FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why Has the U.S. Forest Service Purchased $600,000 Worth of

datter
In keeping with the recent spate of taser posts, how about this one.

Quote:
Why Has the U.S. Forest Service Purchased $600,000 Worth of Tasers?
ARTICLE SYNOPSIS:
Already in debt and understaffed, the U.S. Forest Service just spent $600,000 in purchasing handheld Tasers for every member of its Law Enforcement division.

COMMENTARY:
Near the end of the U.S. Forest Service's fiscal year in September, there was a hurried single-source purchase of 700 Tasers for the Law Enforcement and Investigations division of the U.S. Forest Service. The Tasers are now sitting in storage, as there were no rules governing their use or a required training program yet developed by the USFS.

In fact, there was no public input, or congressional review of the purchase. There wasn't even a written explanation as to why the devices were needed. There was a very brief justification statement that really only described the item for purchase.

More...
coolclay
Probably because they would rather tase someone then shoot them. They work remarkably well as a non-lethal way to immobilize someone, that otherwise may have had to be shot.
ocalhoun
^Which is especially important when you are trying to catch people at hunting and fishing regulation violations. -- People who are likely to have guns in their hands while you try to explain to them how they broke the law and will be subject to fines. Then you could have a good chance of avoiding public outrage over somebody who was shot and killed over hunting without a license.
jwellsy
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police have been using 3000 tasers since 1999.
It looks like they used them 4000 times.
And, they are illegal in Canada except for big brother.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/tasers/
horseatingweeds
Rangers are usually alone and police often groups of people in secluded areas. There are the people growing weed i the parks too. I say they need machine guns and hand grenades.
Tim Graham
I thought (this is according to Bill Bryson) the main fucntion of the US Forest service was to build roads (regardless of their actual objectives) - unless of course I've got it confused with another agency?

Tasers - as long as whoever is using them is trained properly - aren't a bad idea though, epsecially if when you're trying to explain to an armed, and most likely irritated, person that they need to pay x amount of fines.
quex
Return 'em. Tasers are not fun, and the folks "trained" to use them can get a little trigger happy.

If you have a suspicious or unruly subject to take down, an authority figure might feel he or she is free to use a "non-lethal weapon" for the purpose. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a non-lethal weapon. There are only "less lethal" weapons... and the taser has proven itself to be a pretty effective killer, actually.

I would rather take a hit from a nightstick than a shot from a taser.
horseatingweeds
You must have done a lot of study on the danger of tasers and NO study on the danger of blunt trauma. Regardless, you ARE more likely to die or be injured from a blow from such an object that a sting from a taser.
ocalhoun
quex wrote:

I would rather take a hit from a nightstick than a shot from a taser.

And I'd rather take a shot from a taser than from a 9mm.

I don't think there is any way to apprehend a potentially violent person that doesn't pose some safety risk to at least one of the two people. The taser is good because it poses no risk to the authority, and minimal risk to the potentially violent person.

(Using a nightstick makes the authority come in close, and there's a decent chance that the person will just take the hit, and then make a street brawl out of it, then cause a media outrage over cops beating an innocent (until proven guilty) man.)
liljp617
I would say it's a nice idea except I know for a fact that they will be used in unnecessary situations and the people using them will have little care when in a quarrel with someone, because there is no standard set on tasers like there is with a firearm.
timbertiger5
[quote="Tim Graham"]I thought (this is according to Bill Bryson) the main fucntion of the US Forest service was to build roads (regardless of their actual objectives) - unless of course I've got it confused with another agency?

Please don't look to Bill Bryson to explain the main function of the Forest Service. In my 9+ years with the agency, I have only seen one permanent road built - 2 miles to shorten a loop... those 2 miles closed an additional 7 miles.

With respect to buying tasers:
The Forest Service budget does not come from one large pool - separate "shops" have different areas from which they can spend money.

I don't know details of how it all works exactly, but basically at the end of a fiscal year, some money is "use or lose"... that is, you have to spend it or you don't get it rolled over into the next year. It's messy as to how congress appropriates the budget and the FS does what it can. In this case, the money couldn't be transfered to a more needy area - it is spent by whom it is appropriated to.

Public comment or congressional review is not required on purchases of any amount.
RubySlasher
horseatingweeds wrote:
Rangers are usually alone and police often groups of people in secluded areas. There are the people growing weed i the parks too. I say they need machine guns and hand grenades.

Seconded.