FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Everyone Just Posts For Points





smokey4life
I have noticed over some time now that people are posting left and right and all day in damn near any topic they can get their hands on. But when it comes down to actually trying to get some honest and effective help or information on something its not quite so easy. Dont get me wrong i have had many many people here help me out and everyone is very nice and helpful but sometimes you can go weeks on a post asking about something technical to where as you get 50 replies on "Whats your favorite color" in 30 minutes.... Seems that everyone is just quick to hop on and post about a whole bunch of nothing to get their points up then takes off what happened to Quality over quantity?
adeydas
i don't think the situation is like that. when it comes to technical issues not everybody is proficient in all topics and it cannot be formulated and guessed upon like general topics. if you know it, fine else you cannot write about it. besides i have seen that some technical questions are not specific and thus requires explaining a lot of things, which not many of us want to do.
smokey4life
adeydas wrote:
i don't think the situation is like that. when it comes to technical issues not everybody is proficient in all topics and it cannot be formulated and guessed upon like general topics. if you know it, fine else you cannot write about it. besides i have seen that some technical questions are not specific and thus requires explaining a lot of things, which not many of us want to do.


That is a very good point and some of it may be true but take a look at the numbers and watch the different boards and topics and also im not referring to EVERYONE in general. I probably should have titled this differently Smile but for the majority of users that just want free hosting it is true you can tell to as whom im talking about by the quality of their posts "most" people just jump right into the general category and post something to the sort "yes that is a good idea thanks for sharing that with us" which has no real relevance other then to boost their points.
KronikSindrome
If I just posted for points...I might actually HAVE some........
I've been so super busy this month due to retail MADNESS!
(yes even smut shops get busy with x-mas customers)
I have been really left with no time to sit down and write
e-mails to those I love let alone on any of my fave-frequented
message boards. Sure, I could just take 5 minutes and type something
generic but that's a waste of my time, and whoever takes the time to read it............


whoever took the time to read this.....................................thank you.
and you're welcom I took the time to write it.... -lol-

oh yeah, and my fave color is totaly PINK! yay! what's yours? Rolling Eyes

Laughing ........ Twisted Evil Wink
smokey4life
KronikSindrome wrote:
If I just posted for points...I might actually HAVE some........
I've been so super busy this month due to retail MADNESS!
(yes even smut shops get busy with x-mas customers)
I have been really left with no time to sit down and write
e-mails to those I love let alone on any of my fave-frequented
message boards. Sure, I could just take 5 minutes and type something
generic but that's a waste of my time, and whoever takes the time to read it............


whoever took the time to read this.....................................thank you.
and you're welcom I took the time to write it.... -lol-

oh yeah, and my fave color is totaly PINK! yay! what's yours? Rolling Eyes

Laughing ........ Twisted Evil Wink
No, i completely understand that completely but see at least your post was a "true" post and had relevance to the topic at hand you didnt just reply with "yea they sure do" or something of that nature i think those point boosters piss me off more then anything!!

Oh and thanks for your fav color mines blue Wink LOL Twisted Evil
Gushe
I agree with smokey4life,

I'm also member of another forum, where you need an invite to join.
Well, it's a pc forum etc, but there are some users which are just totally Spamming!
there is this "Questions & Errors" topic, well, then there are people posting thing about subjects they don't know anything about, just to get a higher Postcount.
I really hate it.
I miht have done it a little in the past, but not as much as some users now.
Now if I do a post, I make sure it Means sometnig and has Useful content.

The worst thing is, is that the user who has spammd the most (in the other forum) asked like "How long would i take me to get admin", lol, if he get's admin I quit Neutral
He really thinks he's the best and stuf.. annoying..

But w/e, that's not about this subject anymore.
What I also noticed, is that there are some users really makeing topics just to get higher postcount.
Check for example in the "Software topic, scroll a bit down and you will see like 8 topics made by "dannysusanto", with 0 replies, also a bit up there are some topics by him.
10 in total to be precise, well.. I think he just did it to get his host..

Shame on Post ******!
Bluedoll
I understand the problem, I think, but then that is why it is a problem.

