FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

kernel 2.6.24-rc3-git3-67-default

KHO
Has anyone been able to get a source for this kernel? Im running OpenSUSE 10.3 and YAST gives me an outdated kernel when I search for it, and google isn't much help here.
bostko
Why do you want to get the source exact for this kernel?
SonLight
I found the site http://lxr.linux.no/ , which seems to be good for most people looking for kernel sources, but probably not completely up-to-the minute, and they don't show things like release candidates.

You may need to go directly to kernel.org to get your source. They have a page http://www.kernel.org/doc/local/git-quick.html that describes how the git system works. If you are willing and able to download a 200 mb git repository, then you can have access to any desired version.

Alternatively, if you can determine the sha1 code corresponding to your desired release candidate, you can probably download it from their site. I see on their homepage that they are now up to rc5, but they don't mention anything about rc3 on that page.
KHO
Thx SonLight. I need the source so that I can install VMware server. You cannot do it without the source.

wow.... now I get to find out how to use Git which is apparently not installed on my machine at all..... nothign runs it properly...
SonLight
Usually, if you use the standard kernel for your distribution, it is easy to find the sources that match, from your distribution repository. Also, you probably only need the headers for the kernel, not the full source.

It appears you are experimenting with the latest kernels, and perhaps compiling your own. In that case, it may be worth your while to deal with the git repository and learn more about the kernel. On the other hand, you probably could upgrade your kernel to one of the newer release candidates which are still present on the kernel.org site, and configure vmware with that. In any case, whenever you install a new kernel, it's probably worthwhile to at least get the matching kernel headers so you're never missing the ones you need.

I am actually surprised I couldn't find the kernel source you needed without referring you to the git repository. I would think every version that was ever publically released would continue to be available as a patch or as a download or both. Probably they are there somewhere, but I didn't find the right place to look.
KHO
Well heres the thing, I'm actually quite new to linux, so I'm still learning quite a bit about how to do mos of the stuff. I never actually messed with the kernel, the one I have now was installed via the SUSE updates. I never opted to upgrade. I will just go ahead and switch it up to one thats not an RC from kernel.org.
djclue917
I believe you can get the source by "peeking inside" the kernel's source RPM (src.rpm). I'm actually not that familiar with RPM packages (I actually hate them) so I might be wrong. But as far as I can remember, the source URL is there (in the src.rpm, that is). I hope this helps...
SonLight
KHO wrote:
Well heres the thing, I'm actually quite new to linux, so I'm still learning quite a bit about how to do mos of the stuff. I never actually messed with the kernel, the one I have now was installed via the SUSE updates. I never opted to upgrade. I will just go ahead and switch it up to one thats not an RC from kernel.org.

You should be able to get the source from SUSE whenever you get a binary from them. I'm not familiar with SUSE, but look for the src rpm matching your kernel. With my Ubuntu system, I would expect to find a kernel.<version>, a kernel-dev.<version> and a kernel-src.<version>. I need to configure my package manager to look for sources, though. By default the system would only see the binary and the -dev which includes the header files. There is actually a legal requirement to make sources available whenever you distribute free software with the GPL license.