FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Recommed Wii Games

Tumbleweed
We are getting ( well we got it ) a Wii for the kids ( Honest Laughing ) this christmas, for those of you that have one allready ,what games would you recommend ? and why ?.
dirkvb
I've got myself a WII also. And my parents bought for me Wii Play (with a wii-mote), this is a game of nine mini-games, which are hours of fun.

Wii-play has got billiard, table tennis, fishing, ...
Depends on what age your kids are they could have days of fun with this simple but funny game.

Greetz
Sparda
I would recommend Mario Galaxy. I don't really have a Wii, but I have always liked Mario games ever since I started playing video games. Another game I would really recommend would be Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Altough, I am not quite sure when it will come out, or if it is already out. The reason I would pick Super Smash Bros. is because Super Smash Bros. Melee was my first gamecube game and still today it is my favorite gamecube game. Really fun. Maybe Mario Tennis would be good also. That sort of game would seem like fun maybe. So, pretty much I'm in favor with all the Mario type games. Smile
mattchun
These little sports game in it, like tennis and baseball, I like them very much.
Yantaal
you get the sports when you buy it.

games i love, (i am 20) resident evil umbrella chronicles, with the Zapper, which is awesome and comes with a game as well.

dragon ball z budokai tenkaichi 2

zelda twilight princess

they are mymain feaveroutes, but they are al awesome
wombatrpgs
And since you get the bundle it is okay to just get the general Wii box and call it a day. You'll still have one of the best Wii games out there, Wii Sports. And yes, the 'sequel' yould probably be a good idea. Wii Play is just as good.

It really depends on how old the kid is. Something like Guitar Hero or Twilight Princess might be nice for an older kid, and Wario Ware is excellent for younger children as well.
Magicman
wombatrpgs wrote:
Wario Ware is excellent for younger children as well.

Wario Ware is great for people of pretty much any age depending on their personality. If you don't mind making a fool of yourself in the name of fun then it is a great party game. Wii Sports is really all you need to have a great time for a while.
collin
Personally I really enjoy WarioWare and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
They are both very enjoyable games, even if both games are from when it first came out.
Packfan104L4
Guitar Hero 3 is a must have. It's a great value for the amoutn of replayability. The only problem is you're going to have to find a bundle somehow.
Fire Boar
Tumbleweed wrote:
We are getting ( well we got it ) a Wii for the kids ( Honest Laughing ) this christmas, for those of you that have one allready ,what games would you recommend ? and why ?.

"For the kids (Honest)"? I've got a Wii and I'm not a kid - it's okay, Nintendo have always been passionate about making things accessible for the whole family. This is seen by some as "for kids", but a more accurate description would be "suitable for kids".

As for recommended games... Zelda: Twilight Princess is a great start, if you're into the platforming type of thing. Then there's Wario Ware if you don't mind looking silly (great for parties!), and Excite Truck for insane high-speed dirt racing. A unique FPS is Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and it's one that I heartily recommend. That'll do to start.
vonboy
i would say mario galaxy, but don't get it if you have motion sickness. my little sister tried playing it, and after like 10 minutes, she was feeling dizzy and nausiated Laughing .
RedPiano
Sorry if I'm late but I highly suggest the thousands of party games available since they are the main thing for the Wii. Naruto clash of ninja is good, zelda, super mario galaxy, super paper mario etc.
Ghengis
Mario is a must-buy for most gamers -- it's the rare kid that doesn't like that style of gameplay, and Mario implements it pretty much perfectly.

After that, there's at least a dozen games that are really good examples of their genre, though of course you want to know a little something about the recipient's tastes:

• Zack and Wiki -- a puzzle game with an anime art theme and surprising depth. It might get a bit difficult at the very end, but they let you "buy your way" out of trouble.
  • Metroid Prime 3 -- hybrid FPS/adventure game, not for very young kids but probably OK for tween/teen. Does the venerable series justice, IMHO
  • Zelda Twilight Princess -- this is probably one of the best adventure games ever made. Even though the visuals look dark, I don't think there's anything here that would inappropriate for a 8-10 year old.
  • Resident Evil 4 is a great 3rd-person shooter that absolutely SHOULD NOT be given to kids. It contains among other things graphic decapitations and torture. If they're older (teens), though, they'd probably love it, plus it's cheaper than new-release titles.
  • Wario Ware; Rayman Raving Rabbids -- mini-game collections. Some are really fun for everybody; some are frustrating or just exhausting. They're both pretty good about not *forcing* you to play the games you don't like, and they can be a blast with multiple players.
  • Excite Truck -- I didn't expect to like a racing game, but I really got into it. It's an "arcade" racer -- you don't live or die by millisecond-precise turning or drafting behind your opponents; it's just *fun*.
  • Lego Star Wars is a really fun if somewhat simple game for two players at the same time. I cannot think of a better game for younger siblings to play together. And hey, it's Star Wars!
  • I hear good things about Battalion Wars II (BWii) which is a third-person action/adventure that's sort of like being inside of an RTS.

