FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Website review please...

ddoonie
Hello,

I recently embarked on creating a new website for my dad, and figured i would ask you guys for your feedback... it is not live yet, but it is all online, if that makes sense.

www.srcpro.com/2.html

if you go to srcpro.com you'll see the original page i'm trying to get rid of!

all the links should work, aside from the home link as it is not 'live' yet.

Ignore the content and/or spelling errors etc... mainly layout and any general feed back would be much appreciated! Thanks!!

Darryl
adeydas
its terribly slow loading!!!
ddoonie
How do you mean? What kind of connection are you on? I only ask, because i have never encountered that problem before... Which pages are slow?

Thanks for your input...
adeydas
ddoonie wrote:
How do you mean? What kind of connection are you on? I only ask, because i have never encountered that problem before... Which pages are slow?

Thanks for your input...

i am on a 64 kbps connection and find it pretty slow loading. maybe you want to trim down the images a bit.
ddoonie
Thank you once again... Will trim the image quality down a bit. I'm curious to know the connection stats here in canada, the percentage of those with internet using a hi speed connection.
ddoonie
I have actually updated the site, so www.srcpro.com will work now...
snigna
I don't know, I'm more of an apple type so I prefer simple and clean things. Here there's just to much gradients and 3d buttons. And it's not a good idea to render all of the text as an image, it's just too slow!
ddoonie
Snigna, can you tell me what your connection speed is as well? Thanks
snigna
512kb ADSL connection
ddoonie
When you say it is slow loading, how slow do you mean? I am just curious as when i empty my cache and load my site, it loads within 3 to 4 seconds... I know rendering my text isnt the greatest idea, its just the font/kerning/linespacing etc.. It seems to be the only way i can truly control all that. Do you have any suggestions? I will save out my images at a lower quality so that it can load quicker.

Thanks again for your input!
snigna
The text itself took about 10 seconds. And the other part of the site about 10 seconds also. I don't know how the Windows web editors are, but on iWeb the same result can be achieved with normal text rendering.On a random page (http://www.srcpro.com/jobs.html) the buttons load for 5 seconds, but they blink in Safari when I hover over them.
ddoonie
Thanks again, shrunk image sizes, so should be quicker. I really do appreciate your time, thanks.
jackiz
ddoonie wrote:
Hello,

I recently embarked on creating a new website for my dad, and figured i would ask you guys for your feedback... it is not live yet, but it is all online, if that makes sense.

www.srcpro.com/2.html

if you go to srcpro.com you'll see the original page i'm trying to get rid of!

all the links should work, aside from the home link as it is not 'live' yet.

Ignore the content and/or spelling errors etc... mainly layout and any general feed back would be much appreciated! Thanks!!

Darryl

i like it ! Smile
it loads pretty fast 4 me and it looks good !
k_s_baskar
nice looking site. But instead of placing all the text contents in jpg, just place the orginal text in the page. it will increase viewing speed and it will take minimum bandwidth comparing to jpg files.
Smile
Donutey
Your page is taking an incredibly long time to load because you put all of your text as images (at least on the main page).

There is not point to doing this, it makes it so the text can't be resized (accessibility issue, I can hardly read the text at 1680x1050) and needlessly inflates the page size.

It also makes it incredibly difficult to edit the page text (you have to remake an image and upload it just to correct or add things.).

What you've made is much closer to a mock up of a web page, which is what I do before designing the actual website in the photo editor of my choice.

Get rid of the spacer gifs and use CSS and divs to position things. Also remove the needless general business type clip art images (hand shake etc.) to reduce loading time. If needed replace them with some specific images of the business at hand.
ddoonie
Do you happen to know of a way to control the kerning and line spacing of the text... this is the main problem i have with using dreamweaver... regarding spacers (i'm a newbie), i designed it all in photoshop and sliced up the images and imported into dreamweaver... Photoshop adds spacer gifs by default, will deleting them cause detrimental effects?

Thanks again for your input...
jesmil6
i think it looks very proffesional, but you could do some wor with the loading this. if i were a client, i wouldd also want to know if there was a more "memorable" name, instead of scrpro. otherwise it was well laid out and it looks nice
Fainte
Is that just a sample or is that a live site? I would strongly suggest slicing the images, creating backgrounds and inserting actual text. This site will most likely never get properly listed on search engines because there is nothing to crawl and no information for the search engines to obtain.

The design does have a professional look to it, a lot of 3d/gradient, more than I would use but still professional and appealing to the eyes. I give it a 8.5/10

For a site completely made up of images, I have to say this is a fast loading page. Anyone who says it's slow, may be on a dial up connection or something.

Nice work, i'm a web designer/developer if you need or want anymore pointers or help, let me know Smile
GB
My word for this site is "stock." Everything on it seems to be pre-fab. The photos look strange and I'm not really sure why they're here. The text is a bit wordy and doesn't really say much in my opinion. I don't mean to attack you or your design, I just want to help. Here is what I would do to fix it:
1. Clean it up, clear it out. As valuable in interior design as graphic design. This means removing the clutter and concentrating on the important parts--your USP (Unique Selling Point). What separates the company from all the other consultants out there? Is it their people? Their strategy? What makes them unique. This is important as it will form a hook in the user's mind and enable them to place a relative value on the company compared to other consultants out there.

2. Actually, that's it. I really think if your re-align the website to focus on the core of the company, the rest will fall into place. Put yourself in the shoes of someone who would hire this company. What thoughts do they have before coming to your website? How will they most likely get there? Who else are they considering?

Good luck with your site, I hope it brings in lots of business!
ddoonie
I truly appreciate all of your opinions/suggestions!! Regarding the content on the site, thats my dad haha, he wanted all the info. But in my defense, none of it is prefabbed!! Good or bad, i designed it from scratch haha. Can any of you direct me to good, clean professional sites that you would recommend? It's weird, after you design something, i kinda get stuck thinking in the same design i just did... if that makes any sense. Where do you get your inspiration/ideas from? looking at other sites etc?

Thanks again for all your help!!

Darryl
Runescapetown
Its alrite, loads fast for me. GJ. Did you use the cutting tool in PS to make the code all tables and stuff?
ddoonie
Yes i did, than just imported html into dreamweaver...