FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A way to get users to read the rules

ocalhoun
Here's a way you could get users to read the rules before their first post:
Put the rules into the activation (after registration) e-mail, and make the link inconspicuous enough that they at least have to look through the rules in order to find it. That way, people cannot post without at least glancing through the rules!

I should think that would be much more effective than a sticky with 'read this before posting' in the title.
rvec
I know (experience Razz ) users won't read the whole mail but will just search for a link to click on which has some code in it. The only way to let them read is to give them the link to the faq, rules and stickies and ask them some questions before they are allowed to post. Although I don't think that would be such a good idea Razz .
AftershockVibe
Heh, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't help. Most (if not all) of the rules are common sense anyway.
If you don't have sensible then you're not going to read the rules even if you moderators volunteer to travel the globe stapling the rules to new users' heads.

Hmm... perhaps I should patent that.
Cool
RubySlasher
I think this:

would work.
Blaster
I've read the rules here a lot... I actually fixed some problems with them (spelling/grammatical problems)

The best way would have to be watt mathiaus had on his site. It forced you to at least look at the rules first. If you could modify that to make it so that they had to stay on that page for like 5 minutes before they could post that could help.
qwyx
Put a code from 5 or 6 digits into your rulez and when someone need to register they have to find the code in the rulez.
rvec
lol yeah they'll like that Razz
tidruG
I still think our way is the best.
Give them the links, ask them to read the rules. When they don't warn them. When they still don't, ban them. Razz
Blaster
yea i agree with that tirdug. On forums i work at though i don't run into them problems. You personally know what i'm talking about. We see very little rule breaking like that. We get a fair amount of posts a day too. So who knows.