That should get you started -- remember, if you're buying for kids, check the ESRB rating (it's like the rating of a movie or TV show). They don't always give you all the information you need, but it should give you some idea of whether or not the game is appropriate.
indie_hall
Since it's for the kids, multiplayer games are a must. I would recommend; Warioware (which insanely simple and delightful), Wii Play (for more Wii Sports fun), Lego Star Wars - Complete Saga, and Super Mario Galaxy (which a friend and I have been playing since it came out nearly a month ago).

All of these are kid (and adult) friendly, very fun, and not that complicated. Warioware as well as Wii Play have a ton of replay value and will be used for years to come. Smile
dangerdog
mario is a great bet. resident evil: umbrella chronicles is great if they're not small children (who doesn't love house of the dead style re?), and rayman has lots of enjoyable minigames as well as warioware. i think i'm just repeating everyone else, now. Mad
Magicman
I just got Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games and I think it is great. Its fairly easy and is basically a fun multiplayer game
GeoS
Generally, anything made by Nintendo itself will at least be presented well, and is a safe(ish) buy. Of course, Nintendo is famous for being very first-party dominating. Capcom is by far the best third-party Wii publisher/developer.

Avoid tacky games, 'budget' games (the ones that consist of 'this many' minigames, all of which suck), and movie licenses are usually awful. My favourite rule is that if you haven't heard of it, theres probably a reason...

I second what everyone else has recommended. Resident Evil and Metroid for action, Wii Play and WarioWare for party/multiplayer, Zelda and Mario for general adventure fun. I just thought I'd say what to avoid too. Laughing

GeoS
ehecatl
Depends on your kids age. How old? If they're into strategy and story line I'd recommend Fire Emblem any day! It's my favorite game on all the Nintendo systems! If you're looking for family fun go with Mario Party or Wario Ware. Personally, I liked Mario Perty better.
orno
i can also reocmmend mario and sonic at the olympic games...just got it last week, and its another fun multi person party game like wii sports.... another less heard of title which i quite like is Big Brain Academy, which is great fun to play with kids, plus playing it on expert level against your gf/bf is a real blast Smile
Yjaxygames
The media praised Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime, which are 2 good wii games. Mario and Sonic at the Olympics was sold very well, but you'll need more than 1 controller to really enjoy this game. Then you can play against each other, and that's what that game is all about. The gameplay isn't that good, you mostly have to swing that controller around Razz
ehecatl
orno wrote:
i can also reocmmend mario and sonic at the olympic games...just got it last week, and its another fun multi person party game like wii sports.... another less heard of title which i quite like is Big Brain Academy, which is great fun to play with kids, plus playing it on expert level against your gf/bf is a real blast Smile

I agree with the big brain academy! Smile loads of fun! ^_^
mattchun
these sports game to help you fit, I like them
Whong
Super Mario Galaxy definitely! It's superb!!! Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
eday2010
I bought Endless Ocean on Wednesday, and while it's more a simulation than a game in the true sense of the word, I found it really enjoyable. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it's very different from everything else. No shooting, no killing, no time limits. It's the kind of game where you don't want to have to concentrate too hard on playing; you can relax like you are watchign TV, but interact with the game. It's a nice change of pace. And for $30, totally worth buying for me. Others who are into first person shooters and hyper games should probably rent this one before buying since it may be too laid back and calm for them Smile
enygmasoft
I would have no problems recommending Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicals with no problems. Its by far the funnest Resident Evil Game ever made.
vonboy
one game nobody has recommended yet is mercury meltdown revolution. it's kinda hard to find because they don't make many copies for it.