Well we all ... have to post. For those that are quiet or maybe don't like taking the time to post or maybe don't like posting at all - perhaps to shut them up so to speak (I agree coming into a thread with stupid comments is not exactly appreciated is it?) would be to offer one topic on the board called "completely stupid posts".

It would be posts that are completely nonsense and allow users to post there who are here only to use the service for their own selfish reasons. Of course don't tell them that it gives them negitive points that eventually takes them off the board hahahahhahahha . Just kidding.

Maybe a solution is to just ignore any posts that are considered idiotic because you will always get people that do that?

Yes, there are some people that post stupid things. However, I think its good to keep something else in mind on boards. Sometimes, we can confuse some posts as spam that are not spam if we are not careful? After all, everyone is different and sometimes people post for different reasons.

The one thing, I think, we should not do and this is only my opinion ok, is to get angry or upset with posts that don't have great value for us. After all, sometimes, it is from people who just are not capable of anything else. Just because everyone is not on the same page, should it mean that their post is considered something not acceptable or is it just misplaced?

One example that comes to mind are my own posts. Technically, I really need help sometimes and do appreciate it when I get it. In the past (not on this board) because I've asked a simple question and got a reply that was well, not very nice, putting me down or telling me to go somewhere else - maybe just because I do not know as much as some guys - I have been shy to ask or even try to join in and answer any posts that are confusing to me but where I would like to help in some way if I could. I am not comfortable with being put down just because I don't have the knowledge - because that is why I post to begin with! To give what I can and to learn.

It doesn't mean I am dumb just because I don't know a subject profusely, after all I can write and communicate. My point is sometimes what appears as stupid posts are not always about meeting the need of getting a free web page. It can be about the capability of the user.

Of course the solution for that is to educate.

Just a thought.

Then again, well, maybe there will always be those people who do not post correctly on purpose or spam and thats a shame. It is just the nature of the beast.

Anyway, have a nice day and hope you enjoy the good posts you run across.

smiles
truespeed
smokey4life wrote:
I have noticed over some time now that people are posting left and right and all day in damn near any topic they can get their hands on. But when it comes down to actually trying to get some honest and effective help or information on something its not quite so easy. Dont get me wrong i have had many many people here help me out and everyone is very nice and helpful but sometimes you can go weeks on a post asking about something technical to where as you get 50 replies on "Whats your favorite color" in 30 minutes.... Seems that everyone is just quick to hop on and post about a whole bunch of nothing to get their points up then takes off what happened to Quality over quantity?


This is true,but unfortunately with post for host i don't really see a way to avoid it,people have to post so they end commenting on topics they have no interest in,luckily most stay and post in general so the rest of the board should be a place for people with actual opinions.

As for the technical help forums,i think there should be special mods/helpers assigned to these forums to help people with problems,i have asked a few times for help with technical stuff and apart from the odd occasion these questions go unanswered,the mods are quick to reply when questions are put in the frihost support,so i think there should also be mods/helpers who do the same in the "scripting" forums.

Its these kind of questions that get asked and answered that get indexed by google and bring people to the site via search engines,and result in more clicks for frihost.
Billy Hill
Way to look silly by generalizing about "everybody"

I don't even have an account here, I just like the diversity (and enragement) that comes with this place.
adeydas
smokey4life wrote:
adeydas wrote:
i don't think the situation is like that. when it comes to technical issues not everybody is proficient in all topics and it cannot be formulated and guessed upon like general topics. if you know it, fine else you cannot write about it. besides i have seen that some technical questions are not specific and thus requires explaining a lot of things, which not many of us want to do.


That is a very good point and some of it may be true but take a look at the numbers and watch the different boards and topics and also im not referring to EVERYONE in general. I probably should have titled this differently Smile but for the majority of users that just want free hosting it is true you can tell to as whom im talking about by the quality of their posts "most" people just jump right into the general category and post something to the sort "yes that is a good idea thanks for sharing that with us" which has no real relevance other then to boost their points.


yes that's true... and its an irony that we have to live with. but as they say "what goes around, comes around", so if somebody posts just one-liners, he would definitely be not given a hosting account!!!
Tumbleweed
Most people probably do just post for points when they first join, I know I did , not quite knowing how the points system would pan out I had points on the mind , I do kind of agree with you though I have noticed some users that seem to join and go OTT ,10 bazzillion posts in a month Shocked Wanna be moderators I allways think .
tidruG
Quote:
Wanna be moderators I allways think .
The post count is one of the last things we look at when looking for new Moderators, actually! :P

Anyway, about the topic... Yes, it's true that serious support questions do not get a lot of replies. And like someone said, I think it really is because of the fact that very few members here are well aquainted with the things these topics are made about.

