FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CPU and memory usage

Daniel15
The CPU Usage on the Frihost server is 8.28%, and memory usage is 70.5%! This probably isn't a good thing, especially the memory usage.

http://frihost.net:2082/frontend/x/status.html
Dustwars9
The memory is still low. It is not at 90% and someone might be installing some scripts on their website. a 70.5% memory usage is good for free hosting. You can pay for hosting with a higher memery usage. Unless you are going to help upgrade the servers for this great service you might only want to care about the cpu when it gets above 90%. It is still using less then 3 quarters of memory and is capable of keeping all the sites up and running.

I am not shure if frihost would want you to post their cpanel access because it can help hackers. All they have to do is run some password scanner and boom everything on the server is erased.
Bondings
A high memory usage won't do harm. The memory should be used by the server. If it would be stuck at 40%, then there would have been no reason to get 1024MB instead of 512MB. Like dustwars said, it will only get important when it gets over 90%.

The cpu usage is a bigger problem, but as long as the pages keep loading fast, there is no need to worry about it.

Quote:
I am not shure if frihost would want you to post their cpanel access because it can help hackers. All they have to do is run some password scanner and boom everything on the server is erased.

It's not hard to guess that link. You shouldn't be worried about it.
Cragger
Out of curiosity, what is peoples average load time for their websites?

Just loading the forum on my website takes about 6 seconds..Is this normal with FriHost?
Bondings
Cragger wrote:
Out of curiosity, what is peoples average load time for their websites?

Just loading the forum on my website takes about 6 seconds..Is this normal with FriHost?

Wow, that's long. That will either mean something is wrong with your forum or there was a slow period on this server.

This website is also hosted on the same server and it *normally* loads in less than a second, depending on your internet connection of course.
Cragger
Yeah im thinking it could be the Banner on the template, as its quite large.

Im going to make it less than 20k

See how long it takes you (nothing on it atm)

www.darkillusions.co.uk

(im not advertising the link, this is purely to test load time)
Dustwars9
Cragger wrote:
Yeah im thinking it could be the Banner on the template, as its quite large.

Im going to make it less than 20k

See how long it takes you (nothing on it atm)

www.darkillusions.co.uk

(im not advertising the link, this is purely to test load time)

I went to your forum and it loaded fine. Like bondings said you probably tried to load when the server was slow or your connection slows you down. Changing your banner is a good idea because most dialup users will leave your site when they see some huge image loading.
Cragger
Yeah ive made it 40k now, lowest i can make it without too much compression and pixelation.

Musta been a slow time on the server.
Bondings
It's very fast for me now. Please don't be afraid to post a link to your website if it is needed.

By the way, you may even advertise it, but then it has to be posted in the "advertise your website" forum.
althalus
The forum index loaded in about 1-2 seconds for me, and I'm on a 8mbit connection (shared).

Imo you should concider to make the banner smaller, as it covers half the page making it look a bit weird.. It could just be me, being on a slightly older computer with a smaller resolution, but still.. I don't like having to scroll the first thing I do when I enter a page Wink

Also, it would load faster for someone on 56k. Smile
Bondings
althalus wrote:
The forum index loaded in about 1-2 seconds for me, and I'm on a 8mbit connection (shared).

Imo you should concider to make the banner smaller, as it covers half the page making it look a bit weird.. It could just be me, being on a slightly older computer with a smaller resolution, but still.. I don't like having to scroll the first thing I do when I enter a page Wink

Also, it would load faster for someone on 56k. Smile

Do you mean smaller qua hight or qua width?

About the server load, I'm trying to fix it. At the moment it averages around 0.5-0.7 which is much better than before. Very Happy
Cragger
Well for me im running 1480/800 on my laptop and 1280/1024 on my computer.

It looks Fine, but if you are running 800/600 i see where problems could arise.

Just tested it in 1024/768, i guess i will make it a bit smaller Rolling Eyes

Also, today the site load times were fine. But i noticed on some other sites people have 100k + images loading, this cant be good for memory usage.
Reiji
Cragger wrote:
Well for me im running 1480/800 on my laptop and 1280/1024 on my computer.

It looks Fine, but if you are running 800/600 i see where problems could arise.

Just tested it in 1024/768, i guess i will make it a bit smaller Rolling Eyes

Also, today the site load times were fine. But i noticed on some other sites people have 100k + images loading, this cant be good for memory usage.

Well, if you ask me (i know you don΄t) you should make the banner for a resolution of 800x600 (which is the most popular) and then make the image to center itself, so it would look good in almost every resolution, make it a bit smaller than 800x600, thats a great effect.
Daniel15
A couple of days ago, the CPU usage rose to 98.9%! The forum took me about 1 minute to load. I made a post about it, but it seems to have dissapeared. Confused

Maybe you should ban CGI scripts (if not already banned). Scripts such as CGI scripts use up heaps of CPU usage (especially resource-hungry scripts like CGI forums, which are banned on almost every web host). Every time a visitor runs a CGI script, it starts a seperate instance of the script. You get 100 visitors at the same time to that script, and there goes all your CPU time.
Bondings
daniel15 wrote:
A couple of days ago, the CPU usage rose to 98.9%! The forum took me about 1 minute to load. I made a post about it, but it seems to have dissapeared. Confused

Maybe you should ban CGI scripts (if not already banned). Scripts such as CGI scripts use up heaps of CPU usage (especially resource-hungry scripts like CGI forums, which are banned on almost every web host). Every time a visitor runs a CGI script, it starts a seperate instance of the script. You get 100 visitors at the same time to that script, and there goes all your CPU time.

I'll certainly be investigating what causes this high cpu-usage. It might be a cgi script, yes.