FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Here is additional security for your PC

Cddhesh
Hi all i carried out one cute experiment.I use Windows XP with SP2.I was fed up with my friends who were knowing my PC's password.They used to always do something irritating tasks.I made my PC my USB Drive dependent.
What i did was copied boot.ini ,ntdlr, NTDETECT.com files from my operating systems system directory
and made USB as first bootable device by going to registry(You can go to registry by pressing F8 as soon as your PC starts).
Now if anyone starts my PC without USB drive plugged he gets error "boot.ini file could not found windows cannot start.".
Please try out this at your own risk.
Smile
AftershockVibe
Fair enough... changing the password would be easier though!!!
adeydas
or you can make two accounts and give the password for the second account to your friends. that way they won't be able to mess up your work.
KHO
actually, this is a decent idea. However, what happens when you misplace the usb drive? I'm afraid this is just one of those ideas thats not very practical to employ, but all the same, props on figuring this one out.
Cddhesh
I know its good to have two accounts.But what if u don't want anyone to login into your OS.Some of my friends tried their best to start windows in safe mode and to access files to modify by changing the registry through scripts.Its better to have third party security.I told my uncle about this.He bought 8 cd's and did the same thing.