Also, the General Chat is probably the most popular forum since it's right at the top, and it's got a very wide scope.

And finally, you should remember that more than points, it's the ease of replying in a "silly" or simple topic that causes these threads to have a lot of replies, rather than having to think before you post in other topics.
coolclay
Of course some people will post just to get points, isn't that the point. But further more on your observation of people not helping you with technical things, it is probably that very few people have the answer to your problem, and hence don't post. Now if you asked a technical question, and someone posted something completely unrelated to what you were asking, then I would say obviously they are just posting to get points, either that or they have a mental disability.
rvec
gkvishnu wrote:
I agree with this...

You guys mean posts like this?

Couldn't help laughing when I saw this post in this topic Razz
If you see something like this please report it, we'll remove it from the topic.

BTW also having to read long posts wich you'll find more in the serious topics keeps a lot of users from posting in those.
SonLight
k_s_baskar and gkvishnu, I would think you could have managed more than a single line reply. I realize that for many members, English is not their first language, so it's a little more work for them to make a good post. This is a good place to overcome your shyness of using English, however. The vast majority of people here will try and be helpful and understanding in spite of bad grammar and spelling.

I enjoy posting here. Nevertheless, it's usually easier not to post than to post. I think all of us suffer from having to post at least something, no matter how valuable or useless it might be. While the value of the average post is probably lower than it should be because of this, there are at least some limits; no one can stay hosted here for a long time if all their posts add nothing to the topic at hand.

It would seem desirable that members could vote on the usefulness and appropriateness of topics and posts. Unfortunately, any such scheme would probably be compromised by some who would vote for their spamming friends. I suppose we will continue to depend primarily on moderators to keep forum quality from deteriorating.
Pkshields
Billy Hill wrote:
Way to look silly by generalizing about "everybody"

I don't even have an account here, I just like the diversity (and enragement) that comes with this place.

I'm in the same boat as you here. I came here for hosting, but then realised I didn't need it. But I stayed around for fun anyway. Most people come here just for the hosting, the posting part is just a nuisance.
Vrythramax
k_s_baskar wrote:
what to do. i deadly need points to be hosted ?!
Smile


just a suggestion, try making longer more meaningful posts and your points will rise faster.
Tumbleweed
tidruG wrote:
Quote:
Wanna be moderators I allways think .
The post count is one of the last things we look at when looking for new Moderators, actually! Razz

Oh and that stops them...... Razz
evilryu530
yea, we wanna post for points or else our service gets cut off or interrupted. but i think darn though they make you type wayyyyyy to much! can it be adjusted? some people just go on and on for ever about anything to get the max points per post. am i doing that right now? you be the judge of that.
SpellcasterDX
I don't believe I'm guilty of that, but I have seen quite a few newbies do that. I usually only post in topics that interest me. (Which a lot of the time there is a lack of. Razz)

But I agree this is a problem. Unfortunately it can't really be avoided. Especially for noobs and people who just post for the sake of keeping their account.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=45939
This user for example. Redundant replies to topics that have already been taken care of/answered.
tidruG
Tumbleweed wrote:
tidruG wrote:
Quote:
Wanna be moderators I allways think .
The post count is one of the last things we look at when looking for new Moderators, actually! Razz

Oh and that stops them...... Razz
It should, but I guess it doesn't.


Ideally, on Frihost, people should enter threads they find interesting, and then post in those threads. In this case, posts will automatically become the perfect length.
Jaan
That's how people are. It's our duty! I hope they fixed the email thing.

It is a weird system but if it gives Bondings the cash for hosting, then I'll keep doin it!
divinitywolf
Personally i think that people are desperate to keep their account hosted and cant be bothered posting long quality posts on these forums so they post any old rubbish so that their account isn't deleted.
PatTheGreat42
Well, yeah people are going to post a lot in easy to respond to topics. Let's face it, we all need those points to keep up our free hosting. And if we only posted on topics that are highly educational and very useful, we'd never earn any points, or never earn enough.

