FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

slow start up

billybob
my comp takes ages to start up anyone got any ideas thanks
asiddle423
theres a few ways you can tackle this problem

my first option would be to disable some programs that start with your windows start-up such as msn messenger and office tools etc. what ever you don't need to start when you turn your pc on.

the way to change start-up options is to click run from the start menu.
then type msconfig
and click ok
then click the startup tab at the top
then disable all the programs that you don't need to start

WARNING!!
do not disable things you don't know about because this could restrict your computer from operatings devices properly
eg. i have a tablet (drawing pad) connected and if i disable the tablet then it will not respond

if you computer still responds slowly after this procedure send me a reply and ill try to help you further

andy
dinja
all you have to do is Format your hard disk and install your Windows. If you aren't able to do this, then you may defragment your computer. This may take a long time. You may also clean your registry, delete some programms and free your diskspace. But the best choice is to format your hard disk. Very Happy
Gerardus™
Do as described in first reply. Turning off some of the programmes running in the back will make your windows run faster.
But i don't know how much ram you have installed. If running xp and having 256mb ram or less, it could also be that your windows is running on virtual memory only causing it to slow down.
So if that's the case you could buy more ram. It will result in quicker startup of your programs and a better computer performance. Wink
Alacarde
You have to go all out, lol. I agree with the formatting, just save everything that you need to a cd. Then format.

Afterwards, load up your Windows OS, which hopefully is Windows Xp Pro, since it is more secure, and is just better, I think. Then download CCleaner, (http://www.ccleaner.com), AntiVir (http://www.free-av.com), and Windows AntiSpyware Beta. (http://www.micrsoft.com). After you do that, you will have AntiVirus and Spyware protection, as well as a great cleaner. (It includes registry and hard drive. It's really actually good.

And you should use FireFox, it will help keep your computer free of viruses and spyware.

If you don't want to Format, just try all of these things. They will help. Also do the startup thing. Cleaning the registry makes computers a lot faster.

But don't buy RAM. I am using only 64 MB and my computer loads faster than most peoples who don't use this stuff.
budazz
i think the hard disk is broken...i encountered this problem before... and i found out that my hard disk is broken...so the startup takes too long to load the window...

option2:
virus!!!!....

option3:
too many to load in the startup boot...hehehe

check it!!!... Very Happy
waiteck
If nothing helps, take a backup of your important computer files. AND its time for a full reformat. Besides that, you might wanna include ur computer specs..
Alacarde
The harddrive is broken? Just run ScanDisk and it will tell you. To run it:

Start -> My Computer ->right click hard drive -> Properties -> Tools -> Check Now

And if ScanDisk says it can't recover your hard drive, then it's messed up pretty bad. It may take a long time to run if your drive has a lot of damage to it. (After doing that, you should defragment...)

//EDIT: I am assuming you are using Windows XP.
Harrowed
A lot of people haven't taken into account the possibility of Pagefile fragmentation etc..

I recomend using a freeware program from SysInternals website - PageDefrag.
Check how many fragments the files are in.

Then there is an awesome Professional Defragmentation program from O & O..
O & O Defrag Professional v8.0 - Has an Offline Drafrag option where on next boot it will defragment your HD without loading up all the OS files, once they're loaded they can't be defragged and appear as system files.

Give them a go along with a nice registry cleaner etc..
Cragger
Alacarde wrote:
But don't buy RAM. I am using only 64 MB and my computer loads faster than most peoples who don't use this stuff.

Rightt....Dont buy ram? Thats probably the silliest thing i have heard in a topic like this..

'From the Microsoft Site'

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

From what i gather you basically just have junk loading at startup, as the first poster said, a simple msconfig should be used and all programs that you dont need should be set to off, and then a restart should speed things up.

If this doesnt work i suggest running AdAware, or SpyWatch.
Neus
whats with all the full reinstalls and formating and such? hes just got a slow boot... usually thats if your pretty close to the memory limit and have quite a few programs installed that load on startup.. doing the msconfig and removing some of these programs will greatly improve your performance if you were close to memory limit...

system specs are helpful
Cragger
Not sure, He loads 5 seconds slower....

Everyone shouts 'Format!', must be the easy way out of things..
waiteck
Neus wrote:
whats with all the full reinstalls and formating and such? hes just got a slow boot... usually thats if your pretty close to the memory limit and have quite a few programs installed that load on startup.. doing the msconfig and removing some of these programs will greatly improve your performance if you were close to memory limit...

system specs are helpful

Err.. Sometimes the computer is so messed up by viruses, programs and ads.. Which affects the startup time.. So if teh computer is really so messy, its recommended to do a reformat.
Neus
i find reformatting as a last resort... considering the time it takes to backup the data, find the origional instalation disks (im not good with disks.. i loose them so easy Razz ) then install, then bring your data back, reinstall what you want, update everything, set all your settings to how you want it....

that takes alot longer then fighting the the virus... so only if i fight it for a loonng time and cant get rid of it will i reformat... but otherwise im gonna use spybot search n destroy, adaware, various antivirus programs, scans, safe mode, hijack this, etc...

then again i know what im doing so that is possible.. if you dont know what you are doing you can seriously mess up your computer yourself trying to get rid of the stuff Wink

i was just commenting how the guy just said his startup was slower and its almost immediate format suggestions from you guys... if he's low on memory id suggest upgrade, also remove all the programs you dont need with msconfig on the startup tab... but make sure to only remove stuff you know, so i suggest research on google if you dont know what it is the program does.. most stuff like quick time and junk auto starts up and it can waste so many resources of your computer...

anyways, more info from billybob would help Wink
Omego2K@
Few things you can do:

1. As recommended by other posters, remove uneeded programs from startup

2. Defrag

3. If your hardrive is close to being full, delete some uneeded crap. When you're hardrive has too much stuff on it, it makes the indexes longer, so longer searches for programs and such, and defraging has less of an impact.

-----NOT RECOMMENDED IF YOU DONT KNOW HOW-----

4. Overclock your RAM/CPU, even by a small margin, drammatically increases performance, trust me.
orcaz
You should scan your computer with an antispyware. A spyware may be lagging your computer. Secondly, if no spyware found, go to run --> regedit --> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Delete any entries that you think you do not need to startup. Do not anyhow delete if you don't know anything. You may want to copy the whole list on this forum and let us see what are rubbish processes. If none of these works, defrag/reformat your computer.
limcopy
try to disable some undesireable program ! at the "run" and type msconfig and at the startup tabbar and untick some program !
budazz
i think you have to kill those not needed programs...and if still the problem persist...try to reformat it....if the problem still there....try t obuy a new hard disk,...:B Smile
shobair
MSCONFIG IS THE ULTIMATE ANSWER IT SOLVED MY PROBLEM AS WELL
n0obie4life
http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13011

Read the rules.

Point 2I.

-close-