FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

LG 8600 phone. custom ringtones pls?

djcaution
I refuse to pay for ringtones! I have a Telus LG 8600 chocolate phone. It's my first cellphone I've had again in yrs so I'm a bit out of the loop. Can anybody help me with putting stuff on my phone like ringtones I cut out of mp3's and stuff like that? Any tips at least are appreciated
djcaution
anybody? Question
misterXY
well for starters man, you'll have to use the bluetooth option added onto your pc. Ringtones... well i don't give that out but "Google" it up but becareful Shocked
aningbo
do u have bluetooth or data cable? how do u usually transfer your files?

haven't you gone through the manual yet? its time u do it.
misterXY
aningbo wrote:
do u have bluetooth or data cable? how do u usually transfer your files?

haven't you gone through the manual yet? its time u do it.

there is no external memory so you wont go far
ForceRun
I just use a audio editing program to shorten the MP3 file to make my ring tones, if you can't fuigue how do do that then I guess you are going to have to pay for them.
misterXY
ForceRun wrote:
I just use a audio editing program to shorten the MP3 file to make my ring tones, if you can't fuigue how do do that then I guess you are going to have to pay for them.

Well depends on which company. Telus isn't bad but when i was with Rogers they wanted about 7 bucks a ringtone... Mad
So in some cases better off trying to figure out how. Shocked
djcaution
I've scoured the internets and this is apparently the only way for that particular phone

Quote:
these methods are for the TELUS Flip Chocolate ONLY. I will thus be using the tocatta method for custom ringtones as this is the only known method right now.

Finally, configuring bluetooth to access the filesystem on the 8600 is a piece of cake. Just follow these instructions!!!

CONFIGURING TO USE BLUETOOTH

1) If you don't already have a BT dongle, get one, you kinda need it to connect your phone. This will give your computer a bluetooth connection through USB (i am using one made my microsoft, came with my BT mouse).

2) THIS IS AN IMPORTANT ONE!
On your phone, go MENU > SETTINGS > OTHERS > DATA SETUP > PC CONNECTION > BLUETOOTH
(not sure if this makes a difference but its how i configured my phone)

3) Next, pair the phone with your computer (I can't tell you how to do this one because everyone's dongle comes with different software. But the thing that you do need to have as an end result is under the available services of the phone, once it is paired properly, is a recognized com port for the serial port (SPP) service (mine is COM 5, this seems to be the most common port). You will need to remember this com port later for when you configure Bitpim. Without successfully completing step three, bitpim will not work!!

4) Now once you have paired your phone with your computer and you know the com port the serial port service is functioning on you can now tell bitpim how to connect to the phone.

FIRST...What am i using
- BITPIM Version 0.9.13 (official)
- I do have the USB driver for the phone installed (not sure again if this makes a difference but thats how i did it)

5) In bitpim go to EDIT > SETTINGS

6) Under PHONE TYPE choose LG-VX8600
ASIDE: i am using the verison version of this, currently as there is no telus version out, for those who are going WTF right now, just ignore this aside.

7) Next under COM PORT on the right side there is a browse button, you do not need your phone connected, this will just browse all your com ports for bluetooth services that you can connect to.

Cool Be patient, this can take a while, once you have your list you want to choose STANDARD SERIAL OVER BLUETOOTH LINK (COMX) with the X in the com being the com port your phone is on that you recorded earlier.

VERY IMPORTANT ASIDE: You should have two Standard over serial BT links to choose from. For example on my machine one is COM 5, the other, COM 6. DO NOT choose the secondary port as this is the secondary link to your phone and will not allow you to connect properly. For those who want to know what this port is, your ports for your phone to connect through BT are one way for transmitting data, thus, one is for incoming data, the other, for outgoing data. However you just need to specify one for bitpim (ie. the primary port).

9) Highlight the correct com port and click OK, you should now see right next to COM PORT in the white box, the com port number that you want to connect to.

10) Once you have these things configured you are ready to connect to your phone through BT. Click OK to save your settings.

11) Go to VIEW > VIEW FILESYSTEMS and check that menu item off. Once you do this you should see the filesystem selection popup on the left side
right above LOG.

12) Click on the left side filesystem icon, then in the next window to the right you should see a folder popup with a plus sign to the left of it.

13) Click on the plus sign to expand the file listing on your phone (this is when bitpim will try to connect to your phone) BE PACIENT!!