Think about it. I've posted many threads asking for PHP help. I've always been quite pleased with the results, but you gotta consider that many times, my problem is rather specific and requires knowledge of some tiny details of PHP. Plus, my problems have a specific solution. So there are very few people who could even have a useful response, and once someone replies with the answer to my problem, what's the point of anyone else responding? They wouldn't be adding anything useful. It's probably a good thing 100 people don't latch on and respond with something useless just to get points.

Yeah, the system ain't perfect, but it gets us free hosting, so w00t.
ankitdatashn
smokey4life wrote:
I have noticed over some time now that people are posting left and right and all day in damn near any topic they can get their hands on. But when it comes down to actually trying to get some honest and effective help or information on something its not quite so easy. Dont get me wrong i have had many many people here help me out and everyone is very nice and helpful but sometimes you can go weeks on a post asking about something technical to where as you get 50 replies on "Whats your favorite color" in 30 minutes.... Seems that everyone is just quick to hop on and post about a whole bunch of nothing to get their points up then takes off what happened to Quality over quantity?


I guess you are partly correct but that's not all of it. Yes we love points but I do write stuff if anything "catches" the eye. I have highlighted "catches" because as a student I don't have much time to loitre around because studies, etc also cause a burden. My dear friend this life is very fast and we have to live in it to adapt ourselves. Life is quantity as well as quality, but people are different, some people go for quantity some go for quality, no one can change the attitude of people, it's mostly ourselves who have to change.

It might appear obscure, but that's the truth!.......I feel atleast!
nilsmo
I will admit: I post pretty much only for the points. Most of my posts are pretty uninformative and just for points, but sometimes in the math and science forums I put some work into my posts because what I am writing about may be interesting.
Utopia GFR
I agree that some posts are pretty much pointless but I guess that the main thing that keeps people posting is that they only need to be active to maintain their account-free website.

If the policy had to be changed making it 100% compulsory to post only quality posts (with supervised control) , I'm not sure people would still be willing to post.

Besides, if this had to happen, quality posts would only refer to subjective thinking making the whole issue sound kind of discriminating and elitist.

People don't always have the time to make quality topics or to share constructive comments.

What makes these forums attractive is the non-standardized way of posting topics, thus giving quite an interesting range of freedom in expressing things to all kinds of posters.

At least (just assuming), 60% of single posts are probably worth 1 or 2 frih points but that doesn't mean that there are poor quality posts-replies especially if we tend to believe that quality posts are long ones.

Freedom of speech and universal thoughts sharing in a smooth and polite way, that's how I see things here Smile

smokey4life wrote:
I have noticed over some time now that people are posting left and right and all day in damn near any topic they can get their hands on. But when it comes down to actually trying to get some honest and effective help or information on something its not quite so easy. Dont get me wrong i have had many many people here help me out and everyone is very nice and helpful but sometimes you can go weeks on a post asking about something technical to where as you get 50 replies on "Whats your favorite color" in 30 minutes.... Seems that everyone is just quick to hop on and post about a whole bunch of nothing to get their points up then takes off what happened to Quality over quantity?
Vrythramax
Utopia GFR wrote:
I agree that some posts are pretty much pointless but I guess that the main thing that keeps people posting is that they only need to be active to maintain their account-free website.

If the policy had to be changed making it 100% compulsory to post only quality posts (with supervised control) , I'm not sure people would still be willing to post.

Besides, if this had to happen, quality posts would only refer to subjective thinking making the whole issue sound kind of discriminating and elitist.

People don't always have the time to make quality topics or to share constructive comments.

What makes these forums attractive is the non-standardized way of posting topics, thus giving quite an interesting range of freedom in expressing things to all kinds of posters.

At least (just assuming), 60% of single posts are probably worth 1 or 2 frih points but that doesn't mean that there are poor quality posts-replies especially if we tend to believe that quality posts are long ones.

