FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

VPN Services?

ddoonie
Has anyone used Vpn services? Being that a lot of internet providers over here are starting to cap internet speeds, i have been looking towards the VPN services. Seems positive overall, other than being a cost, but do any of you have first hand experience? Does it successfully beat this speed capping? Not to mention additional security etc... Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot

Darryl
otiscom
What do you want to use it for?
Do you know what VPN is?
ddoonie
I dont know all the specifics of VPN services, but i do know what i can use it for. All my internet activity is sent through an encrypted tunnel originating from my VPN host...
silverdown
VPN is Virtual Private Network which makes a tunnel from you to another host or network allowing others to join the network as well providing that have the correct authorization. I use Open VPN to connect to my computer when I am away from home. It also tricky to setup if you don't understand it.
ddoonie
Yes, but subscribing to a VPN service will create a tunnel to them, and from them wherever i would like to go... no?
otiscom
The way I did it, using Ultra VNC, was to set up a free DDNS (like dyndns.com).
This way I can see my PC from anywhere using my DDNS name.

Its then easy to control your PC, tranfer files both ways and more.
Another one to try is Remotely Anywhere, although unlike Open or Ultra VNC it's not free.
infobankr
VNC and VPN are totally different things. VNC = virtual network computing - kind of like KVM (keyboard video mouse) over a network, but not exactly.

VPN =virtual private network, and the best thing I've found to learn about (and use in production) VPNs from is m0n0wall and pfSense. Check those out and you'll learn a lot about VPNs.
toxaminsk
You can try this VPN for anonymous surfing, p2p, country-limited services (for example TV)
kebrum.com
zhybsc
use the open source software : openswan,openswan.org