FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PEACE, UNDERSTANDING AND TOLERANCE !!!!!!!!

icecool
I’ve been living in The Gambia, West Africa for the last 4 years

Today just went for a quick trip to the shops. When I left my compound, my watchman came to open the gate. He’s a very ordinary Gambian boy, illiterate, very bad English but diligent, helpful and always friendly.

I said to him: “ happy Christmas – I know you are a Muslim but that’s what the white guys are celebrating “.

His response was: “ that’s ok George, WE ARE ALL THE SAME “.

That little boy has more understanding then most of humanity.

HE REALLY MADE MY DAY Very Happy
Soulfire
It's so strange, because I will say "Merry Christmas" to a Jewish friend of mine, and she will simply reply with a "Happy Hanukkah" back. It really is about respect.
agustin
thats it man! Its all about peace and respect. respect for the other whos thinks and feels dofferent form us. I think if the people in this bad world would think a little about this would be much better for sure. Dont you think?
zi1nightman
Hi guy,

yes, i think also it's regarding respect...

here in Egypt we live together christians and muslims and in all our holidays we else celebrate together...

BTW, about 95% of muslims do that not the opposite but the media only shows the ugly face of the events...

and plz agustin tell me what you mean by the "bad world"
smarter
In the note of this thread I would like to mention a small step toward religious tolerance made by king Abdullah of Saudi Arabia.

The Saudi king has made a plea for dialogue among Muslims, Christians and Jews — the first such proposal from a nation with no diplomatic ties to Israel and a ban on non-Muslim religious services and symbols. And where conversion by a Muslim to another religion is punishable by death!!

They say the king has the green light from the top clerics.

Links to Associated Press articles:
Saudi King Calls for Interfaith Dialogue
Religious Leaders Welcome Saudi Proposal

I hope this initiative will not remain only an initiative.

Quote:
Still, it was not clear whether Abdullah's call would be followed by steps in the kingdom to relax the ban on non-Muslim worship services, as well as symbols from other religions, such as crosses and Bibles.

Religious practice is so restricted in Saudi Arabia that even certain Muslim sects, such as Sufis and Shiites, face discrimination, while conversion by a Muslim to another religion is punishable by death.
ocalhoun
Good for that guy (original post)! I'm not sure about the "we're all the same" comment, variety is the spice of life... But he has the right idea.
deanhills
icecool wrote:
I’ve been living in The Gambia, West Africa for the last 4 years

Today just went for a quick trip to the shops. When I left my compound, my watchman came to open the gate. He’s a very ordinary Gambian boy, illiterate, very bad English but diligent, helpful and always friendly.

I said to him: “ happy Christmas – I know you are a Muslim but that’s what the white guys are celebrating “.

His response was: “ that’s ok George, WE ARE ALL THE SAME “.

That little boy has more understanding then most of humanity.

HE REALLY MADE MY DAY Very Happy

This is a nice story. Makes me feel like visiting Gambia. I have heard so many good things about the people in Gambia, absence of crime, good nature, humble people. Wish you could post more about the country and your experiences in it Smile
coolclay
Thats is an awesome story. I have had similar good experiences with other "different" but respectful people. But I have had even more bad experiences with people that discriminate just because of someones religion, or other differences. As many reasons as the rest of the world has to hate Americans, it's really cool to go to some other countries and see how friendly people are. I visited Dominica this past spring, and had so many cool cultural experiences. It was the most amazing place I have ever visited.