Freedom of speech and universal thoughts sharing in a smooth and polite way, that's how I see things here Smile


I think just about everybody, at one time or another posts strictly for points in order to keep thier free hosting...the only people who honestly don't care about points are the people who are either not hosted by us or staff members (the staff posts regardless of points....we are crazy like that). In reference to the quoted text...quality does win over quantity, and it IS all moderated. We have what's called a Spamcan that moderators, AC's, and Admins use to weed out lousy posts...lousy in respect that they are just spam. This has always been Frihost's policy and as to date it has not affected membership or posting.

As for your contention of a post that is only worth 1 or 2 points doesn't mean it isn't quality...I couldn't agree more. I have said many times in the past when asked what constitutes a good post that the size of the post is irrelevant to it's quality...if you can say something of meaning that contributes to the subject matter at hand with a few simple lines...that's a quality post. Not all 5 point posts are quality posts.
RubySlasher
You have to bring home the bacon SOMEHOW.




.
Aless
What do you honestly expect from a board that REQUIRES people to post at a certain rate? Take a another board where participation is purely voluntarily...of course the level of conversation is going to be higher because you CHOOSE to be there.
babumuchhala
Frankly I haven't gone through all posts but have realized that you mean one liners are utter spam for points and thats what we all hate.

Almost a year - year & half back I used to be the one with many posts and frequenting the board for all kinds of cool topics and eagerly willing to help. But then I got really busy with my life and my regularity to the board reduced and this was precisely the time the forum literally exploded, and now every time I come I cant find a quality short thread (because I like to know what everyone is saying and then put my word in). Now every time I am here either all cool threads have had decent replies or have been bombed by tons of trash.

So now if you say my main aim is to get points but its against my policies to just go out and spam, so that is the reason for my current points situation
furtasacra
I know for a fact that there are people posting just for points. I've done it myself. I have been known to ask odd questions in the general chat forums, purely for the sake of trying to start an interesting or entertaining conversation. That's partly what forums are FOR, right?
MrBlueSky
Aless wrote:
What do you honestly expect from a board that REQUIRES people to post at a certain rate? Take a another board where participation is purely voluntarily...of course the level of conversation is going to be higher because you CHOOSE to be there.


Exactly. The deal is very simple: if you post enough then you get free hosting. Some people don't post for points, because they do not have a hosting account, or because they post enough to not have to care about points. Maybe these people (I am one of them :p) are sometimes irritated when they think other people are just posting for points. But, that's the deal at frihost, so you know this happens and will always happen. And seriously, does it really matter?

Besides that, on a forum with a posting quota, everybody seems to automatically assume that every one liner is a post-for-points. But you don't know that. There are millions of forums out there without posting requirement where one-liners are very common. Maybe the poster of a oneliner has trouble with english, maybe (s)he types very slowly. Or maybe that one line was exactly what (s)he wanted to say, nothing less, nothing more. Do people have to add a few sentences just to make sure people wont accuse them of posting for points?
smokey4life
LMAO!! another grreat thing i have observed is the fact that except on rare occasions do people ever read what the topic is all about!! Im not going to name any names here but if you go back and read my first 2 posts on this i believe and what a few people said its quite comical considering it has nothing to do with what i was referring to. I will accept the fact that i poorly named this topic title cause its "somewhat" of what i was meaning but not quite! I was more referring to the fact that no one takes the time to help one another not the fact that people post 1 liners and such....
KronikSindrome
what about posting for fun?

I mean help is great n all, in the "help" places.....
but what about the random topic places?

'cause I don't post to help anyone...
I post to help myself...have a good time....

yeah I really like having my website hosted here but if this place didn't
do it I'd find one that would, for free and no posts required....but I like
that you have to kind of earn your keep...it makes it feel even more specialy

yes i said specialy.....

but the problem is I don't always have a chance to post...
'cause life is oh so ever demanding -dramatic pose-
so I kinda try to post a lot when I do.......

dose that make me a point poser?

and yes I meant poser not poster Wink
bigdan
I don't post for points. When I find a topic I want to add my two bob's worth in, I'll post something to that thread. The points are just after thoughts to me.
JBotAlan
I honestly quit posting entirely because I got busy with life...and quit caring for awhile.

At this point, I am posting for points, but I am trying to do it in the most interesting way possible without spamming everyone. I wish I could say I was here because I wanted to be...but honestly I am cheap and want free hosting.

