FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

OpenOffice.org

qwyx
OpenOffice.org

OpenSource software. You can write, powerpoint-presentations, excel (calc), and much more!
Download Now!
Peterssidan
I'm using OpenOffice and I think it's good. I recommend it to everyone that doesn't use it.
orcaz
dun realli like open office. it takes a long time to startup and takes up quite a lot of memory.
qwyx
orcaz wrote:
dun realli like open office. it takes a long time to startup and takes up quite a lot of memory.
That's correct.
But for people who don't wants to pay for textwriters,
this is a high quality opensource program that offers all needs you want.
adeydas
qwyx wrote:
orcaz wrote:
That's correct.
But for people who don't wants to pay for textwriters,
this is a high quality opensource program that offers all needs you want.

try abiword, its a free word processor (not office suite though) and i am sure you will like it. its not only lightweight but has got a lot of bells too.
Ecthelion
I'm very happy with openoffice.

You can export everything to use it in office later or even better, make pdf's that everyone can read.
It has all the options that an office suit has, and often has buttons at a better place so you find them more quickly (except if you are used to office of course)
Ranfaroth
I feel much more secure using OpenOffice than M$ Office.
Plus, OOo has more future, supporting for instance the OpenDocument format...
silverdown
I use to use Open Office , but I purchased Office Professional 2007 only because I like the software and it was in my budget for the month. I still download it and keep it on my portable drive just in case someone needs it. I used it for about 4 months and it is great if you can't afford the expensive writers. I also have MS Works , I never use it though. Very Happy
Flarkis
Im a huge can off OpenOffice something i would suject to everyone is the google docs plugin. For those who do not even know what google docs is...its and online work suit with the ability to save files on the web. The google docs plugin is great for backing up files.

Thats my 2 cents,
Markus
dac_nip
sooner open office will dominate, its ability to support open office document format makes it available to cater for a wide arsenal of document files. you don't have to think of licenses.
FriBogdan
The problem is that most people use microsoft products. Almost all major products from this company aren't FREE...but people still use this. The schools in my country learn the kids how to work and develop projects in Microsoft word, power point etc... A few of them can provide a legal licence for Microsoft windows or office, for free, ... so.. what is the point ?

Why not OpenOffice to edit and create documents? Why schools don't learn kids how to work in this software ?

Of course the piracy and illegal use of microsoft products is the solution... if you learn in school about M Office and Windows.

Hm... i'm using openoffice and it is great (i'm a student and i can use microsoft products for free... but still... i use Windows XP just for games and for anything else i'm using Slackware Smile ).
spykE
Well if you can get the real office for free, I know what to pick Wink.
pnalaba1
We use openoffice at work. It works on both linux and Windows, so if everyone in the company uses OpenOffice then there are no problems at all. Also it can output into pdf, so anyone and view it clearly, even if they don't use openOffice.

The only problem I have had is that sometimes doc files created in M$ office look different in OpenOffice (formatting changes a bit sometimes, but not too bad)
pkir
We also use Open Office at work : installed on more than 200 computers (Windows and Linux).

Since release 2.xx it is really a great product, providing everything you need and adding some extras (like a great PDF generator)

Really the best Office software at the moment.

And of course no more licences problems as with Microsoft before.

It is true that on older computers it can be a bit slow (we use at least Celeron 400Mhz/256 Mo RAM), but it is the same with the latest releases of Microsoft Office. On the other hand, instead of buying a Microsoft Office, for thee same price we can buy brand new computers that are able to run Open Office very well Smile
toddler
I use the Openoffice for a long time and finding a software that can be use as microsoft project, do someone kwon where I can download it?
Arnie
I wish it were a bit faster, but otherwise it's nice for a free product. The newer versions of MS Office are horrible, but 97 was great.

AbiWord is great in speed but still lacks some functionality.
Shewolf
FriBogdan wrote:

Why not OpenOffice to edit and create documents? Why schools don't learn kids how to work in this software ?

My school did. This Fall each and very one of us got an Open Office manual, and there's held classes about it as well, I've heard.
The only really sad thing, is that all the teacher's computers still are running MS office. So people have to trasformate all documents into .doc before handing in papers etc. Of course the managemet did not inform us about this issue, so there has been a lot of arguments.

I've used NeoOffice a lot, Open Office for mac. The only problem is, as mentioned, the speed. For smaller stuff I use Bean, which is slightly more than a text editor, but not too much for a un-pluged laptop to handle.
chartcentral
It took a while for me to get used to OpenOffice.org, but currently, I'm doing well in using it. And it's free so I'm not complaining about anything it lacks. Smile
ericjordi
qwyx wrote:
OpenOffice.org

OpenSource software. You can write, powerpoint-presentations, excel (calc), and much more!
Download Now!

dutch: het is een goed programma werkt goed!

english:

it's a good program
tombula
Yes, I think Open Office hold one's ground Microsoft Office. I use OO from 18 months and I don't back to MO.
dirkvb
I would rather use openoffice. But at school everything we do we must do it whit microsoft office. I think it is maybe creating our own monopoly.

Maybe later I'm going to use openoffice. But now not everything you can do whit word, access, ect can i do whit office.

Greetz
Studio Madcrow
dirkvb wrote:
I would rather use openoffice. But at school everything we do we must do it whit microsoft office. I think it is maybe creating our own monopoly.

