FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Check out this band

charisco
If you would give this band a listen and tell me what you think of their sound. I am managing these guys right now and need to find out if they are something people will want to listen to or not. http://www.myspace.com/believinginautumn
Nutteloos
The instrumental parts sound okay, but the vocals are a real turn-down for me - perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong scene here though. Smile
catscratches
Yeah, the play kind of good but the singing isn't as great and you can hear that the recording tools aren't top quality.
KatanaSky
Thousands May Fall

Love the guitar, drums, and bass... but I'm not sure about the vocals.

Whatever You're Going Through

LOVE the keyboard intro and how the guitar comes in (reminds me of Linkin Park). I do like this one - the vocals were pretty good as well ...this is the type of song I'd listen to (I'd back off on the screaming though just a little bit).

A Nation To Bleed For

LOVE the guitar part, bass sounds really nice as well and drums seems flawless on all these songs. A bit too much screaming for my taste (but that's only because I'm not that into that).

Living Water

This one is my favorite of the four tracks on the page. LOVED the guitar, vocals great, ...but again, I'd lay off the screaming it just doesn't sound that cool.

This band has some obvious potential and I'm sure there are going to be listeners out there, just gotta find the right crowd. Not my usual cup of tea, but they sound alright.
charisco
Thanks for all the comments so far. I know there has to be more people out there just dying to put in their 2cents worth. The thing about this band is they are real young, ages ranging from 16-20 and the recording you hear was done by them with their home PC. They will be going into the studio probably in the next month to record a single.
froginabox
For a basement recording, the track quality is pretty good. The songs are definitely there composition-wise, a few tweaks a good producer might make, but there are some other things that bug me:

Thousands May Fall -
The mix could definitely use more body as far as the guitar is concerned. Less of the clean vox when they are layered with the screaming, maybe put a touch less reverb on the clean as well for the chorus part.

Drums need to be a bit more punchy, they're kinda dead at the moment...

If you're going to use a keyboard for the intro to "What You've Got Going..." I would suggest it be softer or just use a different patch. Look for something a bit more.... erm... haunting. If you have Native Instrument's program Absynth I would highly suggest "Garden Piano" or "Quiet Afternoon Piano." The normal grand patch is a bit too sterile for this track. If you do use a normal piano I would suggest taking the attack down considerably and trying to fatten up the low midrange as much as possible to make it fit the rest of the tune.

Overall, the guitars need to be thicker, more full to match the style - hardcore recordings are loud, obnoxious, and in your face, thick and full with more punch than Mike Tyson. I also didn't hear much bass, but I'll put that off to the Myspace encoding algorithm.
ddukki
Do these guys have a Purevolume account? My myspace hasn't been working since something happened to my router.
charisco
ddukki wrote:
Do these guys have a Purevolume account? My myspace hasn't been working since something happened to my router.

We still have to get their Purevolume completed, here is another place to hear them http://www.shoutlife.com/believinginautumn
legion
"This quartet is determined to share that awesome life changing power of Jesus Christ's love through crazy mosh riffs and vocal lines that inspire. Their purpose as a band is to share the gospel, give the youth of today clean music to listen to, and to challenge other Christians to live out and share their faith." - Myspace Bio

Well I ain't hearing any angelic vocals there Laughing . I don't think the vocals that they are using are any good for this kind of music.

Sorry, the tracks are ok, but the vocals are bad. I would have preferred using only clean vocals to send their message perfectly.

I have no idea why this reminds me of As I Lay Dying Rolling Eyes
charisco
legion wrote:
"This quartet is determined to share that awesome life changing power of Jesus Christ's love through crazy mosh riffs and vocal lines that inspire. Their purpose as a band is to share the gospel, give the youth of today clean music to listen to, and to challenge other Christians to live out and share their faith." - Myspace Bio

Well I ain't hearing any angelic vocals there Laughing . I don't think the vocals that they are using are any good for this kind of music.

Sorry, the tracks are ok, but the vocals are bad. I would have preferred using only clean vocals to send their message perfectly.

I have no idea why this reminds me of As I Lay Dying Rolling Eyes

So you think they should just use clean vocals? Do their clean vocals sound good?
catscratches
I think that they need to practice their vocals a lot. Both clean and screaming but I don't think you should stop with the screaming. Music without screaming is so boring.
legion
charisco wrote:
So you think they should just use clean vocals? Do their clean vocals sound good?

Yeah, they should. This is my opinion Rolling Eyes
mattchun
Just so so, I can find another thousand band like this one.
charisco
mattchun wrote:
Just so so, I can find another thousand band like this one.

Do you have any suggestions on what they could do to make themselves unique?
intruder_indeed
Well I certainly believe in Autumn, just cannot believe they are not signed up yet. Great way of mixing grunge with metal making it more understanding and a pleasure to listen to it. Love the fact that they have more than one vocalist on Thousands May Fall. The track also as a great lead break in it which adds a theme into their composition. Very well written and very well performed by the way. Whatever Your Going Through opens up with a nice piano and once again a very well performed and written song. A Nation To Bleed For as more of a grunge feel to it, and is far to much the same as a lot of this kind of material by other bands, not my cuppa tea this track. Living Water starts with a nice tempo and then falls into their familiar grunge pattern, it's not bad, but in some ways is starting to make me feel that the songs are very to much the same.

Thousands May Fall and Whatever Your Going Through certainly have great potential, and on the merit of these 2 tracks I would give the band a 7 out of 10. They are definatlely worthy of a record contract and i'm pretty sure they will get a lot of followers. I wish them all the success in the future.
GB
Potential is there. I don't normally listen to this type of music, but its not bad. If you are promoting them, try and get them on some good music podcasts like Ears to Hear and The Bored-Again Christian. You can find both in iTunes.