I wonder if this thread was born out of a need for points? LOL...that would be the ultimate irony...
smokey4life
JBotAlan wrote:
I honestly quit posting entirely because I got busy with life...and quit caring for awhile.

At this point, I am posting for points, but I am trying to do it in the most interesting way possible without spamming everyone. I wish I could say I was here because I wanted to be...but honestly I am cheap and want free hosting.

I wonder if this thread was born out of a need for points? LOL...that would be the ultimate irony...


Quite the opposite actually, i don't post for points (which is why my points go in the negatives at times) This post was created for the fact that it is extremely hard to get some real help on frihost, im not trying to bash but it really is sometimes. I was trying to pget some attention in the help sections of the site since everyone seems to only pay attention to the general category portion. If you read my actual first post instead of just the title you would know this.
unknownc1c
haha yeah that's true, though i've never had any problem getting help. I agree that you get a lot on the simple stuff, but that's because the simple title means you can probably give a simple answer/response. Those posts are the ones people like me don't really have to think about and you can probably get a nice big post off it.

Which one would you be more likely to post
What's your favorite color?
or
What's the universal equations for gravity from a black hole?

sure the bottom one is more interesting, but not many people can relate to a topic like that where as everyone has a favorite color Razz That's my opinion anyways
tidruG
Meh... I don't really have a favourite colour... I mean, I'd love a black car, but I'd avoid milkshake that was of that colour :P

Of late, some of the people who were generally very active in the Help sections have been really busy with other things. I guess this is why it's getting harder to get help on support topics on Frihost.
FunDa
One-liners don't fetch much points. So how can that be posting for points ? I'd say copy pasting stuff off the web is posting for points

I do sometimes post just for points. I had exams in early December, so I did in fact post till my points reached 45 and then ran off to read for my exams. And i could log back in only when my points were around 20 or less.
I don't know what to do with all the Frih$ though Very Happy
asim
smokey4life wrote:
I have noticed over some time now that people are posting left and right and all day in damn near any topic they can get their hands on. But when it comes down to actually trying to get some honest and effective help or information on something its not quite so easy. Dont get me wrong i have had many many people here help me out and everyone is very nice and helpful but sometimes you can go weeks on a post asking about something technical to where as you get 50 replies on "Whats your favorite color" in 30 minutes.... Seems that everyone is just quick to hop on and post about a whole bunch of nothing to get their points up then takes off what happened to Quality over quantity?


You would have noticed that people do post for points.... so they can if they have nothing to write and cant find topics or problem... in which they can lend a helpinh hand... but there are people who create useless topic and people keep on bugging and reply bcoz its much easier to post for a general topic to then to a technical.... and everything is realted to reasoning what, why when.... so why bother if someone in earning points.... well let me ask you one question havent you ever posted just for points??? hmmmm..... well just look how you helped i have posted in your comment and acccumlated more than 3 points so wat say... keep exchanging useful words.. and be rich frihoster's.

Just kidding, dont take anything seriou....... and if have time do visit my blg as i need ur comment... my blg is at http://asim.frihost.net
LostOverThere
This should really get locked now, I mean, it's just a whole heap of spammy wannabe long posts.

But seriously, the easiest way to spot someone who doesn't really want to be here (and just wants the points) besides those who post very short messages is those who post in the same forum in every topic and never use proper grammer.
ehecatl
Why do you think my points are so negative? lol. I mean, granted, this is my first time on in awhile, but when I do get on, the rules of the board are no spamming, so if I don't have anything useful or conversational to to say, why post? Wouldn't it just be spam then?
Donutey
Having been here a while, I've noticed that if the topic is easy to talk about or something that's well known, then it gets many replies, often inane ones. Looking through the topics that I've created, those that I difficult and unique question (such as choosing a monitor, or help with awstats) that actually takes time to solve, people don't post.

With the points system it definitely rewards quantity of quality, but not much you can do about it.
Related topics
useless posts
Debate Forum?
Hello! I'm Siddharth. I need your advise for making webpage
Me = Brand New
Changements to the Points/frih$ system (Discuss)
Is everybody here illiterate?
Do you like myspace?
Games are great
Fri$-Loans
Points and FRIH$ gone wrong
Nowy wyglad
New Account Q's
Ranks?
About learning on this forum.
Newbie with some questions
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.