FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

an auto accepter for the host requsets

shall we have a answear bort ?! :D
yes
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
no
80%
 80%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 15

jackiz
i think that it take to long time to get a req accepted. so i think that a bot that lookedd up how many quality postss u have and accepts/reject reqs qould be gr8 !
i mean, this is a good site but the w8in time to host is so long :/:/
rvec
How would a bot check the quality of a post?
An account creator checks post for quality and a bot to do the same would be real hard to make.

The account creator takes a look at the description first and if the rules accept what is written there he goes on to read the posts of the user. The user already has enough posts and points 'cause else he wouldn't be able to apply for hosting. The account creator will, after reading all posts, accept or deny the hosting account and give a reason. This reason can be because of an excessive use of smilies or because the user only makes small nonsense posts, among other things.
adeydas
rvec wrote:
How would a bot check the quality of a post?
An account creator checks post for quality and a bot to do the same would be real hard to make.

The account creator takes a look at the description first and if the rules accept what is written there he goes on to read the posts of the user. The user already has enough posts and points 'cause else he wouldn't be able to apply for hosting. The account creator will, after reading all posts, accept or deny the hosting account and give a reason. This reason can be because of an excessive use of smilies or because the user only makes small nonsense posts, among other things.

its not impossible!!! it can be done if a fixed set of rules is set.
rvec
I am sure it's possible. But even a good spell and grammar check for all forums (including the language forums and the ability to spot in what forums the posts are) is really hard to implement. Not to mention thinking of a formula (number of posts, quality, use of smilies, length,...) to make the difference between a good and bad poster.
Bockman
And add a google search to look for copy/pasted material while we're at it....

If it was an easy task it would be done already guys, but fortunately "bot's" can't be trusted with everything.

I know the idea was to make our service better, but unfortunately i don't see a way for the bot to do what Account Creators are doing right now.

Be Well Cool
tidruG
This cannot be done, period.
A bot will work only on its given set of rules, which is a disaster for 2 reasons:

1. We cannot clearly define a set of rules which make a post a quality post.

2. If these set rules are ever figured out, members could just very easily change thier posting style to cater exclusively to these kind of posts.

You could suggest AI, but AI bots cannot be trusted for something as important as request handling, and they have a very large and very long learning curve as well.

I would have closed this topic, but I'll keep it open as I see other members of staff posting in here.
Blaster
The thing a bot could be good for is if it looked and saw for example users only posted something like the following

• Very Happy
  • Oh thats cool
  • Welcome

and have it count out posts that are of no good quality in people. In tern making less work for you guys. So it like wouldn't allow you to post a request untill you had like 10 posts of say something of good quality like a post like this.
Bockman
Blaster wrote:
The thing a bot could be good for is if it looked and saw for example users only posted something like the following

• Very Happy
  • Oh thats cool
  • Welcome

and have it count out posts that are of no good quality in people. In tern making less work for you guys. So it like wouldn't allow you to post a request untill you had like 10 posts of say something of good quality like a post like this.

Although it would ease up the work, it still would be hard to implement. And since we check all the posts at once (Bondings already did a great job there) we can easily pass through those posts.
But it's an idea for the future Wink

Be Well Cool
scotty
Just accept everything. Provided there is no cost of time to create a hosting account ie. everything is automated, just check for 5 posts (the spam one's get reported anyway) and 10 points then give them the account. Frihost loses nothing because it doesn't cost you anything to create the account (time wise). Delete account according to normal procedure.

If their initial posts are Spammy they will eventually get deleted and you can retract the hosting. If they are spammy they will probably abandon their account anyway, nobody has physically read the posts just to see if they are good, everybody wins. Razz
Blaster
you would still have to go in and take the time to delete the account which is kind of hard and not needed. It would slow down the process and then the servers would fill up a lot quicker. Its not only the posts that are a problem. What about people not abiding by the rules and they post 100 posts of good quality. Then they would get it. Or if a user is getting another account because of signing up with another forum account.

Also something like this could be abused. What if the person wants to host a proxy. Now they request for hosting and host the proxy. Now within a day someone uses this proxy to hack a website. Then the server would be shut down and suspended. I've seen it happen before.

Or what if they go and host something else illegal.

I know i'm not staff here but looking at it from a staff point of view in reality it is even more work. There is a lot involved with it. A lot more then you think.
rvec
also spammy posts aren't deleted, just moved to the spam-can. This means the user will still have the same amount of posts and points and will still keep it's hosting.
Wolf1918
Hello,
While I would also like to see a faster approval (or even instant approval Laughing ) for web hosting, - I have to agree that a bot just isn't going to do the job. Maybe some day when the AI is sophisticated enough or advanced enough, then it might work. But right now a bot just can't tell the difference between spam and trash posts and something with some value to it. So far, only a human can make that determination. Personally, I'm glad there are some things that STILL do need a human touch.

In my situation, a faster approval would be a huge bonus since I have both computer and internet problems, it would allow me to get my site online while I do have a some what stable connection ... for a change.

Chad
guitarcrazy087
I don't think anyone likes the wait. Why not have instant acceptance, and if a user doesn't post enough, they're account is deleted. and if people aren't posting quality posts, or whatever, the moderators are there and can do something about it. i don't know what the moderator privileges are, but can't you suspend an account for so long?

just my two cents Very Happy
rvec
guitarcrazy087 wrote:
I don't think anyone likes the wait. Why not have instant acceptance, and if a user doesn't post enough, they're account is deleted. and if people aren't posting quality posts, or whatever, the moderators are there and can do something about it. i don't know what the moderator privileges are, but can't you suspend an account for so long?

just my two cents Very Happy

All accounts are deleted manually, so instant acceptance would create a huge workload and a huge amount of extra recourses used. I'll -close- this topic now, if anyone has a really bright suggestion I'll reopen it.
Vrythramax
I think this is all a conspiracy to get me fired. Laughing