FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Virtual Machine software

KHO
Anyone know a good FREE VM setup for linux? I am running Opensuse 10.3 atm, and im in need of a good VM machine setup so I can get windows running on my linux machine for networking and testing purposes.
adeydas
here's the opensuse wiki link to a list of vm's:
http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Virtual_Machines
JayBee
adeydas wrote:
here's the opensuse wiki link to a list of vm's:
http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Virtual_Machines

This is how to run OpenSUSE as guest and other OS as host, but the question was to run OpenSUSE as host and windows as guest. Wink

I recommend virtualbox - http://www.virtualbox.org
or vmware player
KHO
would VMWare player/virtual box run a copy of windows?

And which is easier to set up and more stable/reliable in your opinion?
adeydas
KHO wrote:
would VMWare player/virtual box run a copy of windows?

And which is easier to set up and more stable/reliable in your opinion?

i have tried VMWare on Mandriva 2007 Spring and it worked fine. i ran windows xp with no problems but windows 2k pro sp4 gave some problems with sound. other than that it worked fine. however, i couldn't install or play games on xp. i tried counterstrike and the came would install fine but whenever i tried to run it, it would simply freeze and crash. probably it was a memory problem since i had only 512MB of RAM.
greatfire
i use virtualbox on my windows partition if i need to have acess to linux and dont want to reboot, seems pretty good.
KHO
Ill look into both of these options, thank you both. I dont think I'll be using it for gaming, more of a networking thing since I already have a windows machine devoted to gaming hehe. But it would be nice to have a small windows environment that I could easily set up erase itself with a clone of a fresh install once every few months (or weeks) hehe.
ammonkc
I just want to throw my vote in for VMware. I migrated all of the servers in my datacenter to VMware a while ago. The best decision I've made for my datacenter so far. Its so much easier to manage multiple servers in virtualization. I haven't tried Xen, but I've heard good things about it also.
KHO
ammonkc wrote:
I just want to throw my vote in for VMware. I migrated all of the servers in my datacenter to VMware a while ago. The best decision I've made for my datacenter so far. Its so much easier to manage multiple servers in virtualization. I haven't tried Xen, but I've heard good things about it also.

While I'm sure VMWare is great, its commercial and requires a licensing fee unless you know something I don't.
(Don't bother with trying to get me to use pirated crap)
Though if that post was in reference to the apparently free VMWare player, I am going to attempt to install that first since it is well documented.
infobankr
QEMU is the best open source machine emulator. It was written by the same developer who created ffmpeg and videolan, ie. really good stuff.

QEMU can emulate a bunch of different architectures, and can virtualize on x86 using the KQEMU kernel module.

It is easy to get going on debian and ubuntu, but I'm not sure about SUSE, I'm sure its possible but I don't know the steps.
infobankr
I should also mention that QEMU plays well with VDE2, which is a terrific virtual distributed ethernet program, very very cool.
singh.gurjeet
I would like to draw you attention to the comparison chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_virtual_machines

I would vouch for VMware, at least the free version. And about QEMU, I had read in the past somewhere that it is a bit slow; I tried my hands on it, (the other way around, Linux on Windows), and wasn't very happy with it..

HTH
ammonkc
KHO wrote:
ammonkc wrote:

While I'm sure VMWare is great, its commercial and requires a licensing fee unless you know something I don't.
(Don't bother with trying to get me to use pirated crap)
Though if that post was in reference to the apparently free VMWare player, I am going to attempt to install that first since it is well documented.

Yes the enterprise version of vmware products are commercial, but I'm pretty sure vmware will give you a free license of vmware server and player for non-enterprise use. I think the only difference is it limits the number of virtual machines you can run in the free version (i could be wrong, its been a while since i registered it). but you can request as many free licenses as you want legally.
KHO
So what is the difference between VMWare server and player?
ammonkc
VMware player is only used to run virtual appliances created by other vmware products. VMware player cannot create new virtual machines. VMware server on the other hand can create virtual machines, and run them also. VMware player is fine if a prebuilt vmware image or "virtual appliance" will fit your needs. VMware server will run multiple virtual machines. I have about 5 or 6 linux servers per physical machine in my data room. I'm not sure what the vm limit is. I'm limited by the capabilities of the hardware right now.

from wikipidia:

Quote:
VMware Player is a freeware virtualization software product from VMware, Inc., a subsidiary of EMC Corporation. Player can run guest virtual machines produced by other VMware products; it cannot itself create new virtual machines.

Quote:
VMware Server (formerly GSX Server) is an entry-level server virtualization software suite from VMware, Inc., VMware Server can create, edit, and play virtual machines. It uses a client-server model, allowing remote access to virtual machines
KHO
Thank you very much. But now im faced with another delima.

I can't install VMware because I can't get the kernel-source for my kernel.

Output of uname -r
2.6.24-rc3-git3-67-default

I can't find the kernel-source for that. I remember updating to it a few days ago when suse propmted me to.