You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are you a responsible tourist?

When booking a holiday does it matter to you if either the tour operator or the destination is following a responsible tourism guideline?

Cape Town Declaration on Responsible Tourism in Destinations 2002

Responsible Tourism:

 minimises negative economic, environmental, and social impacts;
 generates greater economic benefits for local people and enhances the well-being of host communities, improves working conditions and access to the industry;
 involves local people in decisions that affect their lives and life chances;
 makes positive contributions to the conservation of natural and cultural heritage, to the maintenance of the world's diversity;
 provides more enjoyable experiences for tourists through more meaningful connections with local people, and a greater understanding of local cultural, social and environmental issues;
 provides access for physically challenged people; and
 is culturally sensitive, engenders respect between tourists and hosts, and builds local pride and confidence.
thats interesting
putting as a tag line

"are you a responsible tourist"

no interested readers even in 3 days
except 1

lets leave it like that for another 2 days
then re-post it
maybe make it a lil more jazzy
lets have a lil fun Rolling Eyes
depends on what do you mean on tourists, the campers or the city goers? or the old century stuff people?
as for camping, you leave better then you arrived! thats how i treat camp grounds, and take all things i placed back w/ me, even bagged feces, mother nature is the only thing we have.
I think these guidelines are great. I think everyone should travel by them. I try very hard to be a responsible traveler and I wish others did too.
Yeah I hate tourists that do not know how to behave themselves or do not care whatsoever to show any respect or understanding for the culture they are confronted with.
My wife and I travel frequently and like other posters here, typically leave the area better than we found it. We usually opt to cruise these days though. Or we may stay here and there for a week or so in a hotel. That way, we can take smaller day hikes and excursions. Camping over night in a tent for more than 1-2 days is not something my wife is in to. And I can't leave her at home, I've tried.
Yes, it is important, obviously, to be a responsible tourist. However, a lot of what is said is outside your control when using tourism companies. You don't know what their practices are. It's the same with airlines etc.
I am not too crazy about rules and regulations, so tend to steer away from them. When I go on holiday I tend to like to be free and the word responsibility for me feels like rules and regulations. Think I am fairly responsible along the lines of do onto others. Little things like not littering, not taking photos of people without their permission, acting as an ambassador of your country without being offended when people treat you that way, being patient when there is confusion due to differences in culture and languages. To follow the rules of the country. I.e. if you are in the Middle East to dress appropriately and to behave appropriately.