens were being held at the Weld County jail but were not permitted to accept phone calls, Martinez said.

Roberts said he was downstairs playing video games while the sisters wrestled upstairs, police said. But a witness quoted in the affidavit said Roberts told her he had kicked the girl.

The witness told police that Roberts said Zoe had told them to stop wrestling. According to the affidavit, when the witness asked why they didn't stop, he responded, "I don't know; I was drunk."

If convicted, the teens could be sentenced to 48 years in prison.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jAbTU304rj4oEvBU5DfM8M45LmmQD8TKV9S00
bogger
Another reason that 18+ ratings should be heeded.

Amazon wrote:
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (GameCube)

BBFC Rating: Suitable for 18 years and over Suitable for 18 years and over. Not for sale to persons under age 18. By placing an order for this product, you declare that you are 18 years of age or over.

Surely their parents should be put in prison too for neglecting their children?
I'm a gamer, so I'm going to just get out there and say that this doesn't mean gaming is ALL bad for you, it's just the over 18s ones, it's like letting your children watch "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre". i.e. stupid.
Dark-Tech
Everyone tries to pin these things on video games well, i have a few things to say
Quote:
The witness told police that Roberts said Zoe had told them to stop wrestling. According to the affidavit, when the witness asked why they didn't stop, he responded, "I don't know; I was drunk."

1. video games are not as intoxicating as hmmm alcohol perhaps

Quote:
An autopsy showed she had a broken wrist, more than 20 bruises, swelling of the brain, and bleeding in her neck muscles and under her spine, the affidavits said.

If convicted, the teens could be sentenced to 48 years in prison.

2. not to be mean but uhm anyone who is so stupid that they didn't stop when the kid started crying, wailing, and screaming, and then stopping all at once as the kid lost consciousness.... as the list of injuries would draw one to conclude, as well as being so stupid and messed up to get drunk and beat up a 7 year old girl so severely that they kill the child, deserves the 48 years,

3. for those saying that the 16 and 17 year olds are under 18..... screw the legal system, i'm under 18, but i work, i go to college and im starting my own business shortly, i may be extremely mature for my age but, all i can say is seriously what is wrong with those people they are within a year or two of being adults both of them are old enough to drive, they should have been mature enough or intelligent enough to stop,

i have to stop typing because stupid people make me want to go cry in a corner and pity the community they live in and the people who have to tolerate them
HalfBloodPrince
Hey, I love Mortal Kombat dude. I've grown up with it. But I'm not a retard and I don't do things like that.
icecool
the whole episode is very sad but it just shows the way society is moving as a whole.
a human life doesn't count much anymore these days. how can we expect these 2 obviously immature kids to understand what they are doing if all they see on tv is death and destruction. games, movies and more so reality has dead and maimed bodies all over the place and all we do is cite statistics - and blame either society or early childhood experiences if anything ever comes to trial.

on a world wide scale it's even worse. we go around as nations and try to either take each other over, wipe each othewr out or teach each other the lesson that our thinking and way of life is the correct one.

we carry on like that and soon nobody will be left to watch all that horror being broadcast on tv - or indeed being released as real life so-called games.

cheers
Dark-Tech
icecool wrote:
the whole episode is very sad but it just shows the way society is moving as a whole.
a human life doesn't count much anymore these days. how can we expect these 2 obviously immature kids to understand what they are doing if all they see on tv is death and destruction. games, movies and more so reality has dead and maimed bodies all over the place and all we do is cite statistics - and blame either society or early childhood experiences if anything ever comes to trial.

on a world wide scale it's even worse. we go around as nations and try to either take each other over, wipe each othewr out or teach each other the lesson that our thinking and way of life is the correct one.

we carry on like that and soon nobody will be left to watch all that horror being broadcast on tv - or indeed being released as real life so-called games.

cheers

its an easy solve you tell them not to do something because its bad, if they don't listen you beat them.... (pause as i said something controversial and i will follow with an explanation wich will probably be controversial) they will begin to understand it that way... If a person were to hit someone nothing happens, the person who was hit gets hurt. If a person hits someone and the other person hits them back well then through eye for an eye logic the people begin to understand that what they are doing is wrong and if they don't well then they don't deserve to exist... a being that cannot understand something as simple as eye for an eye is not human, because a human is something that learns and adapts to its surrounding through its thoughts, and if they cannot perceive eye for an eye their thoughts are essentially worthless.

I feel sorry for the kid, but i can't shed any pity on the two teenagers. People are supposed to be rational beings and if they aren't rational enough to stop beating up a child who is obviously injured and in pain.... then society shouldn't have to deal with them
HDirtwater
I can't wait to see them try those moves on Tony and Rocco in the state pen. Wink

It's pretty sickening that this would happen, and it certainly sounds like alcohol played a part. Pretty much every time I read a story about young adults (16-25ish) doing something horrible, alcohol is always in there somewhere. They deserve everything they have coming to them.
LumberJack
Wow. Parents are idiots, the kids are even more stupid. Stupid people shouldn't make babies.
ganesh
Why is there so much violence in the world?

Why do we need a 18+ rating at all?

What entertainment / value do people get out of watching one guy butcher another in the most gruesome manner? Is the viewer supposed to learn and adopt anything from it?

Don't the people who create such games / films have any social responsibility? Or, do they just do it because it sells? On the other hand, if the market is such, does it imply that there is a violent streak waiting to surface in every human being? Shouldn't the world do something so that people can devote time to being good to each other and helping each other out?
Dark-Tech
ganesh wrote:
Shouldn't the world do something so that people can devote time to being good to each other and helping each other out?

Nope, that sorta thing isn't economical ...... /cry
Afaceinthematrix
bogger wrote:

Amazon wrote:
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (GameCube)

BBFC Rating: Suitable for 18 years and over Suitable for 18 years and over. Not for sale to persons under age 18. By placing an order for this product, you declare that you are 18 years of age or over.

Surely their parents should be put in prison too for neglecting their children?
I'm a gamer, so I'm going to just get out there and say that this doesn't mean gaming is ALL bad for you, it's just the over 18s ones, it's like letting your children watch "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre". i.e. stupid.

In the United States, we use the ESRB rating system instead of the BBFC rating system. That game received the rating "M" in the ESRB rating system, and you can buy rated M games (and rated R movies) at 17 in the United States. So given that one of them was 17, and the article says that they're from Johnstown, Colorado, they could legally have purchased the game.
Kelvin
It's sad that people can actually immitate these voilent acts from watching and playing games. There have been so many incidents of injuries and in a few cases death... sad that it had to end up this way. For what they did, 48 years jail term should be well deserved. I don't think they would dare to try that act in prison but could probably fall victim instead to the inmates. Either way.... punishment is required. Spare the rod... "kill" the child...
akshar
huh I remember two of my friends beating me up after watching WWF
bogger
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
bogger wrote:
etc.

In the United States, we use the ESRB rating system instead of the BBFC rating system. That game received the rating "M" in the ESRB rating system, and you can buy rated M games (and rated R movies) at 17 in the United States. So given that one of them was 17, and the article says that they're from Johnstown, Colorado, they could legally have purchased the game.

But the Girl, heather, Was only 16, and yet she must have known the moves.

I only noticed now that one of them was a girl, and that she was attacking her own sister... Could there possibly have been other motives to this? I think that the damage may have been intentional, with the "practicing mortal kombat moves" just an excuse?