14) If a bunch of folders popup in the same window then you did it! If not, curse the world a little bit and read over the instructions to make sure you didn't miss anything.

THE TOCATTA CUSTOM RINGTONE METHOD

1) First go on to the browser and download the free ringtone tocatta from TELUS.

2) Next pick your fav song to have as a ringtone, cut it up using an audio editing program and save it as an mp3. I try to also drop the decibel volume of the song about -6db so as to not have the song sound distorted as it plays from the tiny speaker in the phone.

3) On your computer go, START > SETTINGS > CONTROL PANEL > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW tab

4) Under files and folders uncheck HIDE EXTNSIONS OF KNOWN FILETYPES, click OK to save that setting.

5) Next go to where you saved your mp3 ringtone and RIGHT CLICK the file and choose RENAME.

6) Next rename the file exactly "tocatta.mid" (without the quotes) and hit ENTER.

7) Windows should then ask you if you want to change the extension of the file and you should then say YES. Your file should now be called tocatta.mid, don't worry if it doesn't play anymore it doesn't matter. Windows just doesn't know it's an MP3.

ASIDE: Mac users, your operating system handles file extensions differently so i'm not sure if this same method would work, so currently this is a WINDOWS ONLY method. Perhaps a MAC user could help me out in a later post.

Cool Next fire up Bitpim and access the filesystem (for instructions to do this, see above). Go to brew > 16452 > mds. You should now see your originally downloaded tocatta.mid file. Right click on that file in the far right window and at this point if you want to save it go ahead. Then from that same menu click OVERWRITE.

9) Bitpim will ask you for your file and just point it to your newly created custom ringtone call tocatta.mid then click OPEN.

10) BE PACIENT!! It might take a while to transfer the file, you'll know it has completed when the circle at the very bottom left of the Bitpim program window changes from RED (BUSY) to GREEN (READY).

11) Once the file has transferred, POWER CYCLE your phone (press END to turn it off, wait 3 seconds, or if your really anal, pull the battery out and put it back in, the turn the phone back on).

12) Go to MENU > MUSIC & MEDIA > RINGTONES and try to play your new tocatta ringtone.

CUSTOM TELUS MUSIC PLAYER USER INTERFACE

Enjoy the custom space themed interface made for the Chocolate Flip. Just grab the file 11.jar from the folder brew > ams > 11 and follow these instructions to have a little fun!

1) Save the file 11.jar to your computer, don't forget to back up a second copy as we are going to modify this one.

2) Change the extension of the file from .jar to .zip to open it (again instructions on how to change file extensions can be found in the ringtone tutorial above). Unzip the files to a folder.

3) Download the new theme pack file from here...
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R9UVFDKR

4) Unzip the files to a folder and copy them to the other unzip folder containing the original files from the 11.jar file off the phone.

5) Windows will ask to replace some files and just say YES.

6) Once the files have successfully copied, zip the files in the folder up in a zip file.
NOTE: zip up the files ONLY, do not copy the folder that the files are in back into another zip file so as to have that folder "nested" in the zip file. Basically this means, once you have re-ziped everything up, if you open that zip file you see all the files that were just like in the original .jar file when you first opened it. If you open your new zip file and see a folder your the reason why i had to write this note!!

7) Change the extension back to .jar so your file should be once again called 11.jar with the new skin contents.

Cool Upload to the phone using the same replacement method mentioned above in the ringtone tutorial. Basically, rather than replacing the tocatta.mid file your now replacing the 11.jar file in the same fashion.

9) POWER CYCLE your phone, open Mobile music and enjoy!
misterXY
NICE!!!
ForceRun
Did it work for you? There are websites that will edit your music to ringtone lenght for you...
Agent ME
I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it without Bluetooth - I have the same type of phone. There's a feature to record sounds, and if you check the options you can set any sound you record to be a ringtone.
You can also send and receive sound files.
If you go to http://www.vzwpix.com and log in, you can upload a file such as an .mp3, and send it to yourself. Then on the phone, save the sound file from the message to the phone, and then set it as a ringtone.
flimsy
djcaution wrote:
I refuse to pay for ringtones! I have a Telus LG 8600 chocolate phone. It's my first cellphone I've had again in yrs so I'm a bit out of the loop. Can anybody help me with putting stuff on my phone like ringtones I cut out of mp3's and stuff like that? Any tips at least are appreciated

Hi,

Get a free ride of vringo.com and get yourself introduced to the world of phone video sharing and avail the exquisite Free mobile phone ringtones