you tilt the wii-mote to tilt the maze level, and make try to get the blob of mercury to the finish. you can smash the blob into a corner, and break it up into pieces, which you'll have to do to mix colors and stuff. it's very hard though. if you're not realy into difficult puzzle games based on being careful, and where one slightly off move will kill you, you probably shouldn't get this game. it's only $20, so it'll be worth your money

one nice thing i like about this game though is that even though theres a time-limit on each level, it will still let you finish the level and advance to the next if you can't make it within the time limit.
Bryan_Bezzle
A game that I recommend above all else for fun, including younger and older generations, is Rayman Raving Rabbids 2. I never even thought twice about the game because I thought it would be terrible, but my friend brought it over one night and it is a blast. 4 players. Loveable little characters. And this is the mini-game game to get. Warioware's games are too short. Carnival games are too tacky. This is so much more than I expected. If you don't have 4 players or 4 wiimotes then they do have a one player story mode that is spectacular. It looks like the real-world on rail, but with the loveable little characters. A must own if you're looking for a good time.
eday2010
vonboy wrote:
one game nobody has recommended yet is mercury meltdown revolution. it's kinda hard to find because they don't make many copies for it.

My friend bought that game and she enjoys it quite a bit. I will be buying it next time I happen to see it somewhere.
ZeroXD
Are you looking for the games your whole family can enjoy? like multiplayer games? Or are you looking for a single player game you would enjoy?

I just made a post about it, but if your older crowd and enjoy GTA-ish games, I would recommend No More Heroes, but if you live in the US, it'd unrated and it's pretty violent... so keep that one away fromt he lil kiddies around the house.

For multiplayer and most age groups, I would recommend Trauma Center: New Blood, since it has a pretty cool co-op gaming.

I second the Mario and Sonic at the Olympics recommendation, but be forewarned that if you play this extensively your forearms will be sore!

Lastly, I think Big Brain academy is fun for all age groups and it has some pretty fun multiplayer challenges.
Kelcey
I highly recommend RE4. That's about it. I didn't like Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime or Twilight Princess.
eday2010
Elebits is another very fun game for the Wii. Sega Bass Fishing is pretty good too if you like fishing games.
enygmasoft
Zelda games are alway fun, but the Metroid series is by far the best FPS shooter ever made in my opinion. Don't forget the Resident evil series which always been fun. I also love mario games, those are always fun to play. Mario galaxy was fun.
eday2010
Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

I hate fighting games, but I like this one a lot!
enygmasoft
The best games ever for the WII are the Resident Evil and Metroid Series, but The legend of Zelda is the greatest series ever made. By far. which is the reasons why I keep on trucking with Nintendo. That and lets not forget Mario games are always fun. WII sports game are always more fun than the PS3 games thats for sure.
Ghengis
Brawl is an amazing game. Sometimes people sell you something and tell you "It's like 3 (whatevers) in one!" This is really at least 2 complete games in one, if not more so. It's a finely tuned single- and multi-player fighting game, plus a Final Fight-style side scrolling brawler with light RPG elements, not to mention the literally dozens of unlockable bonus goodies. I can't recommend it highly enough.
jfcharizard
zelda:tp and super mario galaxy Smile
LostOverThere
Ghengis wrote:
Brawl is an amazing game. Sometimes people sell you something and tell you "It's like 3 (whatevers) in one!" This is really at least 2 complete games in one, if not more so. It's a finely tuned single- and multi-player fighting game, plus a Final Fight-style side scrolling brawler with light RPG elements, not to mention the literally dozens of unlockable bonus goodies. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Ah....stop tempting me! It sucks so bad living in Australia, by the time you get a game the sequel is out in America.

Though, that is a bit of an exaggeration... Rolling Eyes
Ghengis
Can't you just buy an American TV, Wii, and power converter? I know I would. Heh.

Seriously, though, that sucks and I'm sorry. Maybe the "Twilight Hack" will let you run Region 1 games?
vonboy
atleast europe/other is getting mario kart wii first and wiifit before the US to help make up for the absence of ssbb.

and this might be a little pre-mature, but i could recommend the wii version of spore for those who won't have a good enough pc to run it when it comes out in septenber of this year. i've been following that game for about a year and a half, and it's shaping up to be an epic sandbox like game. it'll probably atleast be better than the other console versions because the wiimote pointer is better for rts's and sims games and those types of games that need a mouse.
Inspectorspeedy
You should definitely get Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The Multi-player in this game is the best! You should also get Wii play and Super Mario Galaxy. All of these games are really good. I am not sure about other games, but these would be my top picks.