FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Strange Mysql-database

BlackSkad
I have made 2 mysql-datases: 1 for my forum and 1 for my mainsite. In cPanel I see both of them and everything works normal. But when I access phpMyAdmin I see 3 databases!
Two from my own and 1 database "Test" which is filled with tables like "spip_..." It is impossible for me to delete this database. Does anyone knows what this is? It's realy strange.

EDIT: after looking in the tables, it looks like somekind of French forum-db. The only user has this French e-mail: elkharbili_marwane@yahoo.fr Maybe the server that went a little crazy and switch it to the wrong account or a hacker?
Bondings
BlackSkad wrote:
I have made 2 mysql-datases: 1 for my forum and 1 for my mainsite. In cPanel I see both of them and everything works normal. But when I access phpMyAdmin I see 3 databases!
Two from my own and 1 database "Test" which is filled with tables like "spip_..." It is impossible for me to delete this database. Does anyone knows what this is? It's realy strange.

I suppose that you can safely delete it. If the server goes down, then we'll know who to blaim. Wink
BlackSkad
That is the problem my dear Bondings, it is impossibe for me to delete it. It's not in the c-panel overview, and I can't figure out how to do it in phpMyAdmin
Bondings
Then just leave it there lol. If you can't delete it, then it won't take up your space. And it won't do any harm, in my opinion.
BlackSkad
Apearantly, the database belongs to this site: http://supjapscrapper.frihost.net/
Maybe you should take a look at the sql-server, because that doesn't seems right to me Laughing
Bondings
Thanks for insisting; that database and writable was accessible by everyone. I now removed it.
althalus
Bondings, maybe you should inform users that a database named "test" will be visible to every user browsing with phpMyAdmin?

It doesn't take up your sql-space, and it's not counted as "your" database so you don't have to worry really, but the one using it might show information he really didn't want anyone to see.

Is there a way to deny someone to create a test database? Maybe create one which is empty and "lock" it? Wink
BlackSkad
It's gone now, that database. Bondings deleted it yesterday evening, so nobody will see it anymore. No need to inform any members Smile
If you still see a "test"-database (which you shouldn't) just inform Bondings Smile
BlackSkad
Bondings, we need your help again. Another TEST-db appeared in my mysql listing! maybe check it again.
Bondings
Yeah, I removed it now.
cambridge
after creating my first db, in phpmyadmin i have the second also named "test" , belonging to Nathan Chan, nathan_chan(at)umail.ucsb.edu, http://www.nathanchan.frih.net

who is nathan chan and why his database is at my account?
n0xvb
I believe the test database is shipped with mysql, I've always just secured access to it and left it. It is possible that it contained the initial authorization tables for the initial mysql install and config.

Jay
n0obie4life
The test database comes with mySQL!

On localhost and other hosts I've been to, they all have the database "test".

It shouldn't be removed IMO and should just be ignored.
Bondings
One of my monitoring scripts uses it, so that's why I can't remove the test database.
smokey4life
9 times out of 10 hosts will have a test DB just to insure that everything is linked properly, there is actually a mod function to disable this on most server software. When enabled it will show a "test" DB if everything is working properly. (This isnt allways true for all hosting software)
cambridge
the strange thing is, these 'test' databases contain real data from real people - with emails. existing (!!!) url's.
cambridge
today I can see new table at "my" test database. it means someone uses it.

QUESTION:
I can see somebody's else db.
IS THAT MEAN, THAT SOMEONE CAN LOOK AT MY DATABASES?
Bondings
cambridge wrote:
today I can see new table at "my" test database. it means someone uses it.

QUESTION:
I can see somebody's else db.
IS THAT MEAN, THAT SOMEONE CAN LOOK AT MY DATABASES?

No, they can't look at your databases, unless you put your data in the test database.
n0obie4life
Don't be stupid and use the "test" database. As long as the database has the

<user>_<name>, only the administrators and you can see it.

<user> = Your directadmin username
<name> = The database name you gave her

I learnt that SQL Databases are female too