Maybe later I'm going to use openoffice. But now not everything you can do whit word, access, ect can i do whit office.

Greetz

OpenOffice's Word Processing features are almost identical to those of M$ Word. In fact, that's the only part of OpenOffice where I think people have ever really been trying to keep up in the features race. I certainly agree with you about Access versus OO Base, though.
biljap
I’ve tried OpenOffice few years ago and at first I liked it. It has really great features for free software! But after some time I realized I didn’t feel comfortable like I was while using MS Office and I uninstalled it. Maybe I’ll try it again soon; maybe they made some changes with things I didn’t like…
dandickson
Open Office is great to use although I think they should update the visuals so it doesn't look so old. This is most likely because I like open source stuff because it is easy to edit and comes with updates rather quickly.
{name here}
Ever since I started using LaTeX to make most of my documents, I've had virtually no use for the OpenOffice suite.
andy26
i use open office on my memory stick as a portable app i havent really got used to it yet but it seems to do its job its just really slow on a memory stick.
kicy
Open office is a good replacement when you lose your microsoft word to a hard drive reformat Wink
mehulved
kicy wrote:
Open office is a good replacement when you lose your microsoft word to a hard drive reformat Wink

It is much more useful than that to most people. As it is not many people use all those features of MS Office that are absent in Oo.org. Yeah there are some really nice features that are missing but not that they're indisposable for many. Anyways YMMV, you might find some of those features absent in Oo.org to be very useful.
Ecthelion
{name here} wrote:
Ever since I started using LaTeX to make most of my documents, I've had virtually no use for the OpenOffice suite.

Yeah, LaTeX is cool, but really, you can't expect everyone to use it. I mean, I use it when I want to make very neat documents, but when I just need a simple text, with some fancy things in it, I still use openoffice.
I mean, in LaTeX you have to code everything...

(For people who do not know LaTeX, see it as a code like html, except that LaTeX uses some rules that gives documents a layout that is optimised for easy reading, using special layout rules. It's a bit complicated at first, but you get very nice results. It's also very usefull for document where you need to add special chemical or mathemtical formulas, as it has specail libraries for those. All in all very neat)

Still, concerning openoffice vs M$ Office, openoffice rocks and will probably win at the end. I mean I've heard of several gouvernements, police bureaus etc that change to openoffice, because they can do the samen (and sometimes more), while avoiding very expensive licenses
loonix
Can't recommend OpenOffice enough, yeah sometimes office documents created with MicroSoft Office lose a wee bit formatting during translation but never anything serious that can't be dealt with by a few clickity clicks.
Aiz
I did personally use OpenOffice for a while, when I was waiting to get a copy of Microsoft Office and decided Open Office worked just as well if not better (And it feels like it runs smoother too for some reason. And I used their Math thing for writing out equations for my classes. So I liked it a lot).

But after a while, several factors caused me get rid of OpenOffice. First one is that, I sometime do translation work, and the CAD software I use just refuse to work with OpenOffice's Word, so that's out. Then when I tried Office 2007's word, I noticed their newest ability to type in math functions and equations directly into the word document you are working on with a simple hotkey combo. Although OpenOffice Math was able to make equations, it was nowhere near as convenient. And I felt more comfortable working with Excel than the OpenOffice equivalence.

So yeah, although it was a pity, after that I waved bye to OpenOffice since it just didn't have all of what I needed. =/

However, I do recommend it though, to people who don't need so many strange functions with their world processor and the such.
drowningworld
I reccomend this to everyone its free does everything microsoft word does and its totally free
Studio Madcrow
I have OTHER reasons why I can't use OpenOffice.org. I could care less about equation editing, but the ability to use OTF fonts is kind of an important feature, which OpenOffice happens to lack. Thus, I do my word-processing using the Alpha releases of KWord 2.
bulek
User interface is Microsoft office is much nicer comparing to the one in Openoffice, so for now, I will stay away from OO. But it may be wise choice to use OO in companies with large amount of computers as it is completely free.
LostOverThere
OpenOffice.org is indeed great, but as some have said its a bit slow.

On my old computer (74MhZ, 16mb RAM, 800mb HDD, running Damn Small Linux) I'm using TED for simple word processing. Its as ugly as anything, and lacks many features but for a 14 year old system it works very smoothly and gets the job done.
Studio Madcrow
bulek wrote:
User interface is Microsoft office is much nicer comparing to the one in Openoffice, so for now, I will stay away from OO. But it may be wise choice to use OO in companies with large amount of computers as it is completely free.

The OO.org interface is no worse than classic versions of MS Office (or at least Office 2003), but the newest version actually looks pretty sweet, so I guess that's actually a fair statement these days.

I'd much prefer something simpler like TED, but with support for more modern file formats and fonts to ANY of these mega programs, though.
welshsteve
Although I own licences for both MS Office 2003 and 2007, I use OpenOffice on machines that I don't have licences for, plus in Linux, and it's up there with the very best freeware downloads. Very very good considering it's free. I'd highly recommend it.
HamsterMan
All the schools I'm tech support in run openoffice, on all linux, mac and windows computers. It is indeed great and I hope more people switch to it, and perhaps even donate to make future versions more awesome.