FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Modernization of the 'Third World'

Drawingguy
While the world was still in the hands of imperialism and colonialism, a lot of countries, whether they be in Africa, Asia, or even the Caribbean and South America, were undeveloped. They didn't have to industrialize, since all they were sought after for was their resources, for which they had a stable market. I mean, I think nations only industrialize and modernize out of necessity; think about Russia making its move from it's serfdom to its steel-industrialization, I think under Peter the Great.

Anyway, especially in the latter half of the twentieth century, these former 'breadbaskets' have been thrust into an inhospitable position, where they were forced to industrialize, or have a severely lagging economy. Africa, for example, while in many places it has only slowly industrialized, it does have it's glistening metropolises (or is it metropoli? I never know) in parts. China too, while never really a colony, has recently began to really pick up it's economy, and is a viable world power, thanks to industrialization.

The only question I have, is this. All these places grow, develop, and get richer, as they all industrialize. But the percentage of people who profit isn't as large as one would hope. The gap between the rich and the poor only grows as many of these countries industrialize, and there's no end in sight for this distressing trend. How, if it happens, will this change? Are these countries just going to end up with highly polarized elements of society? And if so, does anyone see any sort of revolution?
Coclus
This is a good, but almost unanswerable question. But you can see what happened for example in Europe throughout industrialization. There were revolutions, wars, strikes, peaceful solutions like in England, anything can happen as you see. As a whole, I think, almost all people are having a share of economical development like it is taking place in china, but you are definitely right when you say that the gap between rich and poor grows. I think the American society is a good mirror for what is going to happen in many countries.
HereticMonkey
The "industrialization out of necessity" fails when you consider America; there just wasn't a major need to industrialize, especially as America (as opposed to Europe) had resources, a reasonably content population, and plenty of room to go to when things got bad.

A better explanation would be that people wanted the advances that industrialization, and that gave a certain appeal above and beyond the issues that it brought...

HM
Drawingguy
At the same time, America isn't the most common of cases. How many other countries span a continent? I think their industry came more from their European contact, so you're right, but they only became a formidable world power after all the other powers destroyed each other in the World Wars.
WhistleTurning
It is not suprising that the industry in places like India are now becomming world leaders and have started buying up the industries based in the more developed countire. British Steel has been a target of Indian Steel companies and now we hear that Jaguar and Landrover are to be sold off by Ford (not supprised really as Ford seem to be becomming a less and lees force in the world car markets) to Tata an Indian firm.

In fact through out history "developed" countries stagnate and are overtaken by a more up and comming countries using more modern technologies, where the older ones are still using the latest methods of 50 years ago. Rome, UK and now I am afrain the States are following down the same route especially with the older industries of Iron and Steel, and being over taken by China etc.
Drawingguy
That's a pretty good point. I guess that the more established countries have a tendency to stick to their traditional means, since those means were what gave those countries their power in the first places. I mean, look at the Ottoman Empire, which started off amazingly, in terms of military technology, but as time went on, they refused to change, and thus, the empire crumbled.

Still, it's sad- you would think that powerful, wealthy, developed countries would try to keep up with the times. And you know what? They do. The US isn't trying to stagnate, it's just that China is growing quicker. Why?
ocalhoun
^Well, nobody tries to stagnate. But if you're already at the top, why try harder? The problem with that is that once somebody overtakes you, it is likely too late to get back to the top.
anilerk
third world didnt pass the events like europe.
europe made colonialism.took sources of third world.

third world does not have this chance.

they are trying to grow up.
but they have to live events like europe.
it is impossible for now.
so it will take for a long time to grow.

endustrialism is utopia for these countries. (exclude india and cihna)
especially for a short time.
MaxStirner
Quote:
... nations only industrialize and modernize out of necessity ...
Drawingguy

I see little proof to substantiate this statement. Some cultures might find industrialization a bit more difficult to implement than others, especially if a capitalist "laissez faire" economy contradicts their political, social or religious systems / beliefs.

Quote:
... Russia making its move from it's serfdom to its steel-industrialization ...
Drawingguy

19th century Russia is not a bad example of the attempt of a nation or culture to catch up with industrialized nations. The reasons these attempts either failed, fell well short of their goals, or were at least much more painful than expected are

• the industrial revolution in Western Europe was a spear-head in economic development and could dictate its own pace without having to compete with other, stronger opponents
  • a capitalist laissez-faire approach to industrialization is necessary

Quote:
... especially in the latter half of the twentieth century, these former 'breadbaskets' have been thrust into an inhospitable position, where they were forced to industrialize ...
Drawingguy

I think they are not so much forced to industrialize, but they are forced to do so not at their own pace but at a speed dictated by others.

Quote:
... the gap between rich and poor grows ... I think the American society is a good mirror for what is going to happen in many countries ...
Coclus

This is probably true, although with exceptions and variations. Being a staunch EU advocate, I am hoping that we will be able to find ways for closing this gap.

Quote:
... through out history "developed" countries stagnate and are overtaken by a more up and comming countries ... I am afrain the States are following down the same route ...
WhistleTurning

Perhaps they are, but this is certainly not a fait-accompli. With dwindling natural ressources, global ecological challenges and a developing social conscience, new paths for development (but not necessarily growth) are opening up to those who wish to tread them.

See also: E. Callenbach, "The Hollowing-Out of the american Empire", "Ecotopia" http://www.freecascadia.org/index.php/site/the_hollowing_out_of_the_american_empire/

Max (<-- will stop now before he gets ejected from the forum for spamming Smile)
tijn01
When Africa got colonised they got a sniff of modernisation and european standards. In Europe this was a long slow process, in Africa however this was a very quick process (as the Europeans invaded). Now that the colonies are no longer they want it the European way, however this is a slow process and can't be rushed, thats why there are problems now in africa
deanhills
tijn01 wrote:
When Africa got colonised they got a sniff of modernisation and european standards. In Europe this was a long slow process, in Africa however this was a very quick process (as the Europeans invaded). Now that the colonies are no longer they want it the European way, however this is a slow process and can't be rushed, thats why there are problems now in africa

This is so very true. All you have to do is fly over Zanzibar. All those beautiful European type whitewashed houses and few of them remaining with roofs on. When the colonists left, everything moved backwards. Think this is the theme in most African countries, except perhaps South Africa. Hence why South Africa is currently struggling with a brand-new phenomenon called xenophobia as evidenced at the Website below:

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/Xenophobia/Home

When independence came to South Africa in 1997, there was a massive influx of illegal migrants from all over Africa. This came to a head during the last few weeks with rioting and violence.