FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Office 2008 for MAC

ddoonie
Has anyone used office 2008 for MAC? Any reviews? I heard they ripped off a lot of ideas from the Pages App. Is it overly bloated as a program?
LukeakaDanish
I recommend giving NeoOffice (OpenOffice.org mac clone) a go before using your hard earned money on a microsoft product Razz

Its free, has all the same functionality as microsoft office, saves and reads all common file formats (including but not limited to doc, odf, pdf).

Best of all, its open source!
ddoonie
I think i actually may try it again... I used it a couple years back, it had its flaws, but who knows... I'll give it another shot!
LukeakaDanish
ddoonie wrote:
I think i actually may try it again... I used it a couple years back, it had its flaws, but who knows... I'll give it another shot!

Cool, good luck. If you have any problems using it, feel free to PM me, as I am a reasonably experienced OpenOffice.org user Smile
Ankhanu
Unfortunately, the open source suggestion doesn't actually provide any information on Office 2008... I'm kind of curious about its performance, level of bloating, load speed, compatability with other versions of Office, etc.

Yeah, I know there are other options out there, but I'm interested in knowing about all of the options Wink

So, has anyone tried Office 2008 yet?
LukeakaDanish
Its not out yet...

I recommend the wikipedia article of course Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_2008
Da Rossa
I was just wondering, related to this topic: Does Mac OS X (10.4+) really run MS Office 2007? It's one of the things that is clearly advertised @ apple site. But does it work in there? Does it have any glitches, hogs, etc?
Thanks!
ddoonie
I have Office 08, played a bit with it... it seems to have copied many attributes from the pages app... a little to fancy for me. I uninstalled it, but maybe will give it a try again when it is fully released (in demo mode now).
spykE
Just run Parallels or something and use the real office, way better ^^.
ddoonie
office 08, IS the real office...
LostOverThere
I never got why people always thought the Office standard was Microsoft Office. It's fat, bloated, messy. I fair prefer things such as OpenOffice, and from what I've heard, Parallels.
Kelvin
I'm starting to get a bit accustomed to Microsoft Office 2007 and now they are already out with 2008 version? Shocked So far I find Office 2007 ok to use expect for the drawing tools which I feel are not so user friendly as the previous versions in drawing straight lines. The printouts from 2003 below for drawn items also don't come out exactly as shown on the screen in some occasions. Having enough said, now i'll go have a look at MS Office 2008. Wink
Da Rossa
No, actually it is this. M$ has not released a 2008 version of Office.

I know it appears to be bloated, but Office '07 applications load pretty faster than OpenOffice in here.
Ankhanu
LostOverThere wrote:
I never got why people always thought the Office standard was Microsoft Office. It's fat, bloated, messy. I fair prefer things such as OpenOffice, and from what I've heard, Parallels.

It's mostly because that's what many offices have taken as their standard... and people like to be compatible. Open Office will use Office formats, but there can be issues with compatibility between the programs and formatting.

Parallels is not Office software. It's a virtual machine that allows you to install Windows or Linux (or other OS) onto your Mac and run it, as a window, on the Mac while still running MacOS. If you're using Parallels for Office software, you're simply running Windows and a Windows installed software package at the same time.
Da Rossa
So, anyone?

Da Rossa wrote:
I was just wondering, related to this topic: Does Mac OS X (10.4+) really run MS Office 2007? It's one of the things that is clearly advertised @ apple site. But does it work in there? Does it have any glitches, hogs, etc?
Thanks!
ddoonie
runs office 2004, not 2007, and will run 2008 soon...