FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anonymous Posting

Magicman
I don't know if it can be easily done but I think that having an anonymous posting system at least for forums such as Relationships would allow more people to post honestly. The username could be known to the Mods and Admins in order to deal with abuse but the name could be unavailable to the average user. The points could be attributed to the user but the post should not show up on the users post list.

I think this will allow people to make posts that they don't want to be attributed to them but still can be reported if it is bad.

I don't know if this is even possible but I think it could be a good idea.
tidruG
I don't know how good an idea that is. We'd be giving free rein to members to post whatever they wanted under the cloak of anonymity. This could result in flaming, spamming, or trolling.
rvec
The nick you choose here already keeps you anonymous. Nobody here (except for some users on irc maybe) knows who I really am, how I look like or where I live.

And what nick should these users have? It can't be like guest users (choose a nick yourself) because then there would be the possibility to use two different nicks in one discussion. Also one nick for all would give the same problem and the other possibility would be one nick per user which would just give each user one extra nick.

Each would give the problem that you'll never know if a user is the same user as the topicstarter or just someone posing as him. You'll also never be able to report that because you can't even have a clue. Mods and admins would have to read every topic in these forums just to make sure these things don't happen.
ftv_flung
Another forum uses this already, and it's quite successful in their "Personal Support" and "Sex and Relationships" board Wink

Users can post with the account Anonymous - but Mods can see who it really is if they cause trouble with it.

Just something to consider really.
garionw
what if we had to pay for it?

Quote:
The nick you choose here already keeps you anonymous. Nobody here (except for some users on irc maybe) knows who I really am, how I look like or where I live.

But people know us by our name. For instance, I might find it hard to date. I'd like to get some advice from other people but not people I know*.

If I posted it here, people might form an opinion of me because they it's a private post. If I paid 50 Frih$ and went anonymous people would think no differently of me, and I could get the answer I needed.

* That was only an example
Magicman
The last two posters get my point exactly. I don't know if I'd like to have to pay for it but at least it gives more use to $Frih and makes sure it the feature isn't abused.
rvec
ok I just saw the other forum and I have to admit you need an anonymous account to say most of those things. I doubt people will put stuff like that on frihost, but it's worth a try.
But if you are going to post someting with an anonymous account you have to read some rules first. Something like "Don't use 2 or more nicks in one discussion."
garionw
Magicman wrote:
The last two posters get my point exactly. I don't know if I'd like to have to pay for it but at least it gives more use to $Frih and makes sure it the feature isn't abused.

When I say pay, I mean with Frih$ (you've got 500 of them, so you can make 10 anonymous posts)
Hammy
I dont know about you guys, but i've never been itching to ask people on here about where my life went wrong. Lets not forget this is a 'Free Web Host' ...

Yeh, sure we'll give you advice if you got a problem at home. But if it's something as serious that you would wish to remain annonymous when putting it forward, dont you think you should be seeking professional help?

Besides, you can find pritty much anything on the web these days. Certainly most of what i read on that forum. (even if i did read the post about some girl wanting to make if more exciting for her bf when she masturbates infront of him) .. I mean, who would even wanna ask that here anyways lol. (don't say anything KronicSyndrom .. You and your dirty mind lol :p )
ocalhoun
Little as I would like to steer people away from Frihost, the best thing to do in that situation (I think) would be to find a forum dedicated to that kind of thing, sign up with a randomly chosen username and no account details, and ask your questions there, where nobody will think less of you because everybody there is like that. You'll also get more